Against all expectations, I'm getting back into 40K.  This is because, against all expectations, some fine friendly folks are opening a FLGS that's actually local to me.  That is, it's in the small town I live in.

Activity is mostly been MTG and other card games along with 40K.  Since they are just starting out they don't really have any terrain to play with.  As it happens, I dont' have lot of stuff for 40K unless the battle is being fought on a planet that just happens to resemble the Ethiopian countryside.  However, I have way too much "possible terrain stuff"/junk laying about so I figure I could knock some things out for people to use at the store.

Here are some trees I put together (bases will be done later):

Trees2.thumb.jpg.44a5bf5271f2b01ec68ab84afc57e46d.jpg

Trees3.thumb.jpg.efb331910f16d05f3b56b867ab7c20cd.jpg

Trees1.thumb.jpg.2436ac879d774ea6ef15f316a5be6096.jpg

Other plans are

1. To copy Chris Palmer's board game punchout ruins.  So sad about all the punchouts I have thrown away..
  2. Add some Deadzone terrain bits to a styrofoam packing shape to make a bunker.
  3. Build some of the Deadzone terrain as scatter terrain.  Maybe make a tower and some barriers?

Any other ideas for quick, cheap, hard wearing 40K terrain are definitely welcome!

• Like 11

I've got a box of various plastic household parts I planned on using for 40k. But I haven't played in 10+ years so my terrain making has been doing for fantasy stuff instead. One of my more interesting bits is a toilet float. Instead of being the common ball on a rod it's a vertical setup. Like what you've done.

• Like 2

Remembered that I have a bunch of unopened ships for Star Wars Armada.  It's like hitting the mother lode in cardboard punch outs.  Also found some interesting flexible foam packing inserts that I think could possibly be integrated with the punch out ruins.

Ruins1.thumb.jpg.60a041cbf7959f1898926e18c3b4abb3.jpg

Smeared on some caulk to the cut edges to even out the foam's texture and prayed around some silver paint..

I'm thinking of going with minimal to no basing on the ruins so they can go on any kind of board or mat and they will pack together nicely.

• Like 9

Progress on the bunker and on the ruins.  

IMG_20170825_171640.thumb.jpg.e93d32c22f53daf2e7b5bb2e58ce49ef.jpg

Didn't like how using a wash to weather the ruins looked so I went with some sponge applied chipping. 

Originally I used the same paint color on the foam and cardboard bits of the tower but didn't like that so gave each material it's own color.

• Like 11

Depending on what you've got to hand...

Pringles cans make good towers.

Printer packing material (the inserts) make interesting futuristic buildings.

Could cut up a few egg cartons, make a lower lying pseudo tech thing (if paint will stick to the foamy kind, might check first, else get the recycled paper ones?)

Hills with styrofoam - always find myself needing more hills tbh.

I tend to take plastic bits I find on the street or from the kids' drinks, or other household items and throw them together with some glue and primer, voila, techy something.

Anyway just some thoughts off top of my head, good luck it's look like you're on a great start! also grats on the FLGS!

• Like 5

Any cheap toy or statuette can be a statue.

Cheap toy cars from a suitable scale are very useful for scenery.

• Like 4

Put together some more of the Deadzone stuff.  Tried to keep it semi modular.

Deadzone1.thumb.jpg.15b029642aa6ce3d3713ab17ac9c8c23.jpg

Thinking about doing some elevated walkways using the plastic foamboard I base a lot of my terrain with.  A landing pad would also be cool.  Hmmmmm.

I guess I should knock out more ruins first and then work on making hills/cliffs/mesas.  

• Like 9

Liked for how the tanks turned out not the Parkinsons. A neighbour of mine that has been almost like family all my life has that now too.

• Like 4

I am sorry to hear about your Mom's condition. My Great Uncle Eddy had Parkinson's.

Your terrain though is WONDERFUL. OUTSTANDING WORK!

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  She's pretty brave and does OK with the help of a good neurologist.

They come in many shapes and sizes and in any color you want as long as that color is dark copper.

59b42ccc71ad9_StorageTanks2.thumb.jpg.2f809c179eed85857599bb930e8bcad3.jpg

I need to think about how to base these.  If they were going to be used for Necromunda or similar some diamond plasticard with diamond patterns on it would be nice.   

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I think for bases I would go with concrete; broken, cracked, & dirty concrete.

Cork carpet is perfect for broken and cracked road bases. You could also use remnants of a cd case.

Awesome so far! Your stuff looks really good. Was just watching a let's play of W40K Space Marine and you hit the scenery pretty good.

I still have got some remnants of my Imperial Guard somewhere. Hm. Need to have a look. Maybe there is some stuff I could finish, too :-D

• Like 3

Interesting.  I was just thinking that I should look up a tutorial on how to make broken asphalt (mixing sand/grit into greenstuff) that I'm pretty sure I saw on these forums .  I have some cork sheets so maybe concrete would be easier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Interesting.  I was just thinking that I should look up a tutorial on how to make broken asphalt (mixing sand/grit into greenstuff) that I'm pretty sure I saw on these forums .  I have some cork sheets so maybe concrete would be easier.

Always good to give it a try ;-D

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack

About
      BASE SYSTEM ROOTS 
      When I moved from hex map to miniature rules gaming, I struggled to find any decent affordable scenery. 
      Thus I decided to make some myself. These were sold online under the name of Mechanized Designworks. I found many other people liked them. 
      This led to my decision to make an entire range accessible to the public through DFA, in the form of the BASE System. With your support DFA intends to create the largest range of affordable, high quality modular 6mm scale scenery and buildings. With your continued support, the range has scope to expand indefinitely.
      BASE System sections will be made from 3D printed design originals. Each section will be individually hand-finished before casting in resin, creating a high-quality finish suitable for your choice of model paint. 
      BASE SYSTEM CORE  
       BASE Systems are modular.  
      Example BASE System layout with stand-alone buildings There are many buildings, from stand-alone structures and themed sets, to totally modular sets that allow players to build a base as big or small as they wish. A host of new building designs and base layouts can be created by simply repositioning individual sections; while the same parts can be endlessly reconfigured to provide new vistas for each game.  

If you're looking to build a small outpost or firebase or a big planetary command centre for your games, BASE has you covered. Best of all: because BASE System is modular, you can take it apart and redesign it when setting up your next game.  
      Infinite possibilities and configurations await with BASE.
      Example of a large BASE system layout using modular parts BASE SYSTEM VISUAL  
      BASE offers a uniform look and feel across sets in the range. 
      While each module in a set is interchangeable, it will still conform to the overall chosen appearance of your tabletop. In addition, you can make sets look entirely different, yet cohesive, with a few additional components in different paint livery.
      EVOLVING YOUR BASE SYSTEM  
      Start small and go large … or start big.  
      Example of a small BASE System layout The choice is yours. The BASE System is available in box sets and individual components. You can evolve your BASE System at your own speed by adding components or sets as and when it suits you. (To help get you started with this, you will also receive two of some buildings at specific pledge levels.)
      Fire Control and HQ buildings  
      The Repair Bay contains 2 rigs, allowing you to switch between closed and open during your games.  
      The Geodesic Dome will feature a clear resin casting,allowing you to create features inside the structure.  
      The Class A Interstellar Communications set is just the first modular BASE system we hope to produce.
    • By kristof65
      It's been 6 years since I last played a sci-fi table top game in 28mm.  Wondering what is out there BESIDES 40k these days? What are you playing and/or what do you recommend?

My favorite in the past were 40k 2e and Necromunda.  I prefer more skirmish level, and capable of handling multiple players/sides. 
    • By dks
      I've been on a painting tear since ReaperCon.  Here's one from last week. 
      Pathfinder's "Iron Gods" Adventure Path crosses over into science fiction, including robots and androids, such as the android priestess Meyanda.
      Wayne Reynolds painted the cover of the Adventure Path where Meyanda appears: click for link.
      Bobby Jackson sculpted the character.  I like what he did with this delicate sculpt.

I decided to give her a sci-fi-styled base, not my usual rock/grass/leaf palette. 
      I started with a piece of plasticard shaped like square floor-tiles, gouged out some scratches, and added some debris (a robotic "piston" of two brass rods, a "cable" of brass wire, and a few chunks of rubble that I carved from the plasticard).

Enjoy,
      Derek

• By dks
      I like to speed-paint. 
      This past year, I spent a lot more time on other projects and didn't do much painting, but I got in a few rounds of speed-painting at KublaCon (in May) and at Origins (in June).
      I don't know why I didn't post these photos months ago, but here they are now.

At KublaCon, the speed-painters get to use sets of about 30 little plastic pots of craft paint, like you might find in a paint-by numbers kit -- joined in rows of sprue with flip-off lids, and all set into a routed piece of plywood. 
      I don't know who makes the paints.  The range of colors is pretty good, but some colors just don't cover well.

KublaCon first qualifying round:  big medieval zombie.  45 minutes.
      Man, was I rusty.  I didn't have a strong idea about the colors, other than green skin, for whatever reason.
      David Diamondstone was in this heat with me, and he won.  He pointed out that my paint-job was too clean for a zombie, and he was right.  His version had more dirt and blood.  I stole that for my next figure.
      (David has won the KublaCon painting contest, and gold medals and Sophie Trophies at ReaperCon.  Check out his work in the ReaperCon galleries if you haven't already.)
      I painted a second coat of black around the edge of the base.

KublaCon second qualifying round: modern zombie.  45 minutes. 
      Win!
      It had less surface area than the first zombie, which meant more time per square millimeter and a more deliberate paint job. 
      I had a better plan for the skin -- deep purple shadows, then green-and-pale highlights, plus zombie-riffic blood and bone -- then thought about the rest of the colors while my hand was putting on that paint.
      I also painted a second coat of black around the edge of the base.

I couldn't attend the final round of speed-painting because I was running a game at that time.

Three weeks later, at Origins, Reaper's own LadyStorm was running the speed-painting tournament.
      The paints were a 12 Reaper paints (black, white, red, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, Tanned Skin, silver, gold, and ... I don't remember the 12th color).

Origins qualifying round: a Bones sci-fi trooper.  Small and simple.  45 minutes. 
      Win!
      Three lines of freehand on the chest make for a basic rank insignia.
      I haven't done any more painting on him beyond those 45 minutes.

Origins semi-final round: Bones deva (#77363).  45 minutes, maybe 50.  We all thought it was a cruel joke to give us such a big figure.  Cruel yes, but no joke.
      Still... win!
      I got at least one coat of paint on almost every surface.  (Those few feathers behind the shield eluded me.  Because this was the flexible Bones plastic, I could pull the wings back to paint their inner surfaces.)
      I started with the wings: brown at the base and wet-blended to Tanned Skin.  If you squint hard enough, they actually look OK.
      I chose the aqua-green skin and yellow-gold sword to fit the image of a planetar angel from D&D.
      I haven't done any extra painting on this one, either, but I'm wondering how much better it would look after another 45 minutes!

Final Round: we had our choice of 2 figures -- a bigger hippo-man or a smaller rhino-man.  Both will be part of the Bones 3 release.  60 minutes.
      I chose the hippo because I had a vision of the gray and brown-pink skin gradations, but I couldn't do them as smoothly as I imagined. 
      Not a win, but still fun.
      I think his big mouth and teeth turned out well, and his bright tropical fruits look yummy.  No further painting on him.

Thanks for looking.
      Derek

• By SamuraiJack

About this project
      Hello,
      We are so excited and honored that you are taking the time to consider our project. Our tabletop journey has brought us so much joy and satisfaction to be able to play with friends and family. The quality of the product that our terrain engineers have developed is truly a reward all its own. That being said, we would like to continue as a team to provide versatile, durable, and affordable terrain to everyone who might be interested in it. 
      We created our terrain with the Game Master in mind. It is our mission to provide a suite of tools that could be provided that empower off-the-rails playability. We look forward to all of the community input so that we can tailor our efforts to bring to life the answers to the problems that we, as GMs, face throughout the multiverses.
      With your help, we hope to become an additional tool that can be wielded in the moment it is needed most. 

1 Set Our basic set comes with the following: 
      6- 4x4 inch tile floors 8- 4 inch walls 4- 2 inch walls 6- 1 inch walls 2- 1 inch doors The floor tiles and walls are separated so that the GM can manipulate the field as they see fit. There is no prep time needed because the walls can be dropped in place immediately and configured in any conceivable fashion. Our walls lock together with magic so that they are stable without needing to be connected to the floor tiles.
      We designed the walls with playability in mind so that everyone at the table can still have a good view of the dungeon without needing to stand up and peer in. Standard 28mm miniatures are easily visible, and even paper tokens can be seen without requiring additional effort. 
      By using the standard grid as a basis, we wanted to make sure that our product would enhance your existing setup, not become a replacement.
       *Add-on purchases are available for backers who purchase two sets or more.
       Our Forest Pack comes with two types of trees. We designed the trunks so that the leaves could be removed for those players or enemies who enjoy scaling the trees to hide or fire from a better vantage point. The $25 purchase comes with two trees, each of our small and large platform trunks.
      It is our great pleasure to offer our Caravel Add-on. This vessel connects with the same magic as our walls. The ship is stackable so multiple levels can be purchased if desired. The masts, sail yards, and crows nest are designed so that dramatic swashbuckling action can take place above the vessel itself. The masts can be removed if needed and can be replaced with the mast slot cover, in the event that the vessel is driven by oars or some other means.
      The ship is made up of three locking pieces: prow, aft and midship. The prow and aft can be connected to form smaller vessels and additional middle sections can be combined to create mighty warships or trading vessels. 
      The undercarriage of the ship has four pillar slots that can be used to prop a ship up giving the GM the ability to place lurking sea creatures underneath. This also enables the GM to utilize the ship as an airship if desired, flying above the battlefield and exploring the skies.
      The $149 purchase comes with the prow, the aft, and the midship. It also comes with three masts, three mast hole covers and one crow's nest.
      Our $99 Galley Add-on comes with the prow, the aft, and the midship. It also comes with three mast hole covers.
      The $22 Support Pillars Add-on comes with 11- 3 inch tall support pillars that can be used to raise your ship off the ground or can be used as flying platforms to keep track of PCs and enemies in the chaos of battle.
  • Who's Online   30 Members, 4 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)