Against all expectations, I'm getting back into 40K.  This is because, against all expectations, some fine friendly folks are opening a FLGS that's actually local to me.  That is, it's in the small town I live in.

Activity is mostly been MTG and other card games along with 40K.  Since they are just starting out they don't really have any terrain to play with.  As it happens, I dont' have lot of stuff for 40K unless the battle is being fought on a planet that just happens to resemble the Ethiopian countryside.  However, I have way too much "possible terrain stuff"/junk laying about so I figure I could knock some things out for people to use at the store.

Here are some trees I put together (bases will be done later):

Trees2.thumb.jpg.44a5bf5271f2b01ec68ab84afc57e46d.jpg

Trees3.thumb.jpg.efb331910f16d05f3b56b867ab7c20cd.jpg

Trees1.thumb.jpg.2436ac879d774ea6ef15f316a5be6096.jpg

Other plans are

1. To copy Chris Palmer's board game punchout ruins.  So sad about all the punchouts I have thrown away..
  2. Add some Deadzone terrain bits to a styrofoam packing shape to make a bunker.
  3. Build some of the Deadzone terrain as scatter terrain.  Maybe make a tower and some barriers?

Any other ideas for quick, cheap, hard wearing 40K terrain are definitely welcome!

• Like 13

I've got a box of various plastic household parts I planned on using for 40k. But I haven't played in 10+ years so my terrain making has been doing for fantasy stuff instead. One of my more interesting bits is a toilet float. Instead of being the common ball on a rod it's a vertical setup. Like what you've done.

• Like 2

Remembered that I have a bunch of unopened ships for Star Wars Armada.  It's like hitting the mother lode in cardboard punch outs.  Also found some interesting flexible foam packing inserts that I think could possibly be integrated with the punch out ruins.

Ruins1.thumb.jpg.60a041cbf7959f1898926e18c3b4abb3.jpg

Smeared on some caulk to the cut edges to even out the foam's texture and prayed around some silver paint..

I'm thinking of going with minimal to no basing on the ruins so they can go on any kind of board or mat and they will pack together nicely.

• Like 11

Progress on the bunker and on the ruins.  

IMG_20170825_171640.thumb.jpg.e93d32c22f53daf2e7b5bb2e58ce49ef.jpg

Didn't like how using a wash to weather the ruins looked so I went with some sponge applied chipping. 

Originally I used the same paint color on the foam and cardboard bits of the tower but didn't like that so gave each material it's own color.

• Like 14

Depending on what you've got to hand...

Pringles cans make good towers.

Printer packing material (the inserts) make interesting futuristic buildings.

Could cut up a few egg cartons, make a lower lying pseudo tech thing (if paint will stick to the foamy kind, might check first, else get the recycled paper ones?)

Hills with styrofoam - always find myself needing more hills tbh.

I tend to take plastic bits I find on the street or from the kids' drinks, or other household items and throw them together with some glue and primer, voila, techy something.

Anyway just some thoughts off top of my head, good luck it's look like you're on a great start! also grats on the FLGS!

• Like 5

Any cheap toy or statuette can be a statue.

Cheap toy cars from a suitable scale are very useful for scenery.

• Like 4

Put together some more of the Deadzone stuff.  Tried to keep it semi modular.

Deadzone1.thumb.jpg.15b029642aa6ce3d3713ab17ac9c8c23.jpg

Thinking about doing some elevated walkways using the plastic foamboard I base a lot of my terrain with.  A landing pad would also be cool.  Hmmmmm.

I guess I should knock out more ruins first and then work on making hills/cliffs/mesas.  

• Like 11

Liked for how the tanks turned out not the Parkinsons. A neighbour of mine that has been almost like family all my life has that now too.

• Like 5

I am sorry to hear about your Mom's condition. My Great Uncle Eddy had Parkinson's.

Your terrain though is WONDERFUL. OUTSTANDING WORK!

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts guys.  She's pretty brave and does OK with the help of a good neurologist.

They come in many shapes and sizes and in any color you want as long as that color is dark copper.

59b42ccc71ad9_StorageTanks2.thumb.jpg.2f809c179eed85857599bb930e8bcad3.jpg

I need to think about how to base these.  If they were going to be used for Necromunda or similar some diamond plasticard with diamond patterns on it would be nice.   

• Like 10

45 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I think for bases I would go with concrete; broken, cracked, & dirty concrete.

Cork carpet is perfect for broken and cracked road bases. You could also use remnants of a cd case.

Awesome so far! Your stuff looks really good. Was just watching a let's play of W40K Space Marine and you hit the scenery pretty good.

I still have got some remnants of my Imperial Guard somewhere. Hm. Need to have a look. Maybe there is some stuff I could finish, too :-D

• Like 3

Interesting.  I was just thinking that I should look up a tutorial on how to make broken asphalt (mixing sand/grit into greenstuff) that I'm pretty sure I saw on these forums .  I have some cork sheets so maybe concrete would be easier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Interesting.  I was just thinking that I should look up a tutorial on how to make broken asphalt (mixing sand/grit into greenstuff) that I'm pretty sure I saw on these forums .  I have some cork sheets so maybe concrete would be easier.

Always good to give it a try ;-D

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jordan Peacock
      For a change, I'm actually getting to PLAY, rather than be the GM: one of my veteran players is taking over in order to run a Pathfinder RPG campaign -- the "Kingmaker" campaign - -while I take something of a break.  However, I can't just take a break completely, so even though the GM has a bunch of pre-painted Pathfinder and D&D minis at the ready for the campaign, and is using printed battle maps, I have been focusing on kit-bashing and painting minis for the PCs (and eventually whatever companions and cohorts they pick up on the way).

Recently, the adventurers acquired a wagon after defeating a bunch of bandits.  It was a wagon in pretty sad shape, but they fixed it up, and hitched up a couple of horses "liberated" from the bandits.  This has made it a lot easier to tend to their assigned task of exploring an area known as the "Greenbelt" -- hunting down monsters (or, in the case of the kobolds, making peace with them), and dealing with rampant banditry.

From left to right (rear row):
      * Human Paladin Sir Greys (Reaper #77197, "Erick Paladin Initiate")
      * Elven Kineticist Selana Kelsa (Reaper #77036, "Devona Female Wizard")
      * Gnomish Rogue Lis (composite of old Mage Knight miniature pieces)
      * Grippli Oracle Chirp Meadowsong (Reaper #77165, "Hellakin Goregutter," with head swap from Reaper #77268, "Squog Warriors")
      * Kitsune Magus Yuri (Reaper #77473, "Kogo Male Kitsune")
      * Half-Orc Sorcerer Gruush (Mage Knight Minions #065 "Medicine Troll")

Foreground:
      * Human Warden* [spell-less Ranger variant] Rook Greys (Reaper #77320, "Galadanoth Elf Sniper")

The horses are a couple of plastic Games Workshop Warhammer Fantasy Battle horses (presumably from some sort of Empire set).  I had some "bitz boxes" out in the garage that I picked up at a game bazaar, including several horses -- either on sprues, or with badly-mangled partly assembled riders stuck to them with overly-caked glue.  I tried assembling a few and "dismounting" a couple more.  The two pictured are just two I randomly picked out for the picture.  (I figured there wasn't much sense in just taking pictures of the horses, since none of them are Reaper; they all need saddles and such.)

The wagon has wheels, cabinets, lanterns, keg, and crates/barrels of Hydrocal castings done with Hirst Arts Castlemolds.  The rest of the wagon is made up of wooden craft sticks (a mix of "popsicle sticks" and "matchsticks"), plus a couple of plastic head-pieces that someone had trimmed off of some Warhammer Fantasy dwarven mining carts for some purpose, and a random plastic shield hung on the side to show the heraldry for "Erastil" (since at least two members of the party -- the Greys cousins -- are followers of Erastil).  I used some epoxy putty to add a cushioned seat for the driver's bench.  I hope to personalize the wagon more as the campaign goes along -- adding trophies, maybe even some more shields or banners with heraldry of the rest of the party, or perhaps even a top for the wagon (if we can afford it, and get it done somehow back at the trading post).

I'm also working on some pieces to represent an adventurer campsite, but they need a little bit more work before I bother taking a photo.  (I tried making some tents with paper, and some others with putty.  Results were ... mixed.)  I suppose that's another thing I could imagine being useful from Bones: an "adventurer tent" (maybe even make it hollow), a "bedroll," and some sort of campfire (in translucent yellow or orange?): bonus points if it has a suspended kettle or a spit over it.  Beds and shelves are great for dungeons, but some scenes happen while the PCs are traveling and their camp gets ambushed by monsters out in the woods.  Or maybe the PCs are the ones doing the ambushing!  :)

• By Boaz
       That right guys and gals their not just for wedding cakes ... I like to fill mine with expanding foam (when I have a few foam projects lined up, the can of foam never works for me later so it's a use it or lose it) chop em up (once dry) and butter the ends with something rough and stout (I used flexall) ... a few examples from a city set I was working on before I moved (still unfinnished) ...

cities abound in hard cover so it's mostly for looks, nice looks but looks ... in a jungle or desert set it's a great way to add hard cover and have an overgrown lost temple (jungle) or lost oasis side ruins (desert) ... it's a simple and straight forward technique to add just the right sized cover in just about any table set you got ...

I got a large bag of them fairly cheap at a craft store (Michesls) a great value for the buck.

P.S. the Grey rubble is old model sprew rum through an old hand crank meat grinder ... who knew modeling could be so much fun !
    • By Boaz
       Started building a Kulathi battle force and colony outpost for their Kuden-3 outpost, in the Beehive star cluster, in the crab nebula ... 

Having 3 fingers a hand and 6 limbs the number system fore the Kulathi is based on 6 ... with 2,3 and 4 also prominent, so I based there units on 6 ...

An officer (2 pistols = smg) 3 left hand smg and 2 right hand automatic rifles make a strike team ... no other unit types teams can exceed the number of strike teams.

The fire team has 1 officer 1 smg and 4 auto rifles ... a longer ranged bite.

I'm also adding a few hound of Tindalos units (4 with 1 smg and 1 officer kulathi) with bigger things in the works ...

• By Gadgetman!
      One of my favorite authors have a new KS project...  
      Because there just ain't enough slice of life or baking in modern Sci-Fi books...

About
      Years ago I wrote a science fiction story about two forever-friends, unlike in almost every way--species, backgrounds, temperaments, orientations--and how they came together in a relationship that would last through every tribulation, including an intergalactic war. When readers asked me how they met, I wrote their college story. When readers asked me what happened next, I wrote how they began their xenotherapy practice. I'm still writing about them, in fact, because they are, bar none, my readers' best loved couple.
      Their names are Jahir and Vasiht'h, and they are dreamhealers.
      Some people call their story an asexual romance, but whether you go for that or prefer 'forever besties', these stories are about growing up, making choices, figuring out relationships, deciding on what your life means--or should--and baking. A lot of baking. They are cozy slice-of-life novels, and there aren't a lot of novels like them in science fiction. If cups of tea are your cup of tea, you might enjoy checking out Book 1 and 2 respectively. There's an e-book reward tier; you can choose one of them! This Kickstarter in particular is to fund the print edition for Book 3, Dreamhearth, and possibly Books 4 and 5, Dreamstorm and Family, if we hit our stretch goals.
      I love space ships and aliens and epic war sagas. But science fiction has room for quieter stories about what you want to be when you grow up, and the thorny personal challenges of day-to-day life. If you also love spaceships and aliens but want a moment's respite... you might have come to the right place.
      Stretch Goals
      We've got plenty to look forward to this time, including the opportunity for two more paperbacks!
      Bookmark 1. At $750, we'll get Jahir bookmarks! Every print backer will get one! Dreamstorm paperback. At $1000, we'll hit the Dreamstorm stretch goal, opening new tiers! Bookmark 2. At $1500, we'll get the Vasiht'h bookmarks! All print backers will get both bookmarks! Family paperback. At $2000, we'll do a print edition of the final book in the series, Family, opening Yet More Tiers! Risks and challenges
      As much as possible I've streamlined this one so it takes very little by way of work. I've gotten very good at packing and shipping things!
      I think the biggest risks are:
      1. I get hyper and start throwing in prizes and things that I shouldn't because I like running myself to ragged shreds doing stuff;
      2. I get too perfectionist about the things and fuss them to death over millimeter differences in whitespace only I am going to care about.
      I think I'll be able to handle #2 since I've done OVER NINE THOUSAND of these Kickstarters. It's #1 you all are going to have to help me with. Sit on me if I start gibbering about something that sounds impossible, please?
    • By gamer321
      Stars Reach second kickstarter is live. Come see all the new spaceships that have been added. If you see something you like, feel free to back our project! Enjoy, and as always happy gaming! Here is a teaser pic, more models available! Link:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twilightgamedesigns/1049132205?ref=452947&token=d5452280

• Who's Online   37 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)