Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Sophie was taken
Reaching into my box of Unpainted Things from Four Years Ago, I drew this figure. It looked simple enough, but turned out to have an awful lot going on:
This is probably the most fun painting I’ve ever had, there is so much going on! Shirt and boots are Gory Red, and cape is Royal Purple. The fireball is a random assortment of Lava triad colors with some Candlelight Yellow tossed in. Even got to do some freehand on the book pages, to questionable effect, but not disastrous.
C&C appreciated, though I am curious as to the origin of her name...
Working on a belated bday/doubling as holiday gift for a friend and DM. This was originally one of the "Nozgul's Marvelous Unpainted" human wizard minis. Img link (one on right). Converted it to better resemble friend's character: A heavyset archanist archwizard who is generally jolly, high, and giving out magical candy. The character also has lots of pockets and satchels with assorted items and goodies. He's basically the DM's avatar in game to point players in the right direction.
Anyway, his arch wizard character was taken prisoner at one point and trapped inside a jar.....
So I decided to try my hand at a jar display.
Used a metal washer under the floor in the jar, and magnets on the miniature's base, so he can take his wizard out for tabletop play, and store him in the jar.
The jar base has been a pain in the arse.
Bottom of jar isnt flat at all, so I cut a piece of heavy paper to the size of the base and then put it in and filled the jar with coins for a few days to bend it to the shape. Once I was satisfied it had molded properly, I took the paper out, cut it in half and molded on top of it usinf a base of hot glue, and topping it with modeling paste that I textured.
Scratched up the inside bottom of the glass with clarse sandpaper to give glue some grit to hold to. Put a few coats of black paint into the bottom border of the jar and then added a bunch of Elmer's for each half of the base. The whole base would not fit through the opening if it was one piece. I think I either used too much glue, or the Elmer's just doesnt bond well in this situation. But it's taken over a full 24 hrs to mostly dry.
Added some more paint on the jar base texturing, then used a sculpting tool to pull parts of the paint off the inner glass to get that slight tendril look, and now I'm about 90% done.
Still need to put a clear coat on the wizard, and may add some other details to him if I can figure out what will really help.
The jar, I'm thinking a piece of black fabric attached to the top part might work out well, with some kind of sigil.
Any suggestions or advice on anything else is welcome.
By Ash Adler
After almost a month of working on it, I finally managed to finish this one. Whew! It was fun to try to push myself further with blending colors using glazing (and the sheer cloth look turned out decent, too), but I really underestimated how much trouble it'd be when I started on it.
As usual, more pictures and my thought process are on my blog: link
I could've done with a bit more red glazing on the front of the skirt, but otherwise, I'm rather pleased with the results that I got from the parts that I really put effort into (I took the lazy way out on some parts towards the end because I was ready to just be done with it so that I could move on to something new ). The jump in the color on the hair where I did a second ink wash with purple is very stark in the photo, but I think that it's one of those things that doesn't look nearly as bad in reality.
I'm also pleased that I figured out a better way of lighting my photos, even if it helps show off my mistakes more clearly
Who's Online 45 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Bonnie Bailey
- Paradoxical Mouse
- Grumpy Cave Bear
- Darsc Zacal
- Mr Melons
- Pezler the Polychromatic
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Doug Sundseth
- Balgin Stondraeg