trappleton

Goblin Pyro! First attempt at OSL, C&C please?

gobbo.thumb.jpg.60b01fa433e93273f280ce57707106b2.jpg

The moon has blotted out the sun, so my little gobbo pal here needed to light a torch. How does he look? I'm particularly curious about the lighting, since I haven't tried anything like this before. There were three more of him on the sprue, so any advice you can offer will definitely be put to practical use! Thanks, guys!

• Like 21

He looks fantastic! ::):

I'm not great at OSL but how about painting the next goblin in much darker tones as if it's night or he's in a cave? That way, you can achieve a greater contrast with the lighting against his body & how far it raidiates outward.

• Like 6

Looking good. I'm sure the camera is not doing it justice. 

Take a look at my first attempt at OSL torch light. What helped me was using a small LED light I had and shining it on the guy from the point of view of the torch. Additionally, as you move away from the source it begins to dim, obviously, and that color is different from the one at the origin. From my studies of what other people far more skilled from me said is that red and orange are your go to for torchlight. Yellow would only really be super close to the source. Unless the source is super close to the object in question then yellow is all over the place. But the same rules apply for a more realistic approach. 

I found that if I didn't have bright enough colors in my collection I would glaze the area with white then reglaze it with the color i had... after it dries of course. If you don't let it dry you get a pink color from the white/red. Dilute the white and build it up. 

The farther you get from the source the more the color of the tunic or what have you starts showing up.  

Lastly, contrast (as TheOldGuard said) is what sells the illusion. darken the spot around the bright spots and the bright spots stand out more. If you have a fear of messing it up, do it in diluted layers until you get to what looks good to you. 

Again, I'm no master but It was far less scary once I started doing it. I now look for ways to add it to miniatures.

Here are some links that Ub3r gave me when I started trying to learn it.

You came to the right place... Here you go:

http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/01/tutorial-object-source-lightning.html

http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/08/20/a-beginners-guide-to-heat-and-light-part-2-fire-and-osl/

Spoiler

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 4

OSL is a particular skill to master, but i think for your 1st attempt you got very close!  I love the slight glow on his fingers and head,  the only constructive critism i could offer for the others is think about how the light from the torch would affect his sword metal.  light a candle and grab a butter knife,  doesn't have to be a ton of color, but maybe a dry brush highlight along the facing edges...but honestly i'm just reaching for something to offer as advice.  I'd rate that 9.7/10.

great work!!!!

• Like 1

I'm still trying to 'get OSL myself, so I can't offer much advice.

That's very good for a first try! Keep up the good work.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SirLarpsAlot
      WIP Thread here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77998-3-color-challenge-on-lendil-blackroot/
      Challenge Thread here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77990-cmpa-three-color-challenge/

I finished the painting on Lendil by adding some OSL. I found the purple hard to work with in terms of the effect. I wanted a brighter purple but the Royal Purple + Linen White didn't get nearly as vivid as I wanted. Instead, poor Lendil's staff is giving off a soft purple glow. It's fine, just not the final effect I was looking for. :)

I gave him a bit of a base. Just a couple of tufts and some mud. I need to start working on getting better at basing. I think that might be a thing for 2018.

• By Cyradis
      My D&D group's cleric picked the torch and scythe wielding townsfolk from this pack: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/townsfolk/latest/03123

My D&D group's cleric is an herbalist cleric. He provides the.... healing... herbs. Medicinal use herbs. He's an exceedingly chipper and happy character, much to the annoyance of the emo necrobard. 

But he uses a scythe, and decided to go with this figure. I don't like this figure. It has an ANGRY face. Super grumpy. All of the grump. Terrible choice for that character. 

Player told me that I didn't have to go high on the detail with it, so I didn't do as much as my usual. I still practiced OSL and I tried to turn the frown upside-down. I think the result is that he now looks like a very happy mass murderer, instead of just generically pissed. 

Anyway, rip it to shreds, lemme know what I can do better in the future. I didn't do the most exciting blending or layering or glazing by any stretch deliberately, though. 

I also was using a different location for my camera and I didn't feel like getting a perfect setup, so stuff is crooked and I'm not going to go back and take more photos. *HARUMPH*. 

• By londwch
      Okay so I dug around in the drawer and pulled out six unpainted bones that I got in my batch that I bought.

I gave them all a thorough scrub with a brush and warm soapy water and a toothbrush.  The ogre needed straightening up so I poured hot water over to readjust and then under cold to set.

I attached all six using superglue to fender washer bases.  I got this tip on you tube and have been sticking to it since I started this process.  They are running out so I will look for an alternative afterwards.  But these are good and solid and make a good base.

So now I have to decide which figure to work on....

I have not primed any and up until now I have primed using "151" matt black spray paint.  I did not know exactly what to use so I tried this when I began.   

I did pick up slightly after the photo and start to apply some blue to the Anhurian soldier using the same blue I mixed for a figure I was painting late last night.  But without primer it did not seem to want to settle very well.

The two figures I have seen painted are by Doctor Faust ; the hell hound and the ogre.   

Any comments/suggestions or generally helpful advice is gratefully welcomed.

• By londwch
      Okay gonna have another attempt at posting on here.  This time I think I have found the right forum topic as last time I posted I think I may have put the pic in the wrong topic.  I've tried to get the camera on a steady surface this time and snapped a goblin I just did while listening to my team lose 2-0 - so this kept my mind nicely elsewhere.  I have tried to thin the paint a little this time and add a little highlight.  I'm not too unhappy with this so I've jazzed up the base a little with some welsh slate and quarry dust again.  It's not perfect but it's finished anyway.   
    • By Citrine
      Balazar, the gnome summoner (Reaper 89023) was fun to paint.  That mould line running down the side of his hat thing was not that visible when I painted him.  Oh well, another one done, yay!

• Who's Online   7 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)