Thorn_678

Varnish reactivating paint? Help!

Thanks guys.

When priming with army painter this doesn't seem to be a problem. The problem with that is though is that it's Army Painter which is like trying to paint on teflon.

Try a reaper's brush-on primer for brushing on or if you use an airbrush try stynylrez primer. Never had a problem with either of those.

If your primer is glossy (as I infer from you saying it's like trying to paint on teflon), then it is possible you've used too much primer.  I had this problem with Tamiya primer before.  Light bursts of primer, dusting the mini, not coating it like you're trying to spray-paint it.

If you are using floor polish, I would place the blame there. Floor polish is not meant to be used for painting, and it will likely react in a negative manner with your paints (such as not allowing the paint to dry and "cure" properly).  Yes, I know there are people who use it.  I've used it.  But it's not meant for painting, it's meant for the use on floors.  You don't use a screwdriver to hammer a nail; don't use floor polish as paint.

• Like 1

What brand paint are you using?

I once grabbed a couple bottles of concentrated watercolor, and every time I added something on top, the watercolor came alive again.  I had to seal, then add paint for the final highlights.  Got some great blending, though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Doug's Workshop said:

What brand paint are you using?

I once grabbed a couple bottles of concentrated watercolor, and every time I added something on top, the watercolor came alive again.  I had to seal, then add paint for the final highlights.  Got some great blending, though.

He says in the very first post which paints he's using :;):

48 minutes ago, Doug's Workshop said:

That's what watercolor does. The binder is usually gum arabic, which is water soluble even when dry.

After watching some videos on YouTube about acrylic painting in general it seems that varnish reactivated paint and I am being too rough on the paint.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thorn_678 said:

After watching some videos on YouTube about acrylic painting in general it seems that varnish reactivated paint and I am being too rough on the paint.

There are some acrylics that are soluble in ammonia, and that would be a likely component in floor polish, which would cause the colors to run. Alcohol softens even more acrylic formulations, but usually not so quickly.