Thorn_678

Varnish reactivating paint? Help!

Both future floor and all my different brands of brush on sealer (Vallejo gloss, reaper sealer) are reactivating and pulling off paint as I brush it on. It pulls off all brands I've tried - reaper, p3, Vallejo, and citadel. What am I doing wrong?

It does this even if the paint has been dry for days.

It could be 4 issues off the top of my head:

1) not washing the figures with warm soapy water before priming, allowing the mould release agent to stay on the figures. 

2) type of primer being used (or not used) as Jack said. 

3) not allowing your paint to cure/dry long enough before applying the sealer. 

4) not applying the sealer fast enough and it starts to get tacky as it dries and can pull up the layer(s) of paint below. 

This has happened on bones  (washed) primed and not primed, and Dust Tactics (comes preprimed). No metal. This happened on old paint jobs as well as new (made sure in case it was a curing issue).

Are you thinning your paints a lot or thinning down the sealer with water?

How are you applying the sealer? Thickly? Thin? Quickly? Taking your time? Using a clean brush?

For the Reaper sealer, how well did you shake it?  I've noticed Vallejo gloss tends to stay tacky so I've stopped using it.  With Reaper's brush-on sometimes it settles and weird things happen if you don't shake it enough.  

• Like 1

Also:

• What are you thinning the sealer with?  It should just be water, for the ones you mentioned.
  • If you washed it with soap and water before painting, did you make sure all the soap residue was removed?  I've not adequately rinsed a few of mine, and the paint dissolved off them with the next paint or wash layer.
  • Like 1

I just figured out that this happens only on models that I used an ink wash on (which I mix my own using future and Vallejo ink). I do basecoat, wash, highlight. I think this may be the issue.

• Like 2

Future has a lot of additives these days, you would be better off just using sealer or matte medium instead.  Liquitex makes a decent sized bottle if you're wanting to buy in bulk.  

• Like 3

And are you absolutely certain that the brush or pallette has not been contaminated with Future wax?

What is your climate?

(Temperature and humidity.)

Using a brand new palette and fresh water to test. I live in California and it's pretty hot and humid today.

Not thinning the future at all.

Edited by Thorn_678

I have never used future, but as LittleBluberry has said (and I have heard from others), the new formulation has a lot of additives and is nothing like it used to be. Have you done any tests without the future added?

• Like 2

I'd not use future as it's not meant for painting. It's an old hack that painters used back in the day and formulas have changed throughout the years. Use only products meant to work with acrylic paints. 

It is also possible (though not likely) that it's your water that's got something odd in it.  From time to time municipal water supplies require cleaning of the equipment and that can mess with your water a bit.  Or even a bit of brush soap that's gotten into your water cup could be the culprit.  I imagine adding surfactants anywhere in the process would make it easier to pull paint up.  

If your bottles of sealer are nearly empty or old, I have heard of people having issues.  Especially if you didn't shake the bottle enough in the beginning, the ratio of different components (binder, matting agent, acrylic medium) can get thrown off.  

• Like 1