Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SamuraiJack

Live
HEX: Magically Minimal Dice

6 posts in this topic

About this project

HEX is a new kind of dice that merges the best of magic and minimal design to create an all new gaming experience!

6aa3191a9c133f64dbee7168f91afde4_origina

The Ultimate in Minimalist Design

Each HEX die is machined from two standard 16mm dice blanks. The finished die is placed in an acetone environment to smooth out any ridges or imperfections (note: the prototype is not final and has a visible seam, the real deal will look great, I promise!)

78b23c75d8ceca0e723f2907a198085d_origina

Features

• 21 LED's
  • 16mm Standard Dice Size
  • Ultra-low-power Accelerometer (MMA8491Q)
  • Ultra-low-power Microcontroller (MSP430G2101)
  • 2 LR44 Batteries

Leave it to Chance!

Get skill and psychology out of the way -- there's no way to tell which side is which in HEX mode until the roll is over!

Two LED Modes

HEX mode - the die remains blank until the roll has been made, then the result fades into view. Right now I have the opposing side light up too, should that be in the production version?

Full Color mode - all LEDs activate when the die is shaken and remain on for about 10s after the roll

5bb992ee67d45cf99ee47d40fd68915f_origina

LED Color Options

Based on feedback I am introducing color options! You'll now be able to opt for single color LEDs (all green, all orange, or all red) if you're not too keen on the standard multicolor configuration. You'll be able to choose the desired quantity of each type if you order multiple dice!

Long lasting performance

The microcontroller, accelerometer, and battery chemistry were selected for ultra low standby current consumption and will easily last a year of casual gaming and a shelf life of several years. However, avid users may need to replace the batteries every few months due to high LED light use. (Note: the dice may be opened with heat to soften the glue)

8cb2b0209c199d87a6a02f172f9294e0_origina

Moving Forward

Although the current prototype is good, there are some adjustments that I would still like to make before production.

• Keeping the lights in well-defined circles so they don't bleed across the surface of the dice. I plan to accomplish this by using reverse mount LEDs that would shine through holes in the circuit board
  • Optimizing the program logic to ensure glitch-free operation
  • Potentially having the shell of the dice injection molded instead of milled from off-the-shelf dice blanks (this might also allow for a snap fit enclosure for easier battery servicing)

Of course, I look forward to incorporating feedback from you all as well!

1 person likes this

Interesting idea.  Make it so you can put them on a charging base and I would more likely be interested.  Hex mode seems pretty cool.

I cant see any way that replacing batterys is going to leave you with a dice without an obvious seam (even if they manage to disguise it  during the initial manufacture)

as you say better to have some sort of external charger (even if they don't run as long as with a normal battery)

1 person likes this

Electric toothbrushes today use inductive charging, so it's not even a costly system... 

I even have a Casio 'smart' watch from the 80s that uses this system... 

You don't even need to use a battery, then, just a SuperCapacitor.

(As long as the dice is placed back on the charger after each use, of course)

52 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Electric toothbrushes today use inductive charging, so it's not even a costly system... 

I even have a Casio 'smart' watch from the 80s that uses this system... 

You don't even need to use a battery, then, just a SuperCapacitor.

(As long as the dice is placed back on the charger after each use, of course)

You'd be a fool to not charge your dice between rolls. That's one 1s sneak in.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

"Not enough battery power for six lights, one pip for you!"

:D

Edited by Jeneki
1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack

About this project

Everlasting Wet Palette: A must have for miniature painters
      Painting Zombies, orks, robots and all kind of monsters from a nightmare can be a lot of fun ! To paint miniatures, you need a Wet Palette to keep your paint moisturised. Today there is no straight forward solution on the market. That's why we created Everlasting Wet Palette, with best in class hydration system and easy to use and to carry airtight case. 
      It's actually so good that it is approved by Pro Painters all around the world
      With Everlasting Wet Palette, you will save your acrylic paint, save your time and be able to master painting techniques like a pro. Stand back, relax and focus on what's important: enjoying your painting sessions.

Because acrylic paint dry really really fast! So fast, you can't even take a short break or perform advanced techniques !  Everlasting wet palette is a must-have to enjoy your painting session :
      Save paint: the paint won't dry out during your painting session Start and stop at will: you can stop painting for a few minutes, hours or days, and find again workable paints when you come back Achieve advanced technics: thanks to Everlasting stable hydration system, and our smooth surface, you will be able to perform advanced technics like Glaze, Gradients, Blending, 2 Brush Blending And it's easy to use: it works straight out of the box, and the case, wells and brush holders were designed for your to enjoy your miniature painting!  
      Painter (5,9" x 7,9"): easy to store and carry, small to medium working space
      Studio (7,9" x 11,8"): extra large for Pros and Enthusiasts, medium to large working space

No bleeding No drying No overflowing Perfect to master advanced painting techniques  
       Your paint stays wet for hours when working, for days if you close the lid! You can stop and start your painting session at will.
    • By Iron
      Dear pilots:
      Next Tuesday, 19th September at 3 PM EST we´ll relaunch the Iron Wars campaign.
      There´s going to be a one reward and a 48 hours early bird. 
      The reward is going to contain the deluxe version of the previous campaign, the exploration mode, 10 competitive missions, 4 Iron Mech cockpit protection parts and 4 Steel Mech cockpit protection parts, and 8 Mech pilots. 

• By JuliaViolin
      Dear Friends,
      I wanted to invite you to join a very special album release project - "Legends: Fantasy Violin" live album CD release, where we are performing together with The Claflin Hill Symphony Orchestra and New World Chorale. "Legends: Fantasy Violin" album, originally written for violin and MIDI orchestra, was also funded here on Kickstarter, and you could download it at <commerce link removed> and join the live album release project at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/okrusko/legends-fantasy-violin-live-cd-release I hope that you will enjoy this music, and I am so excited about this release!
      THANK YOU for making it all possible!!!
      Julia <3 <3 <3

• By Shieldwolf Miniatures
      KS-3 teaser released today. Too soon to kindly ask for a new thread to open, so I'm -politely- dropping it here... 

KS-3 video teaser on YouTube
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      When we launched the Munchkin Special Delivery earlier this year, we made an error and underestimated demand for the box. After we launched the box on Warehouse 23, it sold out in five hours and left us searching for a way to get more boxes into the hands of Munchkin players. 
      Thanks to your support on Kickstarter, we shipped out over 800 more loaded Munchkin Special Delivery boxes. We were happy, you were happy, and it didn't take long for the requests for another box to flood our mailboxes and social media channels. 
      We are delighted to announce the Munchkin Holiday Grab Box, a pack of Munchkin goodies that is our answer to your demands for more. And to make things a bit more fun, we are also producing an exclusive Munchkin bookmark for the box . . . and we're even offering two different box sizes! 
      And both boxes come with the Twelve Bonuses of Christmas printed on the box!
      We'll also throw in lots of promos and random Munchkin dice!
      The Munchkin Holiday Grab Box is carefully packed by hand and will include a combination of expansions and/or blister packs, accessories, and a Munchkin rule printed right on the box. This is a special box containing over $100 worth of Munchkin loot for only $60 (includes shipping; U.S. only)!
      Need more Munchkin this holiday season? The Santa-Sized Holiday Grab Box is packed with $200 worth of loot for $120 (includes shipping; U.S. only).
      Can't decide? Get both! And in the Signed tier, one of your bookmarks will be signed by Steve Jackson himself.
      Do you need even more Holiday Boxes? After the Kickstarter rewards ship, we will open up a limited number for sale on Warehouse 23.
  • Who's Online   40 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)