Sign in to follow this  

HEX: Magically Minimal Dice

About this project

HEX is a new kind of dice that merges the best of magic and minimal design to create an all new gaming experience!

The Ultimate in Minimalist Design

Each HEX die is machined from two standard 16mm dice blanks. The finished die is placed in an acetone environment to smooth out any ridges or imperfections (note: the prototype is not final and has a visible seam, the real deal will look great, I promise!)

• 21 LED's
  • 16mm Standard Dice Size
  • Ultra-low-power Accelerometer (MMA8491Q)
  • Ultra-low-power Microcontroller (MSP430G2101)
  • 2 LR44 Batteries

Leave it to Chance!

Get skill and psychology out of the way -- there's no way to tell which side is which in HEX mode until the roll is over!

Two LED Modes

HEX mode - the die remains blank until the roll has been made, then the result fades into view. Right now I have the opposing side light up too, should that be in the production version?

Full Color mode - all LEDs activate when the die is shaken and remain on for about 10s after the roll

LED Color Options

Based on feedback I am introducing color options! You'll now be able to opt for single color LEDs (all green, all orange, or all red) if you're not too keen on the standard multicolor configuration. You'll be able to choose the desired quantity of each type if you order multiple dice!

Long lasting performance

The microcontroller, accelerometer, and battery chemistry were selected for ultra low standby current consumption and will easily last a year of casual gaming and a shelf life of several years. However, avid users may need to replace the batteries every few months due to high LED light use. (Note: the dice may be opened with heat to soften the glue)

Moving Forward

Although the current prototype is good, there are some adjustments that I would still like to make before production.

• Keeping the lights in well-defined circles so they don't bleed across the surface of the dice. I plan to accomplish this by using reverse mount LEDs that would shine through holes in the circuit board
  • Optimizing the program logic to ensure glitch-free operation
  • Potentially having the shell of the dice injection molded instead of milled from off-the-shelf dice blanks (this might also allow for a snap fit enclosure for easier battery servicing)

Of course, I look forward to incorporating feedback from you all as well!

• Like 1

Interesting idea.  Make it so you can put them on a charging base and I would more likely be interested.  Hex mode seems pretty cool.

I cant see any way that replacing batterys is going to leave you with a dice without an obvious seam (even if they manage to disguise it  during the initial manufacture)

as you say better to have some sort of external charger (even if they don't run as long as with a normal battery)

• Like 1

Electric toothbrushes today use inductive charging, so it's not even a costly system... 

I even have a Casio 'smart' watch from the 80s that uses this system... 

You don't even need to use a battery, then, just a SuperCapacitor.

(As long as the dice is placed back on the charger after each use, of course)

52 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Electric toothbrushes today use inductive charging, so it's not even a costly system... 

I even have a Casio 'smart' watch from the 80s that uses this system... 

You don't even need to use a battery, then, just a SuperCapacitor.

(As long as the dice is placed back on the charger after each use, of course)

You'd be a fool to not charge your dice between rolls. That's one 1s sneak in.

• Like 2

"Not enough battery power for six lights, one pip for you!"

Edited by Jeneki
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rotten
      Looks like a cool board game with unique minis.

• By cubbledice

It’s lighter, innovative, yet beautiful and functional. Starting from the CUBBLE Dice concept, stripped it from everything that made it metal heavy. Only the essential part was kept: the PIP display - the new HOLLOW dice is built on a groundbreaking idea, and it’s ready to be yours.

We have completely overhauled the traditional D6 dice again, producing a die unlike anything the world has ever seen. Made of anodized aluminum, this dice has no inside, making it an empty shell. An inverted version of dice that we already funded successfully, this dice weighs just 1.5 grams, making it perfect for anyone who loves tabletop and dice-based games.

Processing these dice requires a lot of time and multiple steps. Not to mention that the die is so easily bent during the machining process, we need to pull together some additional resources for this dice. Making manufacturing more of a challenge for us.

More about this project on kickstarter.com and search "Hollow" or click here
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      got a 3D printer, or access to a friends, or one at a library or university this might be for you

With this project I will be bring you a collection of Sci-Fi Vehicles and Artillery to be used in whatever tabletop game you choose. With more vehicles being added as stretch goals are hit. All sculpts will be supplied as 3d printable STL files.

Why am I doing this project?

My passions are sculpting, 3d printing and wargames. I wanted to be able to field the sort of armys I wanted without breaking the bank. So I started sculpting the sort of models I needed. After sculpting quite a range I decided to bring it to Kickstarter to enable me to further expand the range.

I have a Patreon page were I produce sculpts for my backers each month as well as a website where you can see some of my past work. So you can be sure I have the knowledge required to deliver printable files, and can be trusted to deliver them in a time frame.

Patreon: www.patreon.com/Duncan_shadow

Scale: The default scale of my files is 32mm / 28mm Heroic, but Being 3D Files they can be scaled up or down.

What do I get?

As soon as the kickstarter has ended and funds cleared you will receive 3d Printable files in a stl format. You can print as many of the figures on your home printer as you want, or send the files to a external printer to do the printing for you.

The kickstarter includes 7 vehicles 1 walker and 2 artillery pieces, with extra weapon options, (see below) to start with, more sculpts being unlocked in the near future.

Main battle tank comes with multiple turret, hull and sponson guns.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS. When you contribute to This campaign, you will receive STL files for the models as per your selected pledge. The pledge files will be delivered May 2018, with successful stretch goals arriving later. You can print these files for your personal use, but you may not sell the printed items for profit or distribute the digital 3D models/files to other parties.
    • By Darsc Zacal

Behold the Terrible Power of the Unspeakable Tomes
      Each polyhedral Set will come in its own madness inducing grimoire. It is the perfect way to transport your Elder Dice and add atmosphere to the gaming table. The Elder Dice grimoires will look great on your gaming table, on your shelf, or even on your desk.
      Elder Dice are a Celebration of the Mythos 
      Each grimoire snaps closed with a magnetic closure to keep your dice secure. They feature original Lovecraftian art in the interior. Elder Dice are designed to look both beautiful and horrific.

• By SamuraiJack
      Explore the Adorable 
      If you are unfamiliar with the Baby Bestiary, prepare to "aww" and "squee" as we reveal to you how adorable your favorite monsters can be. 
      What is the Baby Bestiary?
      The Baby Bestiary is an award-winning, systemless art and lore book, that teaches its readers how creatures reproduce, how to care for its egg (if they lay eggs) and how to rear one if you are bold enough to try.
      The book has no stats or charts, leaving it as an amazing coffee-table book that can truly be appreciated by any gamer, no matter what you play. If you're an avid gamer, there is plenty of information that a crafty GM can make workable into their campaign (and if you're playing 5e, you're in luck, see the digital goodies). 
      The book is all about the cute and, need I say more
      elder godspawn  
      treant sapling Which beasts are in the book?
      Volume 1 exploring 32 creatures:
      Basilisk, Blink Dog, Bulette, Centaur, Cerberus, Chimera, Cockatrice, Couatl, Dragon, Elementals, Eyelings, Gelatinous Cubelet, Gnolls, Griffins, Hippocampus, Kirin, Kitsune, Kobold, Leviathan, Manticore, Mimic, Minotaur, Nightmare, Owlbear, Phase Kitten, Phoenix, Rakshasa, Rust Monster, Sphinx, Titan, Treant and Wyvern
      Volume 2 exploring 41 creatures:
      Aboleth, Baku, Beithir, Bugbear, Djinayni, Dragon Turtle, Ember Demon, Godspawn, Enfield, Gargoyle, Harpy, Hippogriff, Hound Archon, Hydra, Kraken, Lighting Lizard, Lizardfolk, Medusa, Myconid, Naga, Ogre Magi, Orc, Otyugh, Pegasus, Peryton, Pseudodragon, Purple Worm, Remorhaz, Satyr, Sealion, Shambling Tuffet, Shrieker, Simurgh, Tarasque (the french one), Tatzelwurm, Troglodyte, Troll, Umbral Erebect, Unicorn, Wolpertinger, Xorn 
      Chimera Pup  
      Owlbear Cubs  
      Dragon Turtlette  
      Shambling Tuffet Collectors Slipcase
      art by Vincent Yau, though we hope to do new art for this collectrs slipicase! The collectors' edition is a hard-slipcase for you to store and protect your lovely Baby Bestiary handbooks! We do a very limited run of these and if we can hit the right goals, get some fresh art to make this run even more special!
  • Who's Online   10 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)