Ulfheathen

Ulfheathen Questions Sanity Ma'al drakar in 7 Days

I have decided to do this as my first attempt at one of the goblin challenges.This is also my first time doing a WIP thread. I am hoping I can get Ma'al drakar done around work, though I do have a three day weekend which should help.

My starting time.

20170823_140002.jpg.a764e48cebfb6f29720c353da0b38d88.jpg

Off to sling some paint.

Official Rules:

1.  You may use no brushes larger than Size 0.  As Size 0 can vary by company and brand, the average bristle  dimensions are 10mm long by 1mm wide.  When selecting brushes, try to be as close to this guideline as possible. 

2.  You have 7 full days to complete from your posted start time (including a picture with a time stamp from a phone or computer screen is helpful to establish this) to complete the model.

3.  All visible areas must be painted, and all paint must be applied with a regulation brush.

4.  No drilling, filing, mold line removal or other preparation work is permitted before start time.  The only preparation allowed is to dry fit your pieces to make sure the model is complete, and do any boiling and reshaping necessary to correct warping and return the model to "factory spec".   You may also clean the pieces with soap and water.

5.  All pieces as included in the box set at retail must be painted.  This includes, for example, the 5 adventurer figures included with Dragons Don't Share 2. (Note that this means you cannot remove any parts) 

6.  You must declare in your thread title that you are doing a 7-day challenge (ex: Ma'al drakar in 7 Days).  This way your thread gets noticed as a challenge so we can watch the fun and make arrangements for the prize if you succeed.

7. After declaration of completion in your WIP thread, you have 2 hours to submit your official entry photos in the Official Entries thread (this is to allow time for setting up of photo taking area). Up to 5 pictures per entry may be submitted. Link to entry thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76081-maal-drakar-7-day-challenge-entries-no-chatter/

• Like 15

I'll be doing mine around work as well, it should be a challenge. Just keep your eye on the prize, mind the rules and don't try to do too much. Good luck! :bday:

• Like 4

After work yesterday I base coated the body and back of the wings with dragon red.

20170826_134531.jpg.631ea935df38401704523a8c159f0d09.jpg

Followed by using frosty blue as a base coat for the white head and neck.

20170826_134408.jpg.dae6911aa55d97fd958a9d4d0f8c5fc6.jpg

Reptilian green was then used on the green head and neck.

20170826_134457.jpg.278790e95c9a5e3e580320ec3b990f5d.jpg

• Like 13

Here is where I was when I started Sunday. The black head and neck were base coated in nightmare black. While on the blue head I used void blue. The inside of the wings i started with tanned leather but that was going on to thin and taking to many coats to get good coverage so I switched to chestnut gold.

20170826_210236.jpg.1bd9169d8d5f6e9a39e698523e9e28b9.jpg

On Sunday I then dry brushed solid white on the white head, cats-eye green on the green head, tropical blue on the blue head, dark elf skin on the black head, and the red head and main body received phoenix red. The insides of the wings were done with buckskin pale.

20170828_075715.jpg.1f10481f98a16a0a9c24cc603e7ba6bd.jpg

The taking and posting the pictures has helped me find missed spots for example on my picture of the green neck above there was a small spot of bare bones white that had been missed in both the liner stage and base coating that has now been fixed.

• Like 14

Congratulations on your first goblin challenge!  In addition to possibly being sore, you may also find that going back to normal painting with normal brushes feels like a relief! 

Here's your fresh, new Heroic Fancy Badge:

maal.jpg.7af9cc679e1164f4118e2a65d379b14e.jpg

• Like 5

Due to life stuff, I completely missed your epic battle! He came out looking great!!! I like the base particularly, it really looks like redstone! :D

Congratulations on finishing your first Goblin Challenge, and welcome to the Terminally Crazy Painters club! :bday:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By OneBoot
      We all knew this day would come eventually. The day where OneBoot tosses the very few marbles she has left into the ocean and throws herself in after them. The blank 4th spot in my lovely Goblin Challenge signature badge has been glaring at me for several months now, and my personal circumstances have now aligned to allow me to attempt this, my final Challenge.

For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to his Kaladrax thread that started it all: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip/&

The short version of the rules is that I will be painting up Dragons Don't Share - 2014 edition in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0.

Here's the long version of the rules:

You are all invited to join me in my descent into further madness! But only if you bring chocolate and gummy worms.  

On a personal note, out of all 4 Goblin Challenges, this is actually the one I've been the most nervous about all along (yes, even more so than Ma'al Drakar). Those adventurers are likely to prove to be 5 lovely little time sinks for me, and I'll have to concentrate very hard not to get caught up in all those beautiful details on them! But who knows, maybe it'll end up being the terrain that eats all my time and sanity; we get to find out together!

My general plan is as follows:
      The first couple of days will focus on brown linering and basecoating ALL THE THINGS, while also putting on faces and eyes while my hands are still fairly steady. I will work primarily on the adventurers the first few days, but will take 'breaks' to work on the terrain and the dragon in between to let my eyes and hands relax a bit from the tiny work. My aim is to finish the adventurers by the end of Day 4, or at least get them to "good enough" status; fun fiddly detail bits can be added after this point if I have time, but even without those the figures could be declared done. My final day will likely be focused on finishing up the terrain, and possibly the dragon's wings. Not sure about that yet, but that's what I anticipate.  
      Started: April 3rd 2018, 4:00pm PDT
      Finished: April 10th 2018, 8:17am PDT
      Show-off thread:

Huzzah!
    • By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with The Great Kaladrax Painting Challenge, initiated by buglips*the*goblin, here's a link to his thread: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip

Feel free to boggle at the insanity of it for a bit, I'll wait.
      All done? Okay, so, being not entirely sane myself, I've decided to give it a go. I will be following the same rules buglips followed in his challenge, namely:

1) No using a brush larger than a standard Size 0 (no getting around it by using, say, a size 0 brush meant for house painting, for example)
      2) I will work on Kaladrax for no more than 168 consecutive hours (7 full days)
      3) The only prep time allowed before the timer starts is boiling and cleaning to remove casting residue. Removing (or not) mold lines is part of the challenge!
      4) When I begin, I will post a picture of Kaladrax with my phone displaying the date and time (I don't get the newspaper)

...That's it, really. Pretty simple. I will endeavor to make semi-regular updates, but when I get deep into PaintingLand, I can lose track of time. I will, however, be very good about taking awful WIP pictures as I go, then at least doing a batch picture post each day. I've timed this so Mr. Boot is gone at a work conference about half of the 7 days, so I will have a little more free time than usual.

So! Feel free to come along for the ride. I can't promise to be on here super often (or maybe I will be, who knows), but I can promise that the trip will at least be entertaining.

If you'd rather just skip to the end, here's my official completion post with pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/68762-oneboot-is-crazy-too-kaladrax-in-7-days-wip/&do=findComment&comment=1371410
      Final show-off pictures: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69015-kaladrax-reborn-in-7-days-by-oneboot/

Note: Unless otherwise specified, all of the paints used are Reaper brand paints.

Huzzah!
    • By OneBoot
      For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to the Kaladrax thread that started it all:  http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip .

For this Challenge, I will be painting up Ma'al Drakar in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0. 

The rules are posted below:

I will be starting my Challenge at 1:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time on August 2nd 2017 (link here).
      EDIT: If you want to skip all of the talky stuff, here's the link to my completion picture.
      EDIT: And here's the link to the final entry pictures.

Let the insanity begin!!!  

Huzzah!
    • By joepacelli
      The title says it all
      Has anyone come up with stats for pathfinder for Ma'al Drakar?

• Who's Online   34 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)