Phoenix Rising

77306: Translucent Slimes (Gallery Glass)

These are my first two painted minis in I think several decades, with probably fewer than 10 total even including my old figures. Being me, I decided to start with easy figures but non-standard paints. These were scrubbed, then primed with Army Painter Anti-Gloss Varnish to get as strong a grip as possible on a translucent figure.

I decided to do the flat slime as a Crystal Ooze. For this I mixed Gallery Glass Charcoal Black, White Pearl, and Pledge Floor Polish in about equal parts. (It's hard to really dole out equal portions with the Gallery Glass sampler pots...) I gave the top a couple of layers - about 15 minutes between coats, since it takes a while for the Gallery Glass to firm up though it's a bit faster with thin layers and the floor polish added in. I decided it was a bit too pearly and not quite dark enough, so added some more Charcoal Black and a bit of water after that for the last three layers. With the top done to my liking, I added a few drops of MSP Black Ink to the remainder and gave the bottom a couple of coats. The result was a bit too shiny, so I gave it a final quick finish of the Anti-Gloss Varnish to dull it just a bit.

The rearing slime is an attempt at an Ochre Jelly. I used the same basic 2:1 Gallery Glass to Floor Polish formula, this time with Harvest Yellow and Cocoa Brown. Again after two layers I felt the color was a bit too "happy" and added some more Cocoa Brown. I did two more layers and then added a few drops of MSP Brown Ink to the mix (not well blended, so I could make adjustments) and did a thin glaze with that. I didn't bother with the final Varnish coat on this one - the Ink glaze provided enough of a dulling effect on its own IMHO.

The pictures don't really do justice to the transparency of the Gallery Glass paint; phone flash really killed the ambient lighting through the figures.

crystal_ooze_512.jpg

ochre_jelly_512.jpg

• Like 18

Very nice, a lot less "gummy" looking than what we get with the Tamiya Clear Translucent paints!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Laoke said:

Very nice, a lot less "gummy" looking than what we get with the Tamiya Clear Translucent paints!

That's in part due to the finishing choices, I suspect.

Before I started I did some test runs on some frosted glass stones I got in a cheap pack of mixed stones at Michael's. The Gallery Glass paints alone are a bit thick and didn't coat evenly; these paints are designed to be applied thickly, are a bit texturable, and look only semi-transparent - like real stained glass. Hence the floor polish. The result was pretty gummy looking, perhaps not as shiny or clear as the Tamiya pics I've seen, and much less dense in pigmentation than a hobby paint, requiring several coats for even a mid-level color.

The non-transluscent ink on the Ochre and the anti-gloss on the Crystal brought the shiny (and the transparency) down a notch in the end. I suspect you could do the same to the Tamiya Clears and get a similar change.

• Like 1

Here's an image I took of the original two slimes plus another set I painted again using Gallery Glass and floor polish. The two new ones are on the right - an Immortal Ichor and a Gray Ooze. The Gray Ooze is exactly like the Crystal Ooze but without the Pearl paint mixed in. The Immortal Ichor is mostly Amethyst, but with some Rose Pink added in to lighten spots from the underside (toward the front) and some Magenta to add variation on some of the blobules. Both of these are more transparent than the first set; I hit both of them with a light coat of anti-gloss again - the shiny without something to bring it down is just too much for me.

Apologize for the lighting and perhaps the color non-clarity against the calibration chart; some day I'll get out my real camera and flash unit, but technically they're for taking photos for profit.

four_oozes_512.jpg.dd896db20647e77f26924059680613df.jpg

Edited by Phoenix Rising
to fix the name of the Immortal Ichor
  • Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Maledrakh
      WizKids make both Nolur's Marvelous and Pathfinder Deep Cuts miniatures, both similar in style, scale and the primer. These, however, were clear transparent with just their integral bases primed light grey.

I started by painting them all over with Army painter Anti-Shine Matte varnish. Then I gave them a wash of Citadel Casandora Yellow shade.
      When dry I then drybrushed carefully, using only "twelve to six"-strokes (think of a clock, the strokes going straight downward) with a pinkish red, a dark reddish brown and black.
      As these paints were both thin and carefully applied, the effect is much like a tasty gummy bear.
      Some dark blue in the eye cavities, followed by Army Painter Crystal Blue and Reaper Copper Verdigris on the eyeballs to make that demonic glow.
      The collars were painted with scale color Black Metal, followed by Army Painter Alien Purple and Scalecolor Deep Blue, topped with some more Black Metal.
      Inside the open mouth I painted some Citadel Yriel Yellow and Reaper Pure White.

Hell Hounds are really big dogs!
      I did the bases with black flock directly beneath the hounds, with a crescent of my normal green flockmix to the front. I dabbed some yellow and orange paint along the edges to hint at burning grass. The bases themselves are 3D-printed 30mm x 45mm lipped ovals.

72581 Hell Hounds
      Pathfinder Deep Cuts by WizKids
      Transparent PVC
      30x45mm bases
    • By Metalchaos
      Like if it was not enough, a hideous green slime and a bright ochre jelly ooze down the walls of the cave where you have established camp for the night. Their many pulsating excrescences increases their disgusting infectious aspect. They both clearly avoid the light radiating from your improvised campfire, but still the yellow one slowly crawls towards you. The greenish atrocity is only lifting itself in a misshapen column that whips the air without precise direction. You understand the threat while moving closer to you, the amoeba jelly dissolve an empty leather quiver that you left on the ground.

Here are the 77306, Translucent Slimes Dark Heaven Bones sculpted by Kevin Williams. I painted them using only yellow and green ink.

• By Kev!
      Howdy,

Here is one of the slimes with different color glitter paper cut to the foot print...

Kev!
    • By Pochi
      Yes, Jafar has an evil twin. He decided that "phenomenal cosmic power but itty bitty living space" wasn't his thing so he decided to go a different route to achieve his fame and fortune. His name is Aziz and he has been working on ways to call forth the dead.

I am running an Egyptian based Earthdawn game and realized I paint lots of pretty girls and hardly have any guys (good or bad) even though I do buy males. So, for the past couple weeks I have been working on all male figures - mummies, merchants, a cat...hey, it's a boy cat!, and Aziz. Now I am trying to get everything on bases.

So, I had considered putting Aziz on a desert base or a temple floor base but I didn't have what I was looking for so went searching through a friend's box of goodies. He tossed me this base and said "Here ya go, make it lava." Well, I didn't "see" lava when I looked at him but thought I could do something to match the green of the flame coming from the skull. I then had the idea of a hand reaching out of the....goo?....slime?....stuff? So, we started digging through the rest of his stuff and found some arms and heads (also bodies but I didn't want the whole thing) so I chose what I wanted and went to work on his base. I also used Chaoswolf's tutorial on making stringy blood to make dripping goo off the zombie guy's hand. Pretty pleased with how it turned out!

As for the pictures, the green is bright (Valejo Fluorescent Green) but not quite as bright as the pictures make it look. In the base there is actually some yellow and white swirled in and then I mixed some green ink with realistic water and poured that over everything. You can't really see any of the details in the photos. I might try different photos with lights angled differently or something.

Anyway, here he is! Questions, comments, critiques welcome and encouraged!

• Who's Online   32 Members, 1 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)