Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
No, I'm not neutering a 5 headed dragon, I'm fixing the sloppiness that occurred on Ma'al Drakar due to the time crunch during my 7 day challenge.
First things first:
Those aren't spots I missed, those are spots that I just spent the last few hours scraping with an x-acto to remove the mold lines that I'd missed.
Yes, it was absolutely as heartbreaking to do as you think it was.
I thought someone might find some use in seeing how I'm going about reworking things in my attempt to bring this beastie to Reapercon.
So the destruction's done, next step, patching things up and continuing working on the mold lines I couldn't scrape off.
So just a little thing that I finished on Monday.
WIP thread is here if you missed it: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/76415-guindyloo-vs-maal-drakar-in-7-days/&page=1
These are just some of the pictures that I took after I finished when I was half dead. If you want to see something specific, let me know and I can take some more.
Most likely, I will be working on this some more post challenge, so I wanted to get a show off up before I change too much....if that's a thing that I do.
Showing off my freshly painted goblin 7 day challenge Ma'al drakar. This challenge was not what I was expecting. I thought that attempting a miniature of this size in a short time span would stress me out, but apparently I'm weird because this has been the most relaxing week I've had in a while.
Not gonna lie, I'm really nervous about this one. I may be making a terrible mistake, but I am going to be attempting to paint this giant 5 headed dragon in 7 days with a size 0 brush while working my usual work schedule that tends to run around 56 hours. I will have a 3 day weekend to end it out, but I originally wanted to take a solid week off to do this, but my work situation may be changing in the next couple of months - nothing bad, mind you, but I might not have as much time off as I have in previous years and I'd rather not wait until the holidays to see how things shake out. Let's be real here, doing this particular challenge while working a 56 hour week is not just crazy, it's stupid. But it's what I have to work with and I am probably both crazy and stupid.
I have the added complication that we are probably going to get a lot of throw off rain coming over from Harvey and my area does flood, so I may lose even more hours if I get stuck at the office or stuck in the grocery parking lot waiting for the water to go down. Or the power could go out and I will have to paint by candlelight. Everybody keep your fingers crossed for me that such things will not occur.
So here's my version of the roolz. If you're new to the 7 day challenges, take my version only as an amusing thing to read and check out the Official rules here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69639-7-day-goblin-challenge-official-rules/
1) Thou shalt not use any brush larger than a standard size 0. 0 shall be the number on the brush, and the number on the brush shall be 0. 1 shalt thou not use, neither use thou 2, excepting that thou ensures that it is actually 0/2 on the brush. 5 is right out. Once the size 0, being the correct number, be reached, then lobbest thy size 0 brush towards thy foe, who being made of Bones, shall be painted.
2) 7 full days (168 consecutive hours) from when the timer starts are all the time that is allowed in this challenge; whether that time is spent working, sleeping, painting or sobbing uncontrollably is up to the participant. The timer starts with the posting of a picture of all of the many pieces of Ma'al Drakar and the intended brush(es) to be used and a device bearing the participant's local time. The challenge will therefore end at the same time 7 days (168 consecutive hours) later or whenever the task is declared as completed prior to time running out, or whenever the participant should happen to pass out and/or expire.
3) All visible areas must be painted, and all paint must be applied with a regulation brush. Putting a blindfold on oneself in an attempt to bypass this rule will not work.
4) Boiling to correct warpage and scrubbing the model to remove casting residue are the only prep tasks allowed prior to the timer being started. Removing mold lines, greenstuffing or otherwise altering the original sculpt in any way beyond factory spec is prohibited and way not cool, man.
5) All pieces as included in the box set at retail must be painted. This means no pretending that you aesthetically prefer a 4 headed dragon and thus cut off one of the heads to avoid painting it.
6) Each participant must declare in their thread title that it is an attempt at completing a 7 day challenge so that the organizer can make note of the participant's valiant effort and the rest of the community can watch the fascinating downward spiral into insanity.
7) After declaration of completion, the participant will have 2 hours to submit their official entry photos in the Official Entries thread. Up to 5 pictures per entry may be submitted. Failure to submit photos within the given 2 hour period may result in a sudden onset of spontaneous human combustion. It is not appropriate to include pictures of oneself in the official entries thread, not only would that be strange, but everyone knows that cameras steal your soul.
8) Failure to complete the Goblin Challenge in the allotted time may result in the participant becoming a goblin themselves, although in rare cases, the participant may have the option of completing a labyrinth in 13 hours to avoid this penalty. The inclusion of a singing referee in too-tight pants in this additional penalty round is, unfortunately, no longer an option. The participant waves all responsibility of the challenge organizer should they fail and thus become a goblin, or should they lose their head or other various body parts, become trapped in an oubliette forever, or find themselves plagued by an eternal stench.
I will be starting approximately 8 hours from now, or whenever I manage to get home from work. Oh and by the way, I haven't been able to get myself to paint very much for the past few months. Hell of a way to force oneself back into painting, isn't it?
For those of you unfamiliar with Goblin Painting Challenges, started by our very own @buglips*the*goblin, here is a link to the Kaladrax thread that started it all: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51269-kaladrax-in-seven-days-buglips-is-crazy-wip .
For this Challenge, I will be painting up Ma'al Drakar in 7 days, using no brushes larger than a size 0.
The rules are posted below:
I will be starting my Challenge at 1:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time on August 2nd 2017 (link here).
EDIT: If you want to skip all of the talky stuff, here's the link to my completion picture.
Let the insanity begin!!!
Who's Online 21 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)