SisterMaryNapalm

Some thoughts on tabletop faction color concept ... please

Hello everyone,

I could use an advice or more some thoughts on something I am working on.

I've once again dived headlong right into a new project for someone else.

The topic is a pulp style game that is set in an alternate time of the 40s and incorporates some kind of superold cults and stuff.

Anyway - I've been task to create a faction consisting of an android species that was originally created by one of the fractions as some kind of statues and then came to life by being merged with a soul. But as metal is a obviously a really unfitting material to merge with souls, those machine lifeforms became something like lost souls.

Not they are out for revenge and fight the other factions.

I am currently thinking about the colour scheme. As for the bodies, I thought about using sisters of silence from the warhammer universe and equip them with swords, MG 42 and FG 42 light machine guns to make them fit into the whole scenario.

As for the faces I wanted to use a more light colour and white hair. I mean - why should androids have got different hair colours?

thumb.jpg

I'd like to have them have red glowing eyes. Like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

And I then I thought of using the YoRHa heavy armor of the NieR Automata franchise as color reference.

This is a guild wars 2 mod that gets as close as possible.

BMPWJJK.png

more picture here:

GW Nier Automata Style Armor

But now I thought ... maybe thats a bit too dark. I mean - rather dark weapons, dark clothes, dark armor, only a bit of light color on the head and the hair. I am not sure if I'd consider that fitting.

I'd like to hear your opinions on that topic.

Edited by Knochensack
  • Like 2

Mostly a red or purple is very strong with blacks.

Or use a yellow, like wasps?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Mostly a red or purple is very strong with blacks.

Or use a yellow, like wasps?

Hm. I don't like yellow as a color - though I see what you're aiming at. Maybe some orange instead?

As for red or purple - I don't know. I don't know if it would be fitting for an armor. And then again - I want the red glowing eyes to pop out, and if everything is in that style of color, it won't have the same effect I fear. Which reminds me - I've got to update my Sophie thread!

But I'll give it a thought. Need to check how to implement such colours.

Edited by Knochensack
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:
  Reveal hidden contents

828ffafa0c5f071c18ddeaca864b706a.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

ninja-gaiden-sigma-2-plus-18012013b.jpg

Would that fit into a 1940s scenario? And I don't know if something like that would overstress my abilities. Its quite delicate.

And then: the armor of the sisters is ... kinda medieval-like - if that would fit?

Sistersofsilence+%25281%2529.PNG

Edited by Knochensack
  • Like 1

I see!

Maybe only on the loincloth/tabard?

Or the gauntlets, some parts of the breastplate and shin guards?

• Like 1

If you're going for 1940's styles, maybe do an image search on 1940s comics/pulp novel covers. You'd get a feel of the color schemes of the time.

• Like 3

On 31.8.2017 at 6:55 PM, Cranky Dog said:

If you're going for 1940's styles, maybe do an image search on 1940s comics/pulp novel covers. You'd get a feel of the color schemes of the time.

Yeah, I did some research on the topic and ... it was a bit virulent for my liking - haha. But still. bad guys wear mostly black or dark colors. So I think that might work. On the other hand I went over to the gothic designs, which are also in black or rather dark colours, so ... well ... I then might give it a shot and will see where it ends.

On 31.8.2017 at 6:54 PM, Glitterwolf said:

I see!

Maybe only on the loincloth/tabard?

Or the gauntlets, some parts of the breastplate and shin guards?

Yeah, I think i will give it a try.

• Like 1

I think the dark image looks just fine. Maybe add some some dark blues or purple for accents. The glowing eyes will look amazing! Idk much about 40s style so I can't really say much(most pics I looked up were black and white anyway).

• Like 2

Could go with villains in dark purple, Kilgrave (Jessica Jones' villain) style. He always has purple and is one evil broccoli-face. 

• Like 2

On 2.9.2017 at 5:05 PM, Glamberry said:

I think the dark image looks just fine. Maybe add some some dark blues or purple for accents. The glowing eyes will look amazing! Idk much about 40s style so I can't really say much(most pics I looked up were black and white anyway).

Yeah, the longer I think about it, the better I figure it myself. I guess that could work. I could go for some differences in specific armour parts. I just found a number of pictures where Nier Automata clothes had a maroon color style added to the black armor. And I figure that could be good to differentiate the respective units from each other.

Sounds good so far.

On 2.9.2017 at 5:45 PM, Cyradis said:

Could go with villains in dark purple, Kilgrave (Jessica Jones' villain) style. He always has purple and is one evil broccoli-face. 

I don't like broccoli, so that won't be taken in concern. Regarding the purple, please check my answer towards Glamberry.

• Like 2

There are a lot of cool ideas you could do with this.  

1940s female automata - Bronzed metallic faces/skintones for warmth with cloths in subdued cool black and a secondary warm border color (yellow/red/orange).  

- It seems part of the conflict with this is that the sisters models you are wanting to use though have more armor plating than cloth like the picture you reference.  If you make the skintones metallic, with mechanical themed lines scoring the model, you can communicate automata while having cloth carry some of that femme fatale look.  If you use silver/grays, you will have two cool colors, but if you use bronze/golds, you will create contrast. . . Dang, now I'm going to have to do this.  

Good luck finding models to suit your purpose as a base.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arydis said:

There are a lot of cool ideas you could do with this.  

1940s female automata - Bronzed metallic faces/skintones for warmth with cloths in subdued cool black and a secondary warm border color (yellow/red/orange).  

- It seems part of the conflict with this is that the sisters models you are wanting to use though have more armor plating than cloth like the picture you reference.  If you make the skintones metallic, with mechanical themed lines scoring the model, you can communicate automata while having cloth carry some of that femme fatale look.  If you use silver/grays, you will have two cool colors, but if you use bronze/golds, you will create contrast. . . Dang, now I'm going to have to do this.  

Good luck finding models to suit your purpose as a base.  

I will take that in account. Thank you for your comment!

Update: As I had to figure out, the sisters of silence are quite a pain to convert due to the way their bodies are cast. Well then - let's divert from the original plan. I'll take all your ideas in account and will make some female killer robot knights out of them - slight change of background included. Gnar-haha.

• Like 3