Knochensack

Some thoughts on tabletop faction color concept ... please

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

I could use an advice or more some thoughts on something I am working on.

I've once again dived headlong right into a new project for someone else.

The topic is a pulp style game that is set in an alternate time of the 40s and incorporates some kind of superold cults and stuff.

Anyway - I've been task to create a faction consisting of an android species that was originally created by one of the fractions as some kind of statues and then came to life by being merged with a soul. But as metal is a obviously a really unfitting material to merge with souls, those machine lifeforms became something like lost souls.

Not they are out for revenge and fight the other factions.

I am currently thinking about the colour scheme. As for the bodies, I thought about using sisters of silence from the warhammer universe and equip them with swords, MG 42 and FG 42 light machine guns to make them fit into the whole scenario.

As for the faces I wanted to use a more light colour and white hair. I mean - why should androids have got different hair colours?

thumb.jpg

I'd like to have them have red glowing eyes. Like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

And I then I thought of using the YoRHa heavy armor of the NieR Automata franchise as color reference.

This is a guild wars 2 mod that gets as close as possible.

BMPWJJK.png

more picture here:

GW Nier Automata Style Armor

But now I thought ... maybe thats a bit too dark. I mean - rather dark weapons, dark clothes, dark armor, only a bit of light color on the head and the hair. I am not sure if I'd consider that fitting.

I'd like to hear your opinions on that topic.

Edited by Knochensack
2 people like this

Mostly a red or purple is very strong with blacks.

Or use a yellow, like wasps?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Mostly a red or purple is very strong with blacks.

Or use a yellow, like wasps?

Hm. I don't like yellow as a color - though I see what you're aiming at. Maybe some orange instead?

As for red or purple - I don't know. I don't know if it would be fitting for an armor. And then again - I want the red glowing eyes to pop out, and if everything is in that style of color, it won't have the same effect I fear. Which reminds me - I've got to update my Sophie thread!

But I'll give it a thought. Need to check how to implement such colours.

Edited by Knochensack
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Spoiler

828ffafa0c5f071c18ddeaca864b706a.jpg

Spoiler

ninja-gaiden-sigma-2-plus-18012013b.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:
  Reveal hidden contents

828ffafa0c5f071c18ddeaca864b706a.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

ninja-gaiden-sigma-2-plus-18012013b.jpg

Would that fit into a 1940s scenario? And I don't know if something like that would overstress my abilities. Its quite delicate.

And then: the armor of the sisters is ... kinda medieval-like - if that would fit?

Sistersofsilence+%25281%2529.PNG

Edited by Knochensack
1 person likes this

I see!

Maybe only on the loincloth/tabard?

Or the gauntlets, some parts of the breastplate and shin guards?

1 person likes this

If you're going for 1940's styles, maybe do an image search on 1940s comics/pulp novel covers. You'd get a feel of the color schemes of the time.

3 people like this

On 31.8.2017 at 6:55 PM, Cranky Dog said:

If you're going for 1940's styles, maybe do an image search on 1940s comics/pulp novel covers. You'd get a feel of the color schemes of the time.

Yeah, I did some research on the topic and ... it was a bit virulent for my liking - haha. But still. bad guys wear mostly black or dark colors. So I think that might work. On the other hand I went over to the gothic designs, which are also in black or rather dark colours, so ... well ... I then might give it a shot and will see where it ends.

On 31.8.2017 at 6:54 PM, Glitterwolf said:

I see!

Maybe only on the loincloth/tabard?

Or the gauntlets, some parts of the breastplate and shin guards?

Yeah, I think i will give it a try.

1 person likes this

I think the dark image looks just fine. Maybe add some some dark blues or purple for accents. The glowing eyes will look amazing! Idk much about 40s style so I can't really say much(most pics I looked up were black and white anyway).

2 people like this

Could go with villains in dark purple, Kilgrave (Jessica Jones' villain) style. He always has purple and is one evil broccoli-face. 

2 people like this

On 2.9.2017 at 5:05 PM, Glamberry said:

I think the dark image looks just fine. Maybe add some some dark blues or purple for accents. The glowing eyes will look amazing! Idk much about 40s style so I can't really say much(most pics I looked up were black and white anyway).

Yeah, the longer I think about it, the better I figure it myself. I guess that could work. I could go for some differences in specific armour parts. I just found a number of pictures where Nier Automata clothes had a maroon color style added to the black armor. And I figure that could be good to differentiate the respective units from each other.

Sounds good so far.

On 2.9.2017 at 5:45 PM, Cyradis said:

Could go with villains in dark purple, Kilgrave (Jessica Jones' villain) style. He always has purple and is one evil broccoli-face. 

I don't like broccoli, so that won't be taken in concern. Regarding the purple, please check my answer towards Glamberry.

2 people like this

There are a lot of cool ideas you could do with this.  

1940s female automata - Bronzed metallic faces/skintones for warmth with cloths in subdued cool black and a secondary warm border color (yellow/red/orange).  

- It seems part of the conflict with this is that the sisters models you are wanting to use though have more armor plating than cloth like the picture you reference.  If you make the skintones metallic, with mechanical themed lines scoring the model, you can communicate automata while having cloth carry some of that femme fatale look.  If you use silver/grays, you will have two cool colors, but if you use bronze/golds, you will create contrast. . . Dang, now I'm going to have to do this.  

Good luck finding models to suit your purpose as a base.  

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Arydis said:

There are a lot of cool ideas you could do with this.  

1940s female automata - Bronzed metallic faces/skintones for warmth with cloths in subdued cool black and a secondary warm border color (yellow/red/orange).  

- It seems part of the conflict with this is that the sisters models you are wanting to use though have more armor plating than cloth like the picture you reference.  If you make the skintones metallic, with mechanical themed lines scoring the model, you can communicate automata while having cloth carry some of that femme fatale look.  If you use silver/grays, you will have two cool colors, but if you use bronze/golds, you will create contrast. . . Dang, now I'm going to have to do this.  

Good luck finding models to suit your purpose as a base.  

I will take that in account. Thank you for your comment!

Update: As I had to figure out, the sisters of silence are quite a pain to convert due to the way their bodies are cast. Well then - let's divert from the original plan. I'll take all your ideas in account and will make some female killer robot knights out of them - slight change of background included. Gnar-haha.

3 people like this

Interested to see what your creativity will bring forth.  

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Knochensack
      Hello everyone,

So this is my first project ever posted in this forum - yay. I am so excited.

Anyway - I have to admit I am not the best miniature painter - I am far away from that. I can't understand color theory, keep forgetting important steps and in those moments where I should be patient, I can't wait and ruin everything. Haha - nevertheless I try to become better and therefore I started this project.

Some time ago I came up with the idea to create an all-female soviet infantry battalion for the Bolt Action wargame.

If you want to know more, please check out this link: Strike Witches - All-Female Soviet Infantry Platoon (Warlord Games Forum)

It soon became apparent to me that the use of infantry alone wouldn't make any sense, so I decided to get me some tanks and personnel to man them - tank riders and officers to command the vehicles.

My army itself is painted in a merely tabletop standard, but as I am always flashed by what a good painter can achieve, I want to take the chance and try to enhance my skills by reading and watching tutorials on how to improve certain aspects of my painting and as the tanks will be standing out of the masses of infantry, I want their commanders to stand out, too.

That said, I started painting the three ladies using i.e. Corporeas face painting tutorial, didn't like the outcome, stripped them (*chuckles*) of all the paint, started painting again, ruined the job once more, stripped them again, painted once more, liked the face, ruined the leather, stripped them again and so on - I guess a plastic kit would be molten by now.

After a longer time without having the ability to paint, I returned to the painting table just to figure out I had forgotten almost everybit of knowledge I aquired regarding painting. So I went back here, but unfortunately Corporeas Tutorial was not "illustrated" anymore, thanks to photobucket.

So I decided to join the forum to inspire myself how to paint and to make some steps forward in painting miniatures.

Let's go.

The original figure I got looked like this:

Due to some ... breast issues in the wargaming forum I was present at that time ("Well, we like to play armies who in reality commited mass murder, but - oh my good - did you attach boobs to this figure?! How dare you?!" and so on) I decided to fuel the fire - and I really like the outcome. It reminds me a bit of anime figures. Haha.

She looked like this:

But as I wrote, I then totally screwed up the paintjob like a complete idiot and now I am back to square one.

Well then ... here we go again.

I had to correct some scratches in the Greenstuff, so that should be dry by tomorrow, then I'll base coat her and will start painting. Slowly and steady. One step after the other - and we will see where this ends.

See you next time!

• By Rob Dean
      Last week was a hectic one at work, but I am now finished with an event that took a year to plan.  I ended up relaxing with my paintbrush for a little while this weekend.  I have had these two guys stalled in my paint queue for a good long while. According to my painting records, the last time I finished a 54 for this project was 2012.  

The monk on the left is a metal figure from Irregular Miniatures, and is one of a handful of medieval civilians they have.  The archer is a plastic toy, a reissue from the molds for the Marx 54mm Robin Hood set, probably sculpted in the early 1960s. 

They are intended to add a little variety to my 54mm medieval skirmish games, mostly populated by Accurate plastic figures.  Here's a shot from a game at Historicon in 2014, to give the idea:

I have been considering bringing this to Gencon next year, travel method and hotel permitting, since the 54s show up nicely at a con. After these two, it's back to 25s again for a while, since I have a higher priority project I want to finish up...

• By Knochensack
      Well then,

Let's go on. As written in my WIP thread ->Check Here<-, the first few Gallian infantry units for my Valkyria Chronicles scenario ->Check Here<- are done.

That means: First few units are ready to be shown.

As I wrote, those are units I made over a time frame of almost 4 years now, so I guess a constant quality improvement is clearly visible. Still - even if they are not perfect to the last, every of these figures is quite dear to me.

As you can see, on the first two I tried to apply eyes, but it looks weird, so I am currently thinking of repainting their faces.

Some details:

And just to give an idea of the scale - here's Reaper's Troll Slayer Sophie for comparison:

Next units are already on their way.
    • By Knochensack
      When I was getting the equipment to photograph my Valkyria Chronicles Figures, I stumbled upon those figures which have been standing on my miniatures shelf for quite some time.

I painted them almost a year ago, when I by chance got a hold on some Infinity miniatures. I didn't know much about those absolutely detailed figures. I had mostly done heroic style miniatures and 20mm stuff, so this was quite a new thing for me. I didn't own an airbrush by that time and I never had used paint diluted enough to not cover up any details. But I wanted to paint them, as they really looked awesome. So I tried my best, spend hours and hours of watching tutorials on how to paint such miniatures, which mostly included airbrush priming and stuff. But as I couldn't get hold one one, I had to try in my own way.

And it seemed that the goddess of luck smiled at me. I had never before felt such a rush of happiness when I painted miniatures and the way of diluting paint back then is the one I still use. I was especially proud of the faces and the skin, which to this day I never managed to get so smoothly done again.

The bases themselves were made using putty, a sponge and a knife.

And then there is a story about the guy in the center. I originally had intend to copy Roy Revant from the Solty Rei anime series, who looks like this ...

Well, I thought I had done a pretty good job, I told my mum about it and the next time I was home again I showed the figures to her. She started to laugh uncontrollably and then cried a bit. I didn't get it in the first place. But then, she showed an old picture from one of her albums, a picture taken somewhen during the early seventies at a German Army mobile anti-aircraft radar station. It was that moment I actually realized that I hadn't recreated the face of Roy Revant, but that of my late father when he was young. With the same look and smile. After that we laughed for some time before I decided I would never repaint that miniature until the end of my life.

I later bought the same figures to recreate them with the knowledge I've got nowadays, but still - I guess those will forever have their special place on my miniatures shelf.
    • By Knochensack

This will be the Gallian forces build-up thread for the Valkyria Chronicles scenario I am creating here: Let’s Make … Gallia to Arms! A 20mm Valkyria Chronicles Scenario

I haven't started that totally ill-prepared - as I normally do - so here we start with the Gallian Forces.

Unlike the Imperial Forces, the Gallian forces have never been designed to fulfill a greater combat role other than defend their homeland. As the Principality of Gallia is a rather small country, its vehicles and units rely on weaker armor for the sake of speed and agility.
      Still they can bring a suprisingly heavy amount of firepower to bear, which allows them to strike fast and retreat as soon as possible. Like vikings. Just a bit nicer.

For the scenario setting, the Gallian Forces will consist of

1x Light Tank
      6x Scouts
      6x Shocktroopers
      3x Lancers (Anti-Tank)
      1x Mortarer (Anti-Personnel)
      2x Engineers (Repair and Refill)
      2x Snipers

Well then - let's go

The Gallian light tank:

Gallian light tanks are rather old combat vehicles. Having been in service for almost 20 years, its armor can easily be penetrated by most of the available anti-tank weaponry in the game.
      Still - with its 75mm gun, a co-axial machine gun and a mortar, this tank is a vital support unit for its accompanying infantry. It also can combat light and medium Imperial tanks, but is severely outclassed by heavier imperial models.

Starting with nothing much than the game design book and a few unbuilt tank kits, this work can be considered my first real "scratch" build, though not everything is completely scratch.

Messy, but not dirty!

Having checked the main parts I needed, I cannibalized the tank kits I had arround, using parts of a Panzer 38(t) and a Panzer III as main elements for the chassis and wheels.

The front body was created using styrene plastic. To stabilize the whole construction, some poxy putty was used and put on the inner side of the vehicle.

There are still some gaps to fill and mishaps to be corrected. But we are making progress!

Time to contine with the turret. As one can see, the turret equals that of a Panzer III from WWII, but its main gun is rather positioned to the right side as it was on the Hetzer and the Panzer II. Well then - let's cut it into place.

Let it dry for a moment and then continue next time

• Who's Online   18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)