Sign in to follow this  
Silvervane

03760: Adventuring Kids #1 (Wizard)

Nice!

Seeing your color picks, makes me want to paint this guy in green (ie a young Presto).

Nice work!

• Like 1

The kid and the color selection are wonderful! The precision on the eyes in fantastic! You can really see the blue and the reflection on the eyes. 

You asked for C&C, and I have some, but it truly is minor. The eyeliner could be either a lighter color, or thinner. I absolutely believe in darklining the eyes, and you did it splendidly. As a kid though, it might do better slightly more subtle. Like a medium dark brown instead of black. And the top of the hat could be highlighted a wee bit more, as it is the top of the figure, and it seems you overall have ambient sunlight as the goal for the lighting on it. 

Seriously though, well done. That kid is going to grow up to be a heck of a wizard! 

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive feedback! 

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

He's adorable! I like that the book has writing. 

Yeah I wanted to be a bit more intricate.  But actual handwriting is only slightly better than that in the book.

21 minutes ago, haldir said:

Nice!

Seeing your color picks, makes me want to paint this guy in green (ie a young Presto).

Nice work!

Go for it!.  I'd like to see that.  Green was the second choice for me.

22 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

The kid and the color selection are wonderful! The precision on the eyes in fantastic! You can really see the blue and the reflection on the eyes. 

You asked for C&C, and I have some, but it truly is minor. The eyeliner could be either a lighter color, or thinner. I absolutely believe in darklining the eyes, and you did it splendidly. As a kid though, it might do better slightly more subtle. Like a medium dark brown instead of black. And the top of the hat could be highlighted a wee bit more, as it is the top of the figure, and it seems you overall have ambient sunlight as the goal for the lighting on it. 

Seriously though, well done. That kid is going to grow up to be a heck of a wizard! 

Thanks for the feed back.  I do really struggle with highlighting red, and your suggestion is a good one.  Ahh the eyes... I started off wanting a cartoon like feel.  But I see what you mean with the dark outlining, especially with little to none on the rest of the figure.

• Like 1

What colors did you use for the globe on the staff? Got a goblin that has a crystal ball & I'd like to try that.

• Like 1

It looks amazing! I like the sharp transition between the green, gold and red.

The base is also stunning. The path way idea is effective and inspiring.

Edited by Metalchaos
  • Like 1

Metalchaos beat me to it and said pretty much everything I was going to say. I'll say it anyway! The colors are so vibrant, really great! The face is so expressive which is impressive in itself considering the size. I like the chibi-esque look you gave him. And the base is wonderful! I am totally going to steal the base idea for something!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 8:10 PM, haldir said:

What colors did you use for the globe on the staff? Got a goblin that has a crystal ball & I'd like to try that.

Blue liner mixed with ghost white to create the grey.  Then I gradually added ghost white up to white as the highest.

• Like 2

The Little Sorcerer is a WONDERFUL creation. The brushwork & basing are BEAUTIFULAND your array of colors are GLORIOUS...I love the scarlet robes & hat. VERY WELL DONE indeed!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      My D&D group's cleric picked the torch and scythe wielding townsfolk from this pack: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/townsfolk/latest/03123

My D&D group's cleric is an herbalist cleric. He provides the.... healing... herbs. Medicinal use herbs. He's an exceedingly chipper and happy character, much to the annoyance of the emo necrobard. 

But he uses a scythe, and decided to go with this figure. I don't like this figure. It has an ANGRY face. Super grumpy. All of the grump. Terrible choice for that character. 

Player told me that I didn't have to go high on the detail with it, so I didn't do as much as my usual. I still practiced OSL and I tried to turn the frown upside-down. I think the result is that he now looks like a very happy mass murderer, instead of just generically pissed. 

Anyway, rip it to shreds, lemme know what I can do better in the future. I didn't do the most exciting blending or layering or glazing by any stretch deliberately, though. 

I also was using a different location for my camera and I didn't feel like getting a perfect setup, so stuff is crooked and I'm not going to go back and take more photos. *HARUMPH*. 

• By Sophie was taken
      Trying my hand at speed painting. This was not done in one sitting, but total time was about 2.5 hours, which is less than half the time it normally takes me to paint a thing. Not perfect, but pretty darn good (for me, anyway) for the time spent. Here is the Wench:

Didn’t plan anything out beforehand; color selection was spur of the moment. Her dress is Royal Purple with Nightmare Black shadow, and some BCA Pink mixed in for highlights. Top and apron are Lantern Yellow up through Candlelight Yellow. Tanned Skin triad was used for her flesh, and various leather colors for her hair and accessorizing accessories.

Highlights didn’t really work out around her backside, but there was no time to fret over it. And you can’t really tell from the awful photo, but I finally managed to paint a decent eye.

And forgot eyebrows. Whoops.

C&C welcome.
    • By Cyradis
      My D&D group's cleric is a follower of Chauntea, a plant goddess. He wields a scythe. He's also incredibly short for a human. He's absurdly chipper. He's the city's marijuana grower and distributor. 

For some reason, the player picked this figure, one of the townsfolk, to represent his character. I don't like this figure. Player stated that I could do low detail on him. I'm not sure there is a sufficient paint job to give him a cheerful face. 

C&C as I go is welcome. He isn't going to be one I super nitpick but I'd like him to be generally tidy. Might attempt OSL for practice. 

Oh bother. I thought I was in the WIP forums. Serves me right for doing this on the phone. Mod help pretty please? 

• By Silvervane
      Ok I decided to give this a go, with no expectations of actually succeeding.  Also, rather than spam @SparrowMarie thread I thought I start my own.  Day 1 and Day 2 were me painting up 2 of 5 Bones Ghast in an attempt at using the shaded basecoat method.  Each took about 2-3 hours and I didn't clean up one much.  I then decided that they need a better base so I threw the 5 on a base and added some sand and stone to the existing base.  I then decided that I wont include painting the base in my modification to the challenge.

Day 1 and Day 2:

Day 3:
      Today I didn't get much time.  And tommorrow I will not get any time.  So I started some of the Massive Darkness chest's.   I also finished sealing up 8 more chests that I finished up last month and 4 of the last 8 Zcide NPC's I need to finish.  Here is all I got done.

Thanks for following along in this attempt to force me to paint fast and free.
    • By Sanael
      Well, I'm not actually painting anything at work today...because I'm not going to work today. Suffice to say, we tried a new Chinese restaurant the other day, and it has not gone well.

BUT! I posted a teaser in my last Lunch Sessions thread, and now I can go ahead and start this one. Prep work is done, so when I do get back into the office I can actually start laying paint. Here's what's going on this time around:

Privateer Press has just started their Minicrate program, a subscription-based monthly "crate" of, well, miniatures. They are all special edition minis available only through the crate subscription. When I saw the first mini they planned to release, I almost got a subscription before realizing I probably wouldn't care overmuch about most of the minis involved past the first...we'll see if I regret that decision later, but the good news is: @chaosscorpion did subscribe, and was willing to work out a trade for the Swamp Siren in exchange for a warlock for his fledgling Trollbloods army.

(if you care to see the mini in question, @Ghool just posted a really lovely painted version)

Chaosscorpion was good enough to send the Swamp Siren over already, so I have her waiting for the day I paint her up...I have plans to do a resin-water base for her eventually.

And I have procured and prepped Borka Kegslayer:

I do have one specific instruction for this fella: Tartan! Chaosscorpion also provided a specific family tartan for me to replicate:

Now, I've done a good bit of freehand, and a fair number of stripes, but never any actual plaid. So I decided I'd get some practice in first, which is where this preview pic comes in:

This is the backside of one of the new Wizkids Pathfinder unpainted line, from the "Merchants" set. By way of a quick review, these are cheap and nicely detailed. They are pre-prepped and pre-primed, and I was impressed with both the lack of mold lines (still a few, but nothing egregious. For NPCs or townsfolk I'm not too worried) and the complete coverage of the primer. I was surprised to find the primer was every bit as hydrophobic as bare Bonesium, but eventually I got a basecoat down.

I'm planning to paint her dress in plaid, using the Aitken tartan:

I chose this tartan because it has roughly the same pattern as Chaosscorpion's, although in different colors. It's likely I'm overthinking the process, but I want to be as accurate as I can when I get to the plaid on Borka.

So that's where I am at this point. I likely won't do any further painting until Wednesday (there's an office Halloween thing tomorrow), but I've got a bit of a start!
  • Who's Online   27 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)