Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other, September Edition

507 posts in this topic

Question the 1st of September: They say no good deed goes unpunished.  What good deed have you performed that You were punished for or had unforeseen consequences?

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 1st of September: They say no good deed goes unpunished.  What good deed have you performed that You were punished for or had unforeseen consequences?

The only things I can think of is when I've helped out guests with sob stories and they turned out to scam artists. The consequences

of that sort of thing is that I've become cynical and am unwilling to help out any other guests with sob stories.

6 people like this

Hmmm, nothing comes to mind right now. I guess I don't hold onto such things.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

One of my neighbors and I had a...feud when we moved into the neighborhood. First big storm of the year lands midafternoon while I am home unemployed and a couple of folks and I decide to shovel everyone's porches. I get to this one neighbor's porch and I hesitate. I know they'll yell at me if I shovel their porch. I know they'll yell at me if I shovel everyone's porch but theirs. I decide to do it anyway, since if I'm gonna be yelled at, it might as well be for something nice I did for someone.

Guess who got yelled at.

9 people like this

Sept 1st: I recently gave aid and succor to someone I thought was a friend. Then in my hour of need that person not only turned their back on me, but actively aided my opponents. The consequence is that this person is dead to me now.

3 people like this

Not sure "punished" is the right word for it, but simply helping to pick up the slack at work, help cover other's stuff when they were behind, etc., and then it becoming expected of me.

7 people like this

I don't remember any specific incidence, though I agree with the general sentiment.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

That's a little too cynical a credo for me. "They" say a lot of stupid, not-necessarily-true things.

Good deeds are what are demanded of me as part of becoming the person I hope to be. They should be performed as if they were done anonymously.

If negatives arise from the deed, it is the good intent that matters, not the consequences.

SO...no; I haven't had that experience...that I know of.

Edited by malefactus
7 people like this

To answer the question as I believe it is meant: I have a bad habit of volunteering to help out to move things along.  Unfortunately, this often results in people expecting me to take full ownership of something now and forever.  So I'm trying to be good about not volunteering or setting expectations in advance.

To answer the question as written: (Because I want to provide a happier answer) "What good deed have you performed that ... had unforeseen consequences?"

Once upon a time, I met a young lady at the local anime club.  I was part of a group of people who would walk her back to her dorm after meetings.

One evening, on the way back to her dorm, I saw her looking up at the stars and I volunteered to take her to a local park after dark so she could see them better.  It wasn't meant as a date, just something nice for her.  She accepted and I came by at the agreed upon time and it was pouring rain.  So we ended up taking the bus to a mall, ate at the food court, spent the evening talking, and agreed upon a new day to try to watch the stars again.

A few months later, we realized we had fallen for each other.  Almost thirteen years later, we were married.

And we're still happily married.

14 people like this

9/1: I can't think of anything specific, but this most often seems to happen to me when I mishear someone and try to follow through with what I heard.

3 people like this

Long story short: I tried to do the right thing by contacting the professor B when professor A had my lab partner in tears (I didn't know what to do and lab partner was kinda making a scene). A different classmate who I didn't interact with decided to slander me. Professors decided that I was completely irrational and tried to kick me out of the class. I later found out that lab partner was a heinous she dog and wasn't worth sticking up for in the first place. 

I did complete that class. It was not pleasant. 

The good part? I met my boyfriend because of it too. In doing my assignments on weekends to avoid the professors, I found him sleeping in the physics lab! We flirted using my bag of dice and doing homework together. 

9 people like this

I've covered for people before by taking a watch for them, and then ended up having bad things happen and had to go to a critique based upon thing that he set in motion.  

5 people like this

Can't recall anything.

If I do a good deed, it is a good deed no matter what happens afterwards.

7 people like this

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I was friends with a woman a while back, nothing romantic, just purely platonic and that's the way I wanted it. We were good friends, we hung out and planned things to do, and I was her shoulder to cry on and I gave her advice on life. Then one day she did a complete 180 and stabbed me in the back, and now I want absolutely nothing to do with her.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Nothing really comes to mind. I did do a lot of overtime in school and then it seemed to be expected of me to get stuff done that wasn't my responsibility. That's probably the closest it gets that I can recall.

4 people like this