Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other, September Edition

507 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 1st of September: They say no good deed goes unpunished.  What good deed have you performed that You were punished for or had unforeseen consequences?

Not exactly unforeseen, but the quickest way to get a "friend" out of your life is to loan them money. It's happened to me on multiple occasions. 

6 people like this

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 1st of September: They say no good deed goes unpunished.  What good deed have you performed that You were punished for or had unforeseen consequences?

It wasn't unforseen. And it was more the Lawful thing to do rather than the Good thing. But...

We pressed charges. My partner and I were encouraged by the police to report it as a hate crime but we felt the hate crime charge might make getting a conviction harder. Besides, his own mother was going to have to testify against him.

He pled guilty literally the night before the trial. Punishment was trivial but as a result of his actions he'd also lost his own family, he was written out of his mother's will, his wife was frosty at him last I heard, and he'd paid for 18 months worth of lawyer. He'd retired early with the assumption that he was going to be the sole inheritor of his mother's 8-figure fortune and now he doesn't have that anymore.

We lost a lot of friends that day. But he lost a lot more than that :devil:

10 people like this

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Wasn't my choice but I'm paying for it. My dad helped lots of relatives here. Because I helped him it meant I helped them as well. He poured tons of money and labour into my uncles farm but had to pay for every little thing my cousins did in return. Eventually my dad and uncle inherited their aunt's farm. The uncle lost his marbles shortly after this and the kids sued my dad over how they (dad and uncle) had divided the aunt's farm. Spent 10 years dealing with lawyers, ruined my dad's health and I'm seriously in debt to pay for it all. No consideration for 50 years of helping their family and tens of thousands of dollars wasted over stupid things like who should have gotten an aluminum ladder and some ornaments. My dad had to talk his aunt into giving my uncle half her farm. She originally wanted my dad to have it all. If he hadn't been such a good person he wouldn't have had to go through all the crap they caused.

5 people like this

10 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm sure that there's something I tried to be helpful with that didn't turn out as expected, but nothing exciting enough to stick in my memory.

3 people like this

13 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I had kids...

Does that count? ::P:

8 people like this

I can think of four or five times I've taken people into my home when they needed help, and then later regretted it. Never been ROBBED or anything, but I've felt rather taken advantage of more than once.

Then again, I can think of six times I've taken people in where they were the absolute salt of the earth, so it's not a constant.

7 people like this

On 9/1/2017 at 5:45 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Let's just say that yes it has happened and leave it at that.

(It was recent, I'm still sore about it, and would rather not think about it)

1 person likes this

Question the 2nd to 4th of September: What is the largest group of people that you have cooked for?  What is the largest gathering you have hosted, arranged or planned for?  Feel free to tell any amusing stories relating to the event.

2 people like this

18 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 2nd to 4th of September: What is the largest group of people that you have cooked for?  What is the largest gathering you have hosted, arranged or planned for?  Feel free to tell any amusing stories relating to the event.

I mixed drinks for my best friend's 21st birthday party. Maybe 20 people there. 

Solid foods? Hmm. I bake cookies for my classes during finals, so 30ish? 

4 people like this

22 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I went to culinary school and one of my classes was catering. So easily in the hundreds. Especially since our school would regularly host charity events and the like.

5 people like this

1 minute ago, SparrowMarie said:

I went to culinary school and one of my classes was catering. So easily in the hundreds. Especially since our school would regularly host charity events and the like.

.... sooo.... post kickstarter party at your place? :poke:

6 people like this

During finals my senior year of high school we had open finals which meant when not testing we could wander freely about town. So my friends and I decided that we'd have a grillout in the school parking lot. We thought it would be only us...then pretty much the whole school showed up at various points in the day. Luckily most brought their own meat, but I somehow wound up being the High Priest of the Grill God for most of the day, possibly due to the fact that I was bellowing out benedictions to said Grill God while cooking and folks wanted a bit of performance art with their meal. I fed maybe 200 all told.

As to liquid nourishment I worked as security for a local festival in DeKalb two years running. By local I mean a local band and their friends put it together on someone's farm several miles out of town. I was assigned the duty of guarding the kegs so no one wandered off with them or the tappers. (free beer was included in the ticket price) However since most of the folks attending could not properly operate the tap and were foaming the hell out of the beer, I wound up serving it. For two days straight, stopping only when the kegs ran out. As a consequence most people of a certain age throughout Northern Illinois know me on sight as "Keg Dude". The fact I was channeling Hunter S Thompson and providing commentary on all within my sight was apparently entertaining enough that I was keg guard the second year as well. I enabled a couple thousand I'm sure on those occasions.

5 people like this

43 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Q1:Um...maybe 7-8, I think?

Q2: see above...I'm not much of a hosting parties person. Too much cleaning (before AND after) for my taste.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I managed a pizza restaurant. ^_^

6 people like this

I was asked to manage a barbecue grill once at a small party. There were going to be between ten and thirty people there, and I was the only person the host knew who had any experience at grilling chicken quarters without charring the meat or setting himself on fire. I was offered a flat amount of cash and all the beer I could drink, and it seemed like a good deal.

Chicken quarters are EASY. I sat and sipped beer and dumped water on my head periodically to keep my hat wet and therefore not bake in the heat. I was having a swell time, even when the party grew to something like fifty people, and someone was dispatched to get more chicken quarters. 

By midafternoon, we were up to 75 people, many of whom were sitting on the grass in the absence of tables or chairs, and someone brought me thirty pounds of ground beef and a flat of hamburger buns because the meat market was out of chicken. Fortunately, I had experience in how to rapidly turn ground beef into quarter pound patties, but I was beginning to feel a tad exploited, and therefore upped my beer consumption.

By three thirty or so, we were out of beer, and in addition to the remaining chicken and hamburger patties, I had a vat of chili going, because some nitwit had thought it would be a neat idea to have the cook do even MORE work. I suggested that perhaps I had reached the limits of my obligation, cash or no cash. The host apologized, begged, pleaded, debased himself, and offered me a bottle of rum. So I stayed. Later, ribs were brought. And I wound up having to grill eggplant, tomatoes, and onions for the vegetarians in what had grown to be a crowd of more than a hundred.

Around nine that evening, I staggered home with a wad of cash and a dreadful headache and a rather painful sunburn. It occurred to me the following day that during that barbecue, I had consumed no calories since breakfast that weren't in liquid form.

I still like to barbecue, even for groups, but now if you want me to do it for YOU? There's a contract. I felt like Boy Ben Franklin, who paid too damn much for that penny whistle.

9 people like this