Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other, September Edition

473 posts in this topic

Just now, Crowley said:

I'll let you know after I paint some resin!

^^ this. No opinion yet. This thread is good for picking a first one though! 

6 people like this

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 12th of September: When it comes to painting resin: which manufacturers do you like, which do you dislike, and why?  Remember we are not here to bash other companies, but not all resin is created equal.  (thanks to knarthex for the question!)

companies who's resin I like: forgeworld, anvil industries, scribor, arena rex, raging heroes (1st kickstarter), mantic (plague generation1s), on the lamb

companies who's resin I have had problems with: mantic (enforcer monowheel bike, resin was excessively brittle, master was not properly cleaned before mold making), raging heroes (Kickstarter 2, extremely hydrophobic, brittle, far too thin for the material), defiance games (hydrophobic), Prodos (was not properly set, multiple mold half misalignment issues)

Interestingly enough there are several companies who are on both lists. This is why I really want to know what mix is being used on an individual model by model basis.

7 people like this

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 12th of September: When it comes to painting resin: which manufacturers do you like, which do you dislike, and why?  Remember we are not here to bash other companies, but not all resin is created equal.  (thanks to knarthex for the question!)

No idea.  I have only dealt with plastics and metal.

5 people like this

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I currently have two resin miniatures from Scibor, but I have never painted them. They are secret. They are safe.

8 people like this

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I've had the least frustrating time with Oathsworn's resin.

8 people like this

7 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

The best resin minis I brought were from Infamy and Ardiana Miniatures (I think that's how their name is spelt), almost flawless casts that assembled really well, but I only brought one or two minis from each company, so I may have just got lucky.

Kingdom Death used to be at this level too, but I found as the range became more popular the quality went down. Although I haven't brought any of their resin stuff in ages, so it may be top tier again.

Forge World is absolutely garbage tier resin.

When Games Workshop re-jigged their fantasy game I panic-brought a load of minis I thought would go OOP, including several Empire characters from Forge World. They didn't look too bad at first, just a lot of flash to trim, but then when I went to work on them a couple months later they were just shocking. It probably would've been easier and quicker to learn to sculpt my own minis then to try to sort them out.

I might have just been very unlucky, but I didn't want to risk buying more.

6 people like this

8 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm not a huge fan of resin but have a few models from different places.

Fireforge. Not liking. Lots of flash and paint doesn't stick well.

Mantic. Brittle but paints ok.

Forgeworld. Old minis now but decent quality. They've changed their formula many times over the years and it varies.

Smooth on. I make copies of bits and a few of my own things out of resin. What I use is tougher and easy to paint but I can't do real small pieces and have some bubbles at times.

6 people like this

Actually, now that I think about it...

I didn't have any casting or painting issues with the ship models I got from Ravenstar Studios beyond what you'd expect common to all resin figures.

The Rebel Minis 15mm tank I have has good detail but had some casting issues around the main vent and some rather noticeable stratification from the 3D printed master, still a cool tank though once the strata were sanded down.  Didn't have any issues painting it.   I've probably got a picture of it in Show Off somewhere, if not it'll be buried in my blog archive somewhere.

Resin buildings from JR Miniatures (I don't even know if they're still active anymore) in 6mm had a lot of issues.  Pits all over and little nodules of resin in any noticable recess.  Painting them was ok-ish, but I was already fairly irritated by that point by the amount of prep that needed to be done.

I've not had an experience with a dropped resin item yet, so cannot comment on brittleness issues.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
7 people like this

The only resin I've done are Armorcast terrain pieces, and I don't recall any problems with them.

4 people like this

10 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Uhm, I think the only resin figures I have are from ReaperCon.

Still sealed, unpainted.

So... move along folks. Move along!

5 people like this

On 9/9/2017 at 9:52 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Sorry for missing the question for most of the weekend.  I was running about all day and just now sat down to the computer.

Question the 9th and 10th of September: Do you enjoy making characters just for entertainments sake, or do you only make them if you need them for a game.  Is there anything special you do in your process for making them?  Also, do you prefer point buy or rolling for stats?

?pt1---Yes, at least I used to; I haven't done that in quite some time.

?pt2---no.

?pt3---Rolling, definitely.

On 9/11/2017 at 7:07 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 11th of September:  Did you manage to get any hobby-ing or gaming done this past weekend?  If so, tell us about it!

I managed to get a little bit of painting in during the evenings. Nothing spectacular though.

12 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

The only resin figure I have ever painted is still WIP at the moment, and it's by Reaper. I'm enjoying it so far.

Other than that, my experience is limited to resin bases by various makers, and I've had  no issues with any of them (other than one of the smaller manufacturers going out of business before I could get enough of their bases).

Edited by Chaoswolf
5 people like this

On 9/9/2017 at 9:52 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Sorry for missing the question for most of the weekend.  I was running about all day and just now sat down to the computer.

Question the 9th and 10th of September: Do you enjoy making characters just for entertainments sake, or do you only make them if you need them for a game.  Is there anything special you do in your process for making them?  Also, do you prefer point buy or rolling for stats?

I have built characters for fun, or for thought exercise. It's one way that I learn the variables involved in a system's options.

As for style preference, I overwhelmingly prefer point-buy systems.

(except for classic Traveler, where character generation is also it's own mini-game. :upside: )

7 people like this

On 9/9/2017 at 8:52 PM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Yikes! Missed an important question!

Heck yeah I enjoy making characters for entertainments sake.  I've probably got several hundred that have never seen a game or have been written about in all kinds of system.  Anything special per character?  No, not so much per character.  Per system I always buy a new Master's Touch 9x6 Spiral sketchbook (or 5).  Once I have worked out how the system works, then I work on creating a party and fleshing them out so they work together and where they came from, plausible backgrounds with tie ins to the game system world(s).  Once I have the highlights, I'll try to find artwork and then write up several pages of backstory for each of them.  Once I have it polished enough that I'm not tweaking minor details I'll usually print it out and put the background and character sheet together.

Is there anything special I do?  Not per character, no... I mean, I don't usually try to find a mini unless they are going to make it into a game or I am very serious about writing about the character group.  I don't go out and buy trinkets or jewelry or special dice for each of them.  

Now, does that mean I haven't done that in the past? For characters that I play in face to face games, they have their own dice dedicated to that game, a sketchbook for all their in-game notes and rough sketches of locations, sometimes a miniature, sometimes something that calls the spirit of the character to mind and makes the other players laugh or have a reaction.  I have also had dice rituals for a long-standing WoD Mage who I kept his metal dice in a special bag with a mala necklace made of bone... when I pulled out his character information, the bone mala was put on a leather square beside where his dice would be rolled and the metal dice were put into the coils of the mala.  The other players never caught on that I was intentionaly pointing the red cord from the mala ends in different directions or they probably would have voiced opinions on which way it should have pointed.  RPG people can have weird superstitions and traditions.

Point buying or rolling really depends on the game.  Some the point buying works really well.  Some rolling can be good.  If you are stuck with rolling only once and being stuck with whatever comes up, I'm probably going to choose point buying.  If I get a couple of chances to roll but have to take the whole block as one set of rolls, then I'll roll it up.  I don't mind a bad stat or so, but I don't want to have everyone watching me roll up a character that gets a 6 a 9 and a 5.  Can I roleplay it?  Sure. Will it be memorable? I'm pretty sure it would be... and would have a unique voice, most likely annoying as well.  Will it be a fun party member that everyone enjoys playing with and is actually able to help the group in any way? Nope.

Oh, and yeah... lots of them get special voices if they make it to a table.  Not all of them, but most do.

5 people like this

I don't own any GW resin, but I was horrified when an acquaintance picked up a $30 commissar who looked like he'd been shot to death by a firing squad... and hadn't noticed. There's no excuse for that kind of bubble pocking on a resin miniature, unless I made the thing, because I don't know what I'm doing. An established company selling these things? Unacceptable.

This WAS a couple years ago, though, so perhaps they've gotten better.

7 people like this

12 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I don't own any GW resin, but I was horrified when an acquaintance picked up a $30 commissar who looked like he'd been shot to death by a firing squad... and hadn't noticed. There's no excuse for that kind of bubble pocking on a resin miniature, unless I made the thing, because I don't know what I'm doing. An established company selling these things? Unacceptable.

This WAS a couple years ago, though, so perhaps they've gotten better.

This is one of the reasons there are so many recasters. There's even an unfunny joke:

How can you tell if it's real GW or a recaster?

If it looks good without mold lines or bubbles it's obviously a recast.

7 people like this