Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other, September Edition

878 posts in this topic

Just now, Paradoxical Mouse said:

0.0 You speak nonsense. Salt brings out the tomato flavor (then again, what varieties of tomatoes are Greek? maybe I just haven't tried the right ones)

Sorry, I don't know the varieties. My dad was buying them in Greece when he was on TDY from Germany and bringing them home to eat.

I suspect you would probably hate them with sugar, since you don't like that combination. But I found the slight sourness of the tomato to go well with the sugar. Of course I find most things to go well with sugar, so that's not much of a surprise. :poke:

3 people like this

Just now, Doug Sundseth said:

Sorry, I don't know the varieties. My dad was buying them in Greece when he was on TDY from Germany and bringing them home to eat.

I suspect you would probably hate them with sugar, since you don't like that combination. But I found the slight sourness of the tomato to go well with the sugar. Of course I find most things to go well with sugar, so that's not much of a surprise. :poke:

Sounds like you use sugar like I use salt. Salt brings out the flavor of everything! I don't tend to use much sugar, but I'm always willing to try something new.

5 people like this

4 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 21st of September:  Is there a food/meal that you used to have to eat as a child that now, as an adult, you refuse to eat ever again?

Liver and brussel sprouts...  2 things that I really don't care for and have not eaten since I had the choice not to.  I have had brussel sprouts shredded in dishes and didn't notice them, but otherwise those 2 things I avoid completely.  

6 people like this

Just now, Rahz said:

Liver and brussel sprouts...  2 things that I really don't care for and have not eaten since I had the choice not to.  I have had brussel sprouts shredded in dishes and didn't notice them, but otherwise those 2 things I avoid completely.  

A lot of people hate brussel sprouts as kids, because most people don't know how to cook them. Have you ever had properly roasted brussel sprouts? I wouldn't steam them (without butter), but roasted with a touch of maple syrup or oil usually turns out pretty good. Liver is something you either love or hate, so I don't have anything to say about that. 

7 people like this

2 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

A lot of people hate brussel sprouts as kids, because most people don't know how to cook them. Have you ever had properly roasted brussel sprouts? I wouldn't steam them (without butter), but roasted with a touch of maple syrup or oil usually turns out pretty good. Liver is something you either love or hate, so I don't have anything to say about that. 

I have never roasted them as I choose not to cook them.  i might throw some in with some other mixed veggies when i do roast them next.  

5 people like this

Just now, Rahz said:

I have never roasted them as I choose not to cook them.  i might throw some in with some other mixed veggies when i do roast them next.  

Good luck! They are my personal favorite, but I know they aren't the greatest when not good properly. Look up some roasted recipes that include them. A lot of bars/pubs nowadays also serve them roasted, if you don't want to take the time to try yourself. ::D:

5 people like this

Well cooked brussell sprouts are alright, but oooooh boy. Don't want to be near me afterward. There are smells. Bad ones. 

7 people like this

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 21st of September:  Is there a food/meal that you used to have to eat as a child that now, as an adult, you refuse to eat ever again?

chicken soup. My mother was a firm believer in soup-as-recycling.

5 people like this

3 hours ago, Loim said:

Head cheese is the meat off the head of a hog or calf. It's boiled then pickled if I remember correctly. 

:throws up a little in her mouth:

6 people like this

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Fish / seafood *** Shudder***

2 people like this

7 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Chicken I-Don't-Know.

That requires some explanation.

Chicken I-Don't-Know was a dish my mother threw together when we'd run out of money for food and the only thing in the house was leftover chicken meat from last week and whatever else she could find/scavenge/acquire. It was... interesting. It was usually based off of some sort of canned or stewed tomatoes and rice, all overcooked so it's a solid mass. It had to be overcooked because the leftover chicken wasn't always fresh, it had to be made safe again.

On a related note I have a developed immunity to so many food borne illnesses :blink:

I honestly believe I learned how to make Spanish rice correctly just to spite that dish.

5 people like this

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 3:05 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 20th of September:  Are you afraid/phobic of any sort of creatures?  Spiders, snakes, clowns, and so forth?

I'm cautious around dangerous animals (like bears) and a little bit of fear is in there but it seems reasonable to the situation.  Spiders have been know to scare me if they startle me, but I've seen real phobic behavior and I don't have it.  

Meh, I'm not fond of pickled herring, but I wouldn't say that I refuse to eat it ever again...  I'd just rather not.  Same goes for caviar, actually.  

4 people like this

Brussels sprouts. Cannot stand the dratted things, and after biennially having to try the things for 18 years, I am DONE.

5 people like this

3 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I don't remember ever trying that, but I've heard of it, and it's something I would totally try.

Haggis was pretty decent, when I finally got to try some this summer. (I can imagine how it could go horribly wrong, but a decent version is good eats.) 

Honestly, given my current adult pallette, I'd probably love head cheese now, but having it forced on me as a kid...well, it is hard to get past the memories associated with the thing and try the thing itself.

6 people like this

Hamburger Helper.

3 people like this