Dilvish the Deliverer

Getting to Know Each Other, September Edition

878 posts in this topic

Last night, before our game was interrupted, my ice dragon doll made friends with a giant half fiend by giving him chocolate. His int was quite low (5) and he was bullied by his commanders. But here was a group giving him food he liked without even making him do anything to get it. 

The same group also traded chocolate to a civilization of friendly sahagians for some interesting magic items. (Okay, one of them just got a bunch of gold, but he was a leprechaun, so that's understandable.) 

Hubby says he's gonna start making people allergic to chocolate :rolleyes:

7 people like this

i was running a game for a party that started out as a standard adventure - a large redheaded man wearing a magical amulet had hired the party to protect his village from an evil wizard.

The party eventually discovers that the redheaded man is a were-bear who turns into a bear with reddish fur, and that the amulet lets him cast an Emotion spell once per round...

When they get to the village, they discover that everyone there is a were-bear and that they all have amulets that let them cast a single spell. The wizard was trying to steal their magic amulets to power a device used in some kind of a ritual that would drain magic from the surrounding area and feed it directly to the wizard.

And this is when the fun starts... ::D:

Those of you who remember the '80's may have figured out by now that the villagers were were-CareBears... :huh:

(Yeah. It's going there. ::D:)

The party had been hired to defeat an evil wizard who bore a marked resemblance to the Purple Pieman from Strawberry Shortcake. The wizard wants to steal the amulets power to run a machine that would suck all the joy out of the world.

The party sets off towards the evil magician's tower. Along the way, they pass gingerbread houses and head through an enchanted forest where the trees are made from chocolate bark or black licorice with spearmint gummy leaves, the blue stream beside the path has raspberry-flavored water, and caramel Squirrels roam through the trees...  The party encounters a friendly blue marshmallow ghost who joins them..

Finally, they approach the wizard's tower. Where they are attacked by Giant Chocolate-Covered Ants and Gummi Orcs.

And that's where everything suddenly went horribly, horribly wrong...

Stray arrows that hit the trees caused them to ooze rasperry-sauce blood. The friendly marshmallow ghost began to bleed blueberry syrup from it's eyes as its face melted into a mask of horror and it cut loose with a banshee wail.

Fireballing the Giant Chocolate-Covered Ants melted them into a waist-high puddle of scorched and boiling burnt chocolate.

Weapons hitting the Gummi Orcs became stuck and pulled loose with a horrid squelching sound. A yellow Gummi Orc picked up the severed arm of a red Gummi Orc and held it to it's own stump, melting and running together until the arm fused into place with an orange band where the wound was.

Somehow, the bags of candy that had littered the gaming table a few minutes earlier have all quietly disappeared.

After half an hour of slogging through the remains of numerous candy-inspired opponents, they enter the tower and discover that it gets even worse.

The wizard is a necromancer. There are the very vaguest of unspoken implications of the full extent of that term..

This entirely human monster is planning to use the power of the magic amulets to jumpstart a horrific machine designed to drain all the emotional energy from the campaign world's children, leaving them mind-controlled zombies under his command.

His ultimate goal is to use their life force in an ungodly-powerful necromantic ritual designed to turn him into an immortal uber-lich and forever damn the souls of the children into his eternal service.

By the time the players had finally defeated the wizard and his budding army of zombie-kids, they all had shell-shocked haggard looks on their faces and thousand-yard stares.

It was universally decreed to be some of my finest work, and I was informed that my life was forfeit if I ever put another candy-inspired monster in front of them or referenced '80's nostalgia again.   :bday:

Edited by Mad Jack
14 people like this

On 9/22/2017 at 6:31 AM, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 22nd of September: What is one of the best stories you have of what happened around the gaming table?  It can be in-game, out-of-game, awesome, funny or what not.  Let's entertain each other for the weekend.

My stories are kinda tame.  Oh well.

In roughly chronological order:

• 2nd ed AD&D: I am playing the cleric in a dungeon crawl.  I'm the only one with heal spells.  Another player is playing a centaur fighter who makes a habit of insulting my cleric at every opportunity.  So, rather than healing him up to full, he gets just enough healing to make it through.
  • Mage: the Ascension: In two completely different campaigns, my Correspondence mage tried to use magic to put on his clothes and botched.  (You'd think I'd've remembered after the first one.)
  • Mage: the Ascension (different campaign): I'm playing a Cultist of Ecstasy.  The lasting quote from that campaign: "The power of Magnum compels you."  Our party is fighting a demon comparable to a clannfear from Oblivion (think demonic velociraptor and you're reasonably close).  The demon has been distracted by another character and my character walks up beside it and shoots it point blank with a magic-infused bullet.  Too bad it took two bullets.
  • Exalted: I don't remember exactly how this one happened but my character had sent a book about sewing to the deathlord Mask of Winters.  (In the Exalted metaplot, Mask of Winters is one of the most evil, and crafty, entities in Creation.)  A few months later, she received a dress from the deathlord.
  • Pathfinder (I'm GMing this one): My players' party, a sort of special ops group for the kingdom, has infiltrated a hobgoblin stronghold.  There's an burning oil trap set up.  (Something drops a bunch of oil and then a hobgoblin will handily drop a torch through a trap door.)  I don't remember how but the summoner somehow manages to set the oil on fire and make it explode before the trap is set off.  So much for some of the upper floors.
  • Pathfinder (same campaign): The summoner decides to use Summon Monster to summon a lantern archon and use it as a courier.  This becomes a running gag and later gets the party assigned certain missions.
  • Pathfinder (same campaign): The kingdom is at war with the neighboring kingdom, whose ruler has been listening to some shady people.  Said shady people dropped a magic device into the sea near the kingdom's capital, causing a general decline in fishing.  The party goes out to investigate and the druid decides to use Speak With Animals to ask a fish.  Now, I had just read something that pointed out that while Speak With Animals allows you to converse with an animal, you will only learn about things the animal considers relevant, and the animal is not necessarily going to be particularly bright.  I had also just watched Finding Nemo.  So the druid casts Speak With Animals, greets the fish, and hears in response "I'M FINE!"
8 people like this

Question the 25th of September:  What games are you currently playing?  If an RPG, let us know about your character and/or group.  If a video game, tell us about what you play or how far into the storyline you are.  For board games......your favorite strategy?  Anyways, let us know.  If it's been a while and you are not "currently" playing then let us know what you want to play.

7 people like this

10 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Question the 25th of September:  What games are you currently playing?  If an RPG, let us know about your character and/or group.  If a video game, tell us about what you play or how far into the storyline you are.  For board games......your favorite strategy?  Anyways, let us know.  If it's been a while and you are not "currently" playing then let us know what you want to play.

Actually I have returned to Play Total War Medieval II.

As England I obliterated Scotland and France, took a few Imperial Castles and some Portugese towns.

All in one afternoon.

5 people like this

6 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I don't play RPG / table top games anymore.  Mostly due to lack of time and lack of a group. 

I also stopped playing video games. Almost entirely because I sunk way, way too much time into World of Warcraft. 

I will occasionally install a game on my phones, but they don't hold my interest very long. 

Edited by Clearman
4 people like this

The only video game I'm playing consistently right now is "Eternal Senia." It's sort of a Final Fantasy / JRPG setup, but super low stress and simple. Definitely not "hardcore gaming," but it is fun. And I really like the music. it's free to play on Steam.

I am also replaying parts of Tomb Raider: Anniversary as research for the next Eberron campaign I'm going to run. I also played through the Uncharted series (first three games, anyway), and rewatched the Indiana Jones trilogy, National Treasure and Bridge on the River Kwai for this campaign, with more on the list. Xen'drik should be fun!

Weekly game night the past two weeks has been Carcassonne, which I love. One of the group went to Gencon and brought back The Art of Chill, which we played a few weeks ago. It's basically a Ticket to Ride clone, but instead of building trains you're calmly painting landscapes with Bob Ross...it's a fun one.

6 people like this

33 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I play infrequently now. Only games I've played in the last year were at the board game cafe where they have one shot RPG nights on Wednesdays, and I can go there maybe twice a month. I need *more*!

So in the past year, I've played D&D 5e and Fantasy Flight's Star Wars.

Now if we,re talking board games, I usually show up at a board game club we have in town. There, we play lots of games, but usually the same ones come up as it's hard to satisfy everyone.

Haven't played a serious computer game in years. Nowadays, I stick to casual games on my touch screen devices.

Edited by Cranky Dog
6 people like this

Saturday nights: Switching between a homebrew 5e game in which I play a half-elf bard/rogue and a Pathfinder Age of Worms campaign that I run.

Sunday nights: A Pathfinder game that I run, currently a Skull and Shackles/Savage Tide mash up.

Icewind Dale II, in the Dragon's Eye fighting the yuan-ti. Diablo II, Act II exploring the desert. And Neverwinter Nights 2, in Neverwinter fighting the street gang on the pc

6 people like this

1 hour ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm involved in a semi-regular FrostGrave campaign and that's pretty much it.

6 people like this

Right now I'm playing through the first installment of the Telltale Games Game of Thrones. I'm still in Chapter One. When I finish that I will likely play through the Metal Gear Solid collection culminating with Phantom Pain. I game on Playstation 3 and 4. 

I had a monthly LL game going, but that seems to have dried up over the summer. Same group also dabbled a bit into Zombicide: Black Plague, but again that seems to be over. 

4 people like this

I had to reactivate my old Steam account a couple of weeks ago (my tablet died taking all my app games with it) and it's got me ludicrously hooked on CCGs.

So far, I've completed the free-to-play parts of the single player campaign on Eternal and I've just started Act 2 on Elder Scrolls: Legends.

I've got about another 7 or 8 of them waiting for me.

5 people like this

Tuesday my group meets. We play at 5 houses. Two we play Pathfinder. My character in Rise of the Runelords is a Ranger with Bow.  At my house we play Call of Cthulu. My character at this time is Agatha Mallowan a modern take on Agatha Christie.  The other RPG we will start is Starfinder.  My character will either be a rat mechanic or a telepathic Science Officer Medic.

The last place is Board Games.  We all bring games and vote on what we run.  We like cooperative games.  Lately we have played Harry Potter Battle of Hogwarts Year 7.  We played the other 6 years with one loss (6-1) but year 7 we are something like 0-12.  With four players it is hard  Last game we lost with 8 hp out of 20 on Voldemort.  This is the closest to winning in those games.  Anyone play it at 4 players and win? 

6 people like this

Running 13th age as PbP  the game is over a year old.  we completed the first prewritten adventure and started a 2nd 

3 PCs from a floating prison that crashed in the opening of the campaign. plus a recovering eco-terrorist  and half-orc warrior they picked up along the way.  They are trying to stop kobolds from destroying the world.(more or less) 

Playing Princes of the Apocalypse (D&D 5th ed) It is the DM's first campaign and very by the book.  The regular DM is much better but he needed a break. My character is a Bow ranger with 8 con and 7 chr.  he tries to talk to people all the time, but coughs, wheezes and falls silent.  if he does mange to communicate its a raspy whisper of a few words.   Basically I purposely fail every attempt at social skills, but he always tries first!  then the paladin or bard has to take over.  He is a glass cannon in combat, huge damage, lowest hp in party. 

5 people like this