Gamingdog

health issues from using a magnifier?

I'm getting older and started using a head mounted magnifier to paint miniatures about a year ago. It's great I use it all the time. And recently decided to get a newer one perhaps with a light as the one I'm currently use dosn't have a light. So I starter to look at what's available educating myself as to what's a good brand differences in lens strength and so on and I came across this video.

In the video the presenter mention potential health issues that can arise from over using these magnifiers. I've never heard of that before so decided to search the internet for studies about that very thing. I can't seem to find anything so decided to ask the TMP community about it. Do you use these magnifiers? How long? Have you had any adverse health issues? But more importantly dose anyone has a link to any clinical studies on this issue and the results of those studies. I really want to use the magnifiers properly and not overuse them if there are health risks involved but they are very useful so I don't want to give them up entirely either

• Like 1

I've been using a visor with magnification for 5 years now. No adverse effects. I am nearing 40, so the close-up stuff is getting a little harder to focus on for me, but that's normal age-related vision issue that most people go through. 

• Like 2

I use assorted powers of reading glasses. Reading glasses should be marked better... <_< 

• Like 4

The only "health issues" I've experienced are eye strain and a neck ache, both of which can be solved by periodic breaks and stretching.

• Like 6

I can think of 2 separate issues...

1. Back/neck injuries from sitting with incorrect posture for prolonged periods, if using the magnifier with table clamp.

2. Headaches from using poor quality lenses that might not be correctly positioned...

The first may result in permanent injury, the second should be temporary, unless the user is an idiot...

'Around the neck' magnifiers aren't all that good for your neck, either...

• Like 5

I'd think the hunching over part of the hobby is worse than using magnifiers. As others said, stretching and periodic breaks are good. 

• Like 3

I generally do what the dude in the video says anyhow, I don't ALWAYS wear my visor. I wear it when I need to get closer looks at the tiny details and fiddly bits. I've also been painting a lot of larger scale figures recently, so I don't need to wear the visor nearly as much. 

• Like 2

I don't know about others, but my Optivisor reduced my "health issues". It reduced eye strain/fatigue tremendously. Then again, it is a well designed product. Can't speak of other brands.

But I also know that having improper lighting is also a bad thing. For example, my original hobby lamp was too bright and giving me headaches. Especially if viewed through magnifier lenses.

• Like 4

I'm almost 45 and the health issues I experienced from wearing reading glasses whilst painting is not being able to see any details otherwise.

I've only been wearing them about a year. But, they allow me to sit in a straighter posture and to sit farther back from the model without losing the details.

I paint with 3 daylight LED lamps as well, and have had no adverse effects from using maximum (2.5x) magnification reading glasses for over a year.

But, my eyes get worse every year, and this year I'll probably need to get some for driving. In general though, your vision just starts to deteriorate after 40. So, if you're older than that, a magnifier of some sort is pretty much a requirement.

• Like 2

I have been using my optivisor and a Chinese equivalent for over 2 years with no adverse effects.  I have interchangeable lenses of varying magnification but I generally use 2x and 2.5x .   I am over 59 by the way!

• Like 3

I use a headband with magnifiers and reading glasses.

No problem!

• Like 3

I'm 50, been near sighted for 30+ of those. I have the same lens prescription for the past 20+ years. I've been using a head-mounted magnifier of one brand or another for about 7 years. I put it on the moment I start working on a mini, even just the prep stage. Had a check up with my ophthalmologist a while back, still the same prescription.

I believe the warning shouldn't specifically be on the extended use of magnifiers but with any close up work for extended periods of time, be it reading or looking at computer screens. 

Personally I prefer something like Donegan's Optisight or MagEyes. I can look anywhere around the lens and I have normal vision (reading glasses doesn't give enough magnification for me) which is why I think I can get away with wearing them all the time I'm working on a mini.

• Like 1

The worst I ever experienced in my twenty odd years of using a visor was the initial vertigo/nausea I suffered when I was first getting used to wearing it - and that went away once I trained myself to flip the visor up before looking away from what I was painting.  Now that I'm older, and my vision is starting to crap out on me, I'm glad I got used to wearing the thing.  It's an essential part of my tool kit.

The Egg

• Like 1

Um . . . what?

By that reasoning, we shouldn't change the resolution of our computer screens because the larger fonts will cause us to have worse eyesight.  Large print books would also be causing poorer vision.  Large-screen televisions must be a conspiracy between Samsung and Lenscrafters . . . .

Don't tell my dentist; she uses magnifiers during lots of her work.  I guarantee she uses magnifiers far more often than I use mine. 

No, feel free to use the magnifiers as much or as little as you need.  I find myself needing them far more often, but that's because the muscles that shape the lens are getting as aged as the rest of me, so I don't see things up close as well as I used to.  Now I wear bifocals.  That's age and poor genetics, not because I've used magnifiers in the past.

• Like 4

I use an Optivisor for every level of painting now and I no longer know how I ever painted anything without it.  I don't remember the magnification on it.  I even glance through it to make sure I hit everything when I prime with gesso.  Granted I don't paint near as often as some people.  When I have been using it for a couple of hours I notice a little weakness in my eyes for focusing when I take the visor off but this clears quickly.  I have been nearsighted my whole life also with a pretty strong prescription (-6) and when I have my contacts in I have trouble seeing closer up so the visor lets me hold minis close enough to see details.

• Like 1