Gamingdog

health issues from using a magnifier?

20 posts in this topic

I have a magnifying lamp that I can lay in bed propped up with pillows and paint comfortably with no hunching forward and experience no ill effects. This might be an issue if I didn't lead such an active lifestyle.

Now that I finally got to see the video, the guy is associating using a magnifier with the idea that eyeglasses with the wrong prescription can damage eyes. In reality it's a myth, it does no damage (there are enough optometrists that confirm this).

Eye strain/fatigue yes. Permanent damage, no.

Now if you stare directly into the sun with the magnifier. :blink: Don't, just... don't.

Edited by Cranky Dog
3 people like this

Just don't stare into the sun... period. The sun is crazy bright. 

The moon has approximately the reflectivity of asphalt. The bright white moon we see is only the light reflected from the sun. It is bonkers. 

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Just don't stare into the sun... period. The sun is crazy bright. 

The moon has approximately the reflectivity of asphalt. The bright white moon we see is only the light reflected from the sun. It is bonkers. 

As an aside, if you ever want to take a photo of the moon, you need to treat it like any other sunlit subject. Since everything else is so dark, you probably need to set your exposure manually to get it to work. f/11, ISO 200, and 1/200 second works pretty well, IME.

If you ever see a photo at night with details on the surface of the moon and details in the terrain as well, you can be sure it's a composite of two photos with very different exposures.

1 person likes this

I'll have to bother my dad about what he did for his moon pictures. I think he put a filter on his telescope to lower the light input, but I don't know what settings he had on the camera. Definitely good info though @Doug Sundseth :B):

Speaking of magnifiers.... I need to remember to snag a visor in the near future. Less eye strain would be nice. It isn't a huge problem right now painting, but I certainly take a minute after painting before staring at anything else properly. 

1 person likes this