Cas

Looking for advice on large, very smooth areas on Bones

13 hours ago, Zink said:

I've heard that GW does have a medium but I don't remember what the name of it is now. I have quite a few Vallejo paints and I've found they don't work as well with Bones as the Reaper MSP paints. I make out ok if I can get a good coat of MSP, primer or Liquitex medium down first. Even my Vallejo primer refuses to stick well to Bones. Inks don't work for me either unless there's a good coat of something else first. May not be a big help but try figuring out a paint that does stick and cover for you for a first layer.

I'm actually having beading after getting a first layer on. The thinner paints are beading on a layer of bloody red. I've found several good colors for the base layers and they're sticking to the bones; it's when I paint on top of them on the very smooth areas that I'm having issues.

• Like 2

Yeah, I wasn't sure if that would help or not but figured I'd put in my two cents. It might be to much water like the others said. I'm not that good at shading/highlighting on big empty spaces either. I'm starting to fool around with using medium and flow improver instead of water. The Liquitex medium I'm using makes the paint a little thicker so it doesn't puddle while at the same time more translucent. A drop of flow improver makes it more runny.  It's been interesting experimenting because I've just switched to Reaper but still have a few GW and a bunch of Vallejo paints. They all work a little differently when mixing and trying to get different effects. Sometimes the thicker paints help, sometimes not. Haven't figured it all out yet myself. A lot of my blending looks more like rainbow stripes and I'm working on getting a smoother transition.

• Like 1

A final question you should ask yourself is 'How good is my water?...

A bottle of distilled water isn't all that expensive, and will last a long time. 

(Put some in a spare dropper bottle for use when thinning paints)

Edited by Gadgetman!
  • Like 1

I haven't had issues with my sink water. My BF's water (minerally well) might have trouble. Not sure distilled would be worth the effort.

On 9/3/2017 at 1:51 AM, Cas said:

The local hobby store appears to be out of acrylic medium, and carries only round brushes in sizes under 2. :P

So I started in on that rear flipper, and the paint is beading like I was painting on unwashed bare bones. The paint is an unthinned ink from Vallejo, and the base layer is a regular red color from Vallejo. Testing the others, the heavier paints are going on fine, but many of the colors (not even the inks) are either beading or just showing brush strokes like crazy. 

Should I order in a flow improver? Would this help with beading? 

I think inks should not be the first layer on Bones, I guess these are too watery in the end.

My recommendation would be to use one of Reaper's Liners as a primer as many of us do.

It really works, after those you can use glazes, washes etc without any problem.

I don't know your location, but if your local store doesn't store these ( and / or mediums) I would order some online.

These days a delivery is a day away..

Good luck!