Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ograx

Pink foam with matte sealer

11 posts in this topic

I know you can't really use primer on pink foam but what about matte sealer?

Specifically "Army Painter Matte Sealer"

11 minutes ago, ograx said:

I haven't tried it, but really I think there's a property in the aerosol cans that causes the foam to get "eaten" and degrade quickly. My suggestion is to put something brushed-on before applying any kind of aerosol to foam. It needs a barrier.

1 person likes this

Yeah, don't do it.  It is generally the propellant in the aerosol cans that eats the foam.

Krylon styrofoam primer

There is a spray on primer safe to use on foam, I used it on my last big foam build.  Just heed my warning and do not spray it on the foam once you start having to shake the can to get it to spray, that last little bit contains enough of the propellant to still eat your foam.

Here is a link to the post I made in the reaper advice forum.  Sadly the pics don't show because photobucket sucks now.

3 people like this

Finding out for sure (whether spraycan X will destroy foam terrain project Y) is what those offcuts of pink foam you saved during construction are for. 

Grab some. Give them a close range blast. Do SCIENCE™!

4 people like this

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

Finding out for sure (whether spraycan X will destroy foam terrain project Y) is what those offcuts of pink foam you saved during construction are for. 

Grab some. Give them a close range blast. Do SCIENCE™!

Always wear protective eyewear and face mask or respirator when doing these types of things as playing with chemical reactions can be very hazardous or even dangerous. 

2 people like this

In all seriousness Ub3r is right, that would be something to try outdoors at the very least. 

12 hours ago, ograx said:

You have not said how big this expanse of pink foam is. 

But pro-tip: the terrain builders "prime" pink foam with water-based stuff like latex house paint. Examples:

Straight up latex acrylic paint. 

50/50 mix of wood glue and acrylic paint. 

Gesso and latex acrylic is another mix. 

People will mix fine sand into their paint to make a textured paint.

Cheapest source of paint for this purpose is Home Depot®:

main-qimg-ef84be78aee3789c2b8f8f2bd0cd7a

8oz. Plastic Tub ^ for 50¢

They let people return paint. They drizzle in a few additional colorant drops (randomly chosen) and stick the odd color result on a tiny shelf in the paint department near the mixing station. Two 8oz. Containers for a buck. One for fifty cents. 

2 people like this

I've created hills out of styrofoam a few years ago.

After I painted them by brush, I used a spray can of Sealer.

No problem. But be sure to HAVE PAINTED IT ALL!!!

Areas that are not covered/protected in paint WILL be eaten..

Edited by Glitterwolf
2 people like this

Check out Black Magic Craft on Youtube.  He makes tones of terrain with pink foam and he uses Minwax Polyurethane sealer on them. He applies it after priming with his own mix (see below) and paint.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNyf69SWJ88

He also has a video on Why did the Minwax melt my styrofoam...  proper application  tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA3RciXFVxM&t=2sHe also preps/primes all his stuff using a mix of ModPodge mixed with cheap craft paint.  I did the same with the base for T'Raukzul and it worked great. 

His ModPodge mix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR-tgtcuRPg&t=1s

Haven't sealed it yet as I'm not done (I know.. slacker...) but will be giving the Minwax a try. 

Good luck! 

3 people like this

Thanks, I always forget youtube has videos on everything.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, TGP said:

But pro-tip: the terrain builders "prime" pink foam with water-based stuff like latex house paint. Examples:

Straight up latex acrylic paint. 

50/50 mix of wood glue and acrylic paint. 

Gesso and latex acrylic is another mix. 

People will mix fine sand into their paint to make a textured paint.

Cheapest source of paint for this purpose is Home Depot®:

main-qimg-ef84be78aee3789c2b8f8f2bd0cd7a

8oz. Plastic Tub ^ for 50¢

They let people return paint. They drizzle in a few additional colorant drops (randomly chosen) and stick the odd color result on a tiny shelf in the paint department near the mixing station. Two 8oz. Containers for a buck. One for fifty cents. 

What he said.

Slobber on* some latex** paint, making sure to cover the entire surface, possibly including part or all of the underside in case of overspray. When that's dry, you can spray nearly anything on.

I crumbled the edges of some of the cheapest sort of expanded polystyrene (styrofoam) to make rock shapes, painted with latex, then sprayed on rock texture paint. Worked quite well and I've had that piece of terrain for a couple of decades now. It could use some repairs, as expanded polystyrene isn't really very durable at all, but the fact that it has lasted this long is a testament to the technique.

* Technical painter's term.

** I think it's called "emulsion" paint in the UK and possibly elsewhere.

2 people like this

Yeah I had tubs of cheap wall paint that they threw away at work so I just used those and it worked great.

I have literally garbage bags full of pieces of pink foam so I want to try and use it now that I have the setup to build terrain. ( Large workshop)

3 people like this