Keffie

Lighting @ reapercon

25 posts in this topic

Being my first reapercon I was wondering what lighting at classes is like.   Does bringing your own work in terms of better lighting and is electrical available.   

Did search first but did not find a thread.  

Thanks in advance.  

1 minute ago, Keffie said:

Being my first reapercon I was wondering what lighting at classes is like.   Does bringing your own work in terms of better lighting and is electrical available.   

Did search first but did not find a thread.  

Thanks in advance.  

Lighting is okay in the classrooms, really a lot of people bring their own laps like the ottlights with batteries in them which can be used anywhere and then charge up later. If memory serves me, the convention center is just the florescent lighting throughout. You'll see all the artists/sculptors in their classes and on artist row will have 1-2 of their own lights (I'm not sure if these are supplied by Reaper for them or not). 

4 minutes ago, Keffie said:

Being my first reapercon I was wondering what lighting at classes is like.

The light level was typical for a Best Buy big box store. That is what the space was originally built to be.

4 minutes ago, Keffie said:

Does bringing your own work? in terms of better lighting and is electrical available.

It was allowed, but there was very little additional electrical...the class areas and the artist's row had used most all of it.

Just now, ub3r_n3rd said:

Lighting is okay in the classrooms, really a lot of people bring their own laps like the ottlights with batteries in them which can be used anywhere and then charge up later.

Battery powered, super efficient LED type is definitely the way to go. 

Just now, ub3r_n3rd said:

If memory serves me, the convention center is just the florescent lighting throughout. You'll see all the artists/sculptors in their classes and on artist row will have 1-2 of their own lights (I'm not sure if these are supplied by Reaper for them or not). 

The artist row lights last year were all identical models; pretty sure those were set up for the artists. 

2 people like this

Bring a battery OTT light, you'll be glad you did...

Rechargeable batteries are good too...

3 people like this

I haven't been all that happy with the battery-powered OTT Lites. They're pretty dim and they don't last all that long. If you do bring them, bring plenty of batteries.

I'll mention that I've been using the Viltrox L116T, which is designed as an LED photo light and can be powered by standard Sony video batteries. They're more expensive, especially once you add in batteries and chargers or power supplies and some way of holding them up (I use small tripods). But they're so much nicer in pretty much every way than the OTT Lites that I never use those anymore.

2 people like this

14 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

I haven't been all that happy with the battery-powered OTT Lites. They're pretty dim and they don't last all that long. If you do bring them, bring plenty of batteries.

I'll mention that I've been using the Viltrox L116T, which is designed as an LED photo light and can be powered by standard Sony video batteries. They're more expensive, especially once you add in batteries and chargers or power supplies and some way of holding them up (I use small tripods). But they're so much nicer in pretty much every way than the OTT Lites that I never use those anymore.

How long have the batteries lasted for you? What settings got the best light to battery life ratio? How many batteries do you recommend? I'm looking at the Viltrox on Amazon and the FAQ says on high the battery lasts about 1.5 hours before getting noticeably dim.

ETA: How much area get's lit up? Is enough that someone on either side of you can use the light? Or is it more like the Ott light in pretty much just the one person?

Edited by nakos
1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, nakos said:

How long have the batteries lasted for you? What settings got the best light to battery life ratio? How many batteries do you recommend? I'm looking at the Viltrox on Amazon and the FAQ says on high the battery lasts about 1.5 hours before getting noticeably dim.

ETA: How much area get's lit up? Is enough that someone on either side of you can use the light? Or is it more like the Ott light in pretty much just the one person?

At 100%, they're really bright. Several times as bright as corded OTT Lites. They also provide quite a large source, so very soft light.

I'd agree with the 1.5 hours until you notice the light getting dim at 100% power and using an F550 battery. Bigger batteries and lower power levels will last longer.

I'm currently using them at 40% most of the time (100% is really bright), but I nearly always have my power supplies plugged in, so I'm not sure how much longer the 550 will last at that level. Don't forget to get a charger (the batteries I bought came with one.)

2 people like this

What type of tripod do you use Doug?

3 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

What type of tripod do you use Doug?

The tripod I actually like is a Joby Gorillapod (the Gorillapod SLR Zoom, IIRC) that I originally got for my DSLR. But they're expensive, so I only have one. The other tripod is a cheap mini-tripod that I have to set up oddly so that the light doesn't tip it over. I keep thinking about replacing it with another Gorillapod, but inertia.

1 person likes this

I've switched to a light mounted on my Optivisor.  It allows me to paint/sculpt anywhere. Batteries last for 20 to 40 hours of sculpting time.

29.498__66910.1477007143.500.750.jpg?c=2

One big advantage is that the light is coming directly from my eye area, so nothing is in shadow to my eyes.

7 people like this

12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I've switched to a light mounted on my Optivisor.  It allows me to paint/sculpt anywhere. Batteries last for 20 to 40 hours of sculpting time.

29.498__66910.1477007143.500.750.jpg?c=2

One big advantage is that the light is coming directly from my eye area, so nothing is in shadow to my eyes.

bet it's heavy though, and inexpensive......

1 person likes this

On 9/6/2017 at 11:51 PM, Doug Sundseth said:

The tripod I actually like is a Joby Gorillapod (the Gorillapod SLR Zoom, IIRC) that I originally got for my DSLR. But they're expensive, so I only have one. The other tripod is a cheap mini-tripod that I have to set up oddly so that the light doesn't tip it over. I keep thinking about replacing it with another Gorillapod, but inertia.

I was wondering about how a cheap mini tripod would work. Since for portability in small spots I don't know if a full sized tripod would be workable.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, knarthex said:

bet it's heavy though, and inexpensive......

No, not really heavy.  The 2 AA batteries are about 75% of the weight.  I guess I don't actually notice it weight wise.

They run between $22 to $27, depending on where you look.

6 people like this

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

No, not really heavy.  The 2 AA batteries are about 75% of the weight.  I guess I don't actually notice it weight wise.

They run between $22 to $27, depending on where you look.

Good call, I was looking for something like this.  Found one on Amazon, $24.  Should be here in a few days, look forward to trying it out.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

I was wondering about how a cheap mini tripod would work. Since for portability in small spots I don't know if a full sized tripod would be workable.

I've been tilting the light over using the ballhead so it's almost vertical  to bring it down close to the table so that I get good light on the front of the figure I'm working on. This would normally cause a small tripod to tip over. To prevent that, I've been shortening the leg away from the light to move the center of mass back between the tripod legs. Works fairly well, though if you're battery powered, the bigger the battery, the harder it is to keep the light balanced.

I'll also note that it's possible to just set the Viltrox lights on the table you're working on, but they have a tendency to tip over, because they're not very thick. And with a battery, I'm not sure they'll stay upright at all when set on the table.

2 people like this