Keffie

Lighting @ reapercon

I do not think there will be lights other than the overheads provided in the class areas. This was done in the past when there were 4-5 classrooms of 6 or fewer people, but I think it is cost prohibitive for Reaper to do it now. The facility is in a strip mall, in a former department store type of place. So ceiling mounted fluorescents. The lighting isn't terrible, but it's also not terrific. If you feel you are someone who needs more light than that situation would provide, you will want to consider bringing your own light.

As stated by others, something battery operated is your best bet. There will likely be electrical hookup in some of the classes (some use AV equipment or airbrushes), but I don't know that it's slated for all the classroom areas. I do know that access to electrical outlets in the open painting table areas will be limited. So again battery operated options are going to be your best bet to guarantee lighting.

For myself as an instructor, I'm used to working in non-optimal convention style lighting for classes. 80% of people have no major issues with it. It's not ideal, there are some subtleties in paint jobs that can get lost. Most topics that get taught aren't purely about such subtle kinds of effects. I also try to take the lighting situation into account when giving people feedback on their work in the class. My goal is always to aim for getting the concept down as much as possible for future refined use rather than expecting someone to try to execute something perfect in less than optimal conditions. I have also taken to bringing a small battery operated light to classes to use to pass around figures for people to look at and I think that helps, but I don't know how many other instructors do that. (The light I use is one of those little Otts, and I agree it's not great for painting with. This is not only because of the power of the light, but because it's pretty short. It works a bit better if you can put it on a stack of something to raise the height.)

• Like 5

On 9/7/2017 at 10:50 AM, TaleSpinner said:

I've switched to a light mounted on my Optivisor.  It allows me to paint/sculpt anywhere. Batteries last for 20 to 40 hours of sculpting time.

29.498__66910.1477007143.500.750.jpg?c=2

One big advantage is that the light is coming directly from my eye area, so nothing is in shadow to my eyes.

Do you like the spectrum on those things for painting, or is it purely a sculpting aid?

• Like 2

My problems with light on the optivisor is I also still paint without using it at times (flipped up).  So I still need to have good light from another source.

In fact don't expect to be able to plug into anything. I doubt reaper con afford to have loose cords running all over the floor. What power is available will be very dedicated to the artists, classrooms, dealers and competition area.

Reaper will likely be removing cords plugged in that pose safety hazards.

You will not be allowed to tape your cords down.

If you feel you need personal lighting, chose battery powered options.

I may bring my 11" cube photo booth.. it has 2 LED light strips in it and runs on a USB power pack.. 

This is tempting though

712WIC7zNmL._SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 11:07 AM, SamuraiJack said:

I may bring my 11" cube photo booth.. it has 2 LED light strips in it and runs on a USB power pack.. 

This is tempting though

712WIC7zNmL._SL1500_.jpg

I have that. Don't rely too much on the light - it is a small led, and you basically have to have the mini in the helping hands (or by them) in order for it to light the mini. It works, but it is just so narrow that it might be a little constrained. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2017 at 11:40 AM, klarg1 said:

Do you like the spectrum on those things for painting, or is it purely a sculpting aid?

It's not bad.  It is a fairly pure, white light.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:07 AM, SamuraiJack said:

This is tempting though

712WIC7zNmL._SL1500_.jpg

I can' help but feel that this device is designed to lock a miniature in place, and torture it until it reveals its secrets.

• Like 5

On 9/18/2017 at 3:32 PM, klarg1 said:

I can' help but feel that this device is designed to lock a miniature in place, and torture it until it reveals its secrets.

Well it is a soldering station so melting off little bits of the mini would be entirely appropriate....

• Like 4