Followers 0
SamuraiJack

Live
Fat Dragon Dragonlock 3 Terrain

15 posts in this topic

About this project

7d552d86625534ca2fe495ef18f6a5a5_origina

PLEASE NOTE: 

• A starter 3D printer begins around $220 (see F.A.Q.)
  • Each pledge level includes all previous pledge levels.
  • The optional $10 Add-On sets shown below can be added to any pledge level by adding the appropriate amount to your core pledge, or select one of the 'Hero' pledge levels that fits your needs.
  • There is no pledge level that includes the 'Prior Kickstarter Add-Ons'. You must add the amount for these sets to whatever pledge level you choose.
  • We do not use an after-campaign pledge manager. All pledges must be in by the end of the campaign.

DRAGONLOCK™ is an interlocking terrain system that allows you to create fully modular, multi-level 28mm scale village terrain for your RPG or wargame on your home 3D printer. Each set is delivered in a downloadable .stl format via our online distribution partner DriveThruRPG.com, and once you have the set, you can print as many pieces as you like and never run out or need to purchase more. These terrain sets represent the culmination of over twelve years of gaming terrain design experience.

Fat Dragon Games is the only 3D printer terrain company that is part of the prestigious DriveThruRPG Community Content program, which includes Margaret Weis Productions, Monte Cook Games, and Wizards of the Coast’s DMs Guild. Our Dragonbite Community Creator program allows YOU to sell your own Dragonbite-compatible terrain designs on DriveThruRPG, RPGNow, and Wargame Vault!

By supporting us through Kickstarter, you get bonus models that won't be available later, and access to free stretch rewards. We have been in the 'print-and-play' terrain business for over twelve years, and have successfully delivered eight previous Kickstarter projects, so you can pledge with confidence that we will deliver a high-quality product on time.

FREE STRETCH REWARDS that will increase the size of the terrain offerings will be available to anyone pledging at the 'Realm of the Mountain King' pledge level or higher. Spread the word about this project to your friends and post about it on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc., and GET FREE BONUS MODELS as the pledges rise!

A standard dungeon wall piece costs around $0.40 in plastic to print yourself, far cheaper than factory-made terrain! All of the models shown were printed at 100-200 micron resolution, a common standard on most economical 3D printers. A nice starter printer that can print these files starts around $220 (see our F.A.Q. for more info on printers, printing costs, filaments, and more.)

Even if you don't currently own a 3D printer, it benefits you to support this campaign now. You can get all of the free stretch rewards, exclusive content in some sets not available later, and have a digital library of village terrain ready to go when you do purchase a printer.

bf477f5bed63ab21d39509c4eb21a1a2_origina

SPECIAL THANKS TO REAPER MINIATURES for allowing us to use their miniatures in our photos and video! (www.reapermini.com)

CLICK HERE FOR A FREE SAMPLE SET OF DRAGONLOCK!

5276212af40f69d2147cd851f7fb0282_origina

bc2990059abae61d3ed474904df9ebb9_origina

We are known worldwide for our attention to the smallest details. Our models feature richly detailed textures by industry-leading sculptors. 

Our models feature high resolution sculpting detail. Our models feature high resolution sculpting detail.

4705b850f486babf5c950cff4f0b2f24_origina

PLEASE NOTE: All images that are digital renders are clearly designated as such. We don't want digital renders being mistaken for a real printed model in our previews. 

Digital render of the 'Wilderness Encounters' pledge level (final design subject to change). Digital render of the 'Wilderness Encounters' pledge level (final design subject to change).

Sample layout from the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level. Sample layout from the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level.

Digital render of the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level (final design subject to change). Digital render of the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level (final design subject to change).

Sample layout from the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level. Sample layout from the 'Mountain Adventures' pledge level.

Gargoyle brazier model from the 'Dungeon Delve Part 1' pledge level. Gargoyle brazier model from the 'Dungeon Delve Part 1' pledge level.
Edited by SamuraiJack
2 people like this

While I don't have a printer & probably won't for awhile, thou I have told myself 2018 will be the year I get into 3d printing. I probably will put a pledge in for this one just to have the files. Granted, right now I have a couple sources for Fat Dragon prints, just having my own would be nice + save money in long run as well.

2 people like this

Just want to point out that the image above is actually of printed pieces, not 3D renders. Had a brief chat with Tom on Facebook and he said that the "statue" was printed at 0.1mm layer height while the columns were printed at 0.2mm layer height. They were then given several coats of grey primer before being painted with regular craft acrylics. They took the picture in their office, lighted with an LED lamp.

4 people like this

On 9/3/2017 at 7:10 PM, Knight of the Dinner Table said:

sigh ... I have a 3d Printer coming for Christmas ... so I have a negative will roll.

I am with you on this. The 3D printer is on order and should have by Christmas. I bought the prior Fat Dragon 3D files when they had a sale running, so my will save will be pretty low on this one as well. 

1 person likes this

First reaction: Good Thing I'm not THAT much into dwarves, so I'll get +2 to my will roll

Second thought: But ... I have a mine (scenery) coming ... a dwarven mine ... -4 to will roll.

1 person likes this

They're just doing 3d print stuff these days, aren't they? I really like their papercraft stuff, I have boxes full of it.

1 person likes this

Just filled out the Backerkit for my Obsidian 3D printer. Permanent negative modifier to these kickstarters now. 

2 people like this

They're not as similar as I'd like. They're both basically 2x2x2" to represent a 1" grid, but the DF pieces have walls and floors around 3/8" thick, while the Dragonlock models have 1/2" walls and 1/4" (ish) floors. So they are pretty obviously different if you try to use them together.

My plan was to use the Dragonlock pieces for pre-built setups, especially stock buildings and locations characters come back to, but I haven't gotten around to printing enough of them yet.

If you are interested in 3D printing the Dragonlock KSs have provided a lot of good stuff, but know what to expect - it will take some experimenting and dialing in settings to get models you'll be satisfied with. Also printing takes a long time (unfortunately, my hobby time is pretty intermittent, so this has been an issue for me) so its a slow process to build up a large collection of terrain models. But if you really want 3D printing in your repertoire, these are a great way to get lots of different RPG terrain designs to print.

I've backed both of the earlier Dragonlock KSs and will probably back this one (at least for SF pieces so I can dream of the Starfinder spaceship interior of my dreams).

Thanks for the comparison and overview.  Too bad about the dimensions, they have some interesting singleton tiles I would have liked to mix with mostly df setups. Does look like there is a supportive community on their boards to help get into 3d printing.

I like their work on the papercraft side, still havent gotten into 3d printing.

Hmmm 1/2 and 1/4 matches up with the Hirst Arts stuff. And some of this stuff looks really good. I don't have a printer though. Not sure when I can afford to get one, although I imagine I'll get one eventually.