SamuraiJack

Fat Dragon Dragonlock 3 Terrain

I'm kind of new to 3d printing (as in, my printer won't be here until February - recently backed the Cubibot KickStarter), so maybe I'm just uneducated here.. but doesn't the price seems a bit steep for 3d files to me.

1 hour ago, eldamir said:

I'm kind of new to 3d printing (as in, my printer won't be here until February - recently backed the Cubibot KickStarter), so maybe I'm just uneducated here.. but doesn't the price seems a bit steep for 3d files to me.

Well, it's kind of a personal decision, but you get really a decent number of models for the price (granted I don't expect to use some of the models). Modeling is real work (it is basically digital sculpting). Also, its a one-time investment for as many as you feel like printing (once you have models and a printer, the consumables are pretty inexpensive compared to buying cast/molded terrain). Comparing Kickstarter prices with things like printablescenery their prices seem in line with other projects (don't necessarily compare to model download sites, there are some cheap but crappy models out there).

Also, Fat Dragon has so far done an great job of supporting and updating the models. Since I backed the first one, there were a few issues that they quickly resolved with updated designs, and they have since redesigned the locking mechanism completely (the new system works *much* better) without charging for a version 2.0. 

For me the value of the models is there, assuming they're models I'll print and use.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback; that makes sense and since the Christmas budget is in play, I'll have to do some thinking about it before I bite the bullet.

If you google Fat Dragon Games you'll find their website. They have a free sample pack, if there is a library or maker space nearby you can try it out there. And their forum has great support in troubleshooting most printers and getting the best print for the printer. Fat Dragon Games also permits customer created files to augment what they sell, and usually, you can find quite a number of them on the forum. Their forum atmosphere is very much like Reaper's.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nakos said:

If you google Fat Dragon Games you'll find their website. They have a free sample pack, if there is a library or maker space nearby you can try it out there. And their forum has great support in troubleshooting most printers and getting the best print for the printer. Fat Dragon Games also permits customer created files to augment what they sell, and usually, you can find quite a number of them on the forum. Their forum atmosphere is very much like Reaper's.

Yes just like how so many people here on the Reaper forums are willing to help others become better at miniature painting on the Fat Dragon forums so many people are willing to help others use their 3D printers to get the best out of them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fat Dragon Tom said:

Here are some previews of our prototype castle wall fully painted up. The castle set is a free stretch reward in this KS. :)

Castle6W10.jpg

Tom any chance that in the final version the gargoyles could be printed separate.  IMO it would be great to be able to print different attachable décor to make a castle have a different look.

Yes, we are looking into various options for redressing the upper piece (i.e. swap parts out for a more Mordor-ish look, etc.) Having the gargoyles attach with a peg is one thing we are looking into. :)

I have to admit the Mountain Adventures set is intriguing to me, because it's modular hex terrain (in small pieces similar to dungeon squares).  I have a bunch of HeroScape sets I use at conventions for Battletech, but I never considered the possibility of using some other system for 3D hexes.

Edited by Jeneki
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Boaz
       That right guys and gals their not just for wedding cakes ... I like to fill mine with expanding foam (when I have a few foam projects lined up, the can of foam never works for me later so it's a use it or lose it) chop em up (once dry) and butter the ends with something rough and stout (I used flexall) ... a few examples from a city set I was working on before I moved (still unfinnished) ...

cities abound in hard cover so it's mostly for looks, nice looks but looks ... in a jungle or desert set it's a great way to add hard cover and have an overgrown lost temple (jungle) or lost oasis side ruins (desert) ... it's a simple and straight forward technique to add just the right sized cover in just about any table set you got ...

I got a large bag of them fairly cheap at a craft store (Michesls) a great value for the buck.

P.S. the Grey rubble is old model sprew rum through an old hand crank meat grinder ... who knew modeling could be so much fun !
    • By Boaz
       Started building a Kulathi battle force and colony outpost for their Kuden-3 outpost, in the Beehive star cluster, in the crab nebula ... 

Having 3 fingers a hand and 6 limbs the number system fore the Kulathi is based on 6 ... with 2,3 and 4 also prominent, so I based there units on 6 ...

An officer (2 pistols = smg) 3 left hand smg and 2 right hand automatic rifles make a strike team ... no other unit types teams can exceed the number of strike teams.

The fire team has 1 officer 1 smg and 4 auto rifles ... a longer ranged bite.

I'm also adding a few hound of Tindalos units (4 with 1 smg and 1 officer kulathi) with bigger things in the works ...

• By Harrek
      Surprised I did not see this mentioned yet.

So my question here once people look at it is this really worth it?  The cost seems high given you can get Rosemary & Co or other company Kolinsky brushes far cheaper.  What makes these worth the extra cost?  I know you get the brush soap (which I would think most of us have already) and a nice case (not really needed perhaps).  But seems like $65ish with shipping for 4 brushes seems high.
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project
      Designed by Archon Studio, creators of League of Ancient Defenders and Vanguard of Warcomes Empire of Men - a miniature line of 28mm scale set in dark future, where World War I still rages on.
      War that should have ended long time ago
      Our miniatures are based on various military designs from World War I and II eras, with obvious dark sci-fi twist added to it. Divided into two factions, they are more closer to it's historical sources or more imaginative on the other hand.

Heavy boots, thick leather coats and gas masks worn by everyone - that's The Great Empire in the nutshell. What they are lacking in physicality, they will compensate in calibers and amount of shots per minute. As World War One rages on mostly on their lands, toxic warfare resulted in whole zones being inhabited by mutated people, who eventually serve as Ubermans. Nothing is wasted in Military Industrial Complex of Great Empire.

Inhuman sleekness, terrifying effectiveness and cold calculation are Echelon Dominion's traits. After mandatory "Echelon Civilian Enhancement" government programs, can no longer considered as "human". This is not a decision taken solely by The Great Empire, but also by the Echelon, who see human equating to weakness. Where other forces deploy heavy infantry, The Echelon deploy Constructs. Where other forces face fear and suffering, they welcome challenge and seek to prove themselves. Their purpose is unknown as they don’t fight solely for the purpose of land, honor or survival but whatever their plan is it will end current era for mankind for sure.
      How the models are built
      All models from "Empire of Men" line are multipart and 28mm scaled. You can see overview of sizes below:

Also - if you have backed any of the previous Archon's campaigns, you can compare sizes of Empire of Men models with VoW and LOAD miniatures as well.

• By SamuraiJack
      About
      Over the last two years Halfsies Dice have taken the dice market by storm in the form of 7-die RPG sets, but up until this time there has been no option available for Halfsies Dice in bulk.  In fact, to date, Kickstarter has never had any campaign for dedicated bulk dice sets ...and frankly, it's eaten away at us this whole time.
      "What about Fireball!?", I think. 
      "What about Warhammer!?", I think. 
      Well, the time has come to appease the fist, and fill it with the heaviest, densest, and most well balanced resin dice on the planet!
      Time for some serious dice chucking!

This campaign is unique and special in the following ways:  
      This is a Kickstarter-exclusive product.  You won't be finding these at your FLGS post-campaign. Production stock is limited.  Pledge early to claim the sets you want before we run out. You'll "Pledge" and fill out the "Pledge Manager" (PM) in the same day.  Pledges are final at time of submission and can't be altered. Best of all: Rewards ship in under a month.  Shipping: April 2018 ...guaranteed!

• Who's Online   40 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)