OtterlyTrying

Bones Vernone, Ivy Crown Knight 77382

Well, here goes the next post.  

Was not happy with how he turned out.  This was a second attempt at white armor.  Still haven't gotten it right.  I'll be trying again...later.  I had numerous issues with this one.  Additionally, I know the pictures aren't great.

My earlier post had the paired mini.  I think I saw a rule about posting pics of more time than one mini or I'd put that one in here as well as the paint scheme was meant to match.

20170904_200907.thumb.jpg.c3aefb64695588ab0fd256d27717d4e5.jpg

20170904_200827.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for the link.  I've read that one before but I didn't apply everything correctly.  That link was one of the inspirations to try white.  I was going for more of a white enamel look.  Any tips for that?  The white turned out chalky.

• Like 1

What paints are you using?

Reasons for chalkiness:

• Paint not shaken up well enough
  • Painting over paint before previous layer is dry
  • Allowing paint to dry on your brush and then it comes off in "pebbles" and chalks up
  • Using some brands of really old paint
  • Using too thick of paint

I usually use Reaper paints myself. I like to use a tad bit of flow improver and a little bit of water like 3 drops paint to 1:flow improver to 1: water. Then I get a nice consistency to the paint (this is my personal preference). It allows me to use the paint thinned down and apply in layers rather than gloop on too much which would could cover over details.

If I was doing white enamel, it's supposed to be very shiny. So take the example from that link I gave you and go with the Knight. After you are done doing that, you could use some brush on sealer to seal it and it is semi-gloss, which would give you the shine you want.

• Like 3

I am new to painting but the one thing I have been very successful with is metallics. I made some pretty awesome looking "white"  armor by dry brushing a little bit of silver over a white base coat. I imagine that doing the same with a clear reflective sealant of some kind could lead to something close to an enamel look.

• Like 1

I'd go with the tutorials that Ub3r already linked (which I still need to practice), and then.... pick some more forgiving colors for a while. White is a pain in the butt. Okay, and then try white again. You have to be brave with using off-white colors and grays applied delicately in the nooks and crannies. 

For the enamel part perhaps you want a tiny bit of gloss coat on the highest peaks. But, to deal with chalkiness, Ub3r again beat me to it. You don't have to use flow improver, although some do. You can try simply thinning with water and find a consistency you like that way too. It is worth experimenting. 

• Like 3

For Metallic paints I use Scale 75, they have to be shaken like hell ( and don't forget to pierce the tip, since it comes closed) but they have the best coverage of metallics.

They also have coloured metallics like white, reds, greens etc.

Check out their sets.

• Like 3