ladystorm

Bones You'd Like to See, thread #4

Human Scale Mechanical Persons

Half-dragons (dragonborn)

Gnomes. (there are maybe 7-10 gnomes in the bones line)

Halflings (somehow there are even fewer halflings)

More heroes holding things other than swords/weapons

I sorted my bones into hero categories, and "humanoid with sword(s)" was by far the largest bag.

• Like 9

The Bones wish list:

Deep Ones/Kuo-Toan Leviathon

Deep Ones with tridents, nets, and mancatchers

Vulture Lions (From the Melnibone Mythos)

Surtur

Storm Giants

Tail and middle section for Goremaw (unless the Goremaw model is the tail ...then a head instead)

Elder brain

More Derro

EtterCap

Azer

Effigy

Lava Child

Firbolg

Warforged

• Like 7

Doors and windows - for 2.5D gaming.

Doors are fairly common, but windows are a good deal less so - and very useful for when PCs are breaking into, are being attacked through, or being thrown out the windows of an inn, caste, or other building.

I am thinking 1/2 inch from base to bottom of window, and a total of maybe 2 inches, and one inch wide.

I was planning on making some of my own, but then discovered that the the item I was planning on using appears to no longer exist - when did they stop making those plastic mesh trays for the grocery store? They used to be all over the place, for berries and tomatoes.

The Auld Grump.

• Like 5

Tiik warriors with harpoons.

Tiik spellcasters (clerics and wizard-types).

Tiiks with shell shields or axes--possibly some sort of urchin armor ('cuz spykez!)

Tiik retiarius/laquearius

Tiik grenadier (probably filled with something akin to Greek fire...)

More Tiik, just in general.

• Like 8

On 10/2/2018 at 11:06 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Doors and windows - for 2.5D gaming.

Doors are fairly common, but windows are a good deal less so - and very useful for when PCs are breaking into, are being attacked through, or being thrown out the windows of an inn, caste, or other building.

I am thinking 1/2 inch from base to bottom of window, and a total of maybe 2 inches, and one inch wide.

I was planning on making some of my own, but then discovered that the the item I was planning on using appears to no longer exist - when did they stop making those plastic mesh trays for the grocery store? They used to be all over the place, for berries and tomatoes.

The Auld Grump.

I've actually hoarded a few of those plastic mesh berry trays once I discovered I couldn't find them in stores anymore.  I have used them for windows for fantasy buildings, as they work nicely as a way to suggest the leaded framework for a fantasy-world townhouse window, but since it's just an open frame, it's still possible to see things through it (vs. if I'd made it look like polished horn or a mass of bottle-bottoms fused together).

Anyway, some sort of standard window marker would be nice.  I often represent building interiors with flat floor tiles, but use 3D elements for large furnishings and anything that might represent a portal -- a trap door, a staircase, a door, a portcullis, a window, etc.  Thanks to Hirst Arts, I've got a good supply of doors, but they're Hydrocal, and require a lot of maintenance.  (They're also quite heavy.)

The best doors I have are the old Warhammer Quest plastic tile-linking archways, but SKULLZ! are not appropriate for all situations.  They're plastic, durable, and large enough that some of the larger dungeon denizens (ogres, minotaurs, the occasional dragon) might plausibly squeeze through them, vs. the typically tiny dungeon doors used in so many setups.  This is especially important for systems such as IKRPG, where a good portion of the player races have minis that go on 40mm bases (and their stompy robot or wild beast pets are even bigger).  To represent closed doors, I use thick cardboard inserts, with some layering to represent hinges, handles, etc., and scored to represent wood grain and engravings.  The trouble is that I cannot easily get more, for a larger layout.

I'd positively love it if Reaper would have some PACKS of self-standing doors and windows in the harder grey Bonesium.  I'm willing to compromise with flat-backed doors/windows (of use for people making tabletop terrain or dioramas) as long as they're symmetrical enough that I can glue two back-to-back for a self-standing door/window piece.

IMHO, it's better if it's a piece that DOES NOT have a door permanently fused to an archway, unless it's possible to cut the door out so I can represent an open doorway.

I've been thinking about trying to experiment with #77640 "Graveyard Entryway" or #77635 "Graveyard Archway," once my FLGS has them in stock, to see if it might be possible to put together a few standing door pieces, and "sandwich" some thin cardboard door pieces between back-to-back glued arches.  Maybe the "Graveyard Archway" could be turned into a large window if it were elevated off the ground (how? I'm not quite sure yet) and I used some fabric mesh to make a lattice-work within the frame to represent the window.  I haven't tackled it yet, though, so I've no idea how it'll actually turn out.

Self-standing doors could be handy for sci-fi as well, but one important detail is that the doors need to be BIG ENOUGH for characters to plausibly get through -- at the very least, for the beefy IMEF troopers to get through comfortably, but it would also be nice to have some "blast doors" or the like that the IMEF Bulldog could fit through as well.  Presently, I use a collection of Space Hulk and "Doom: The Board Games" in this role -- basically plastic stands with printed cardboard "door" inserts -- plus a few Grendel "cargo bay" doors (glued back-to-back) to represent larger "blast doors" (but scale creep means they're no longer big enough for such a role -- the Bulldog would have to do the limbo to get through). 

For sci-fi windows (view ports, etc.) I have a selection of plastic fan vent cover pieces (originally meant for PC tower boxes) with interesting patterns, mounted on cavalry bases.  Sometimes it's important to know where NOT to throw a frag grenade in the battle, unless you've got a spaceworthy suit on and your enemies would have a harder time with being sucked into space.  I would prefer rectangular sci-fi door designs over fancy octagonal or hexagonal portal designs, simply because that way you could put two rectangular doors side-by-side to make a double-wide door if needed.

I'm really at a loss for doors/windows for modern or near-modern settings.  I usually just resort to cardstock stand-ups at present (or clear blister plastic for floor-to-ceiling store-front windows), which looks pretty sad compared to the rest of my terrain -- but it's still very important to portray all of this when you're seeking shelter in, say, a convenience store, in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, so the players aren't totally taken aback ("But I didn't KNOW there were WINDOWS!") when the zombies simply start smashing right through the glass.

In any case, the harder plastic (or even resin) would be preferable for door and window pieces.  They just aren't "organic" enough for the bendier white Bonesium to be able to do the job, I think.

• Like 4

Casualties of all races and also dead animals.

Always good to litter bases and terrain with.

• Like 8

Small shipwreck golems, a bit smaller than human sized and made from flotsam. 

Small flying ship/skiff. 

Dead trees, with or without creepy stuff hanging from them. 

Cool basing bits, so pieces of statues, corpses, loot, signs. 

• Like 5

Not-Dragonborn non-martial class figures like monks, wizards, rogue, etc. (ie something different then what's available now)

Half-orc bard

On 10/10/2018 at 3:10 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Casualties of all races and also dead animals.

Always good to litter bases and terrain with.

& before they are corpses, undead of all races besides human!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1