• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crowley
      In the Storm King's Thunder campaign I'm playing in we've had 2 encounters with an ancient blue dragon named Iymrith. I don't have a painted blue dragon... And my very pregnant DM isn't going to get one bought and painted before we need her, so...

Digging through my minis, I figured Narthrax was as close as I've got. It was going to be blue anyway (or dessert sands brown) so that was my top choice. I also thought about the wizkids dragons, but the FLGS only had the green, and I wasn't all that impressed with the sculpt. I'd rather drop $30 on another Narthrax if I'm gonna paint a brown one in the future.

Tonight I pulled her out, scrubbed her down, and started working on her base.
      She could probably for on a smaller base, but with her wingspan, and the fact that she's an ancient dragon, I figure she deserves it.

and the cork will give her some extra height. 

It helps her look even bigger as compared to Blightfang!

More to come!
    • By Cygnwulf
      Everyone, meet Viridius.  

He's a hefty boi.  No Ma'al or Kalladrax, but still pretty big. He doesn't even fit in my light box, as you can see.   
      I've thought a long time about how I was going to paint him up, I don't think I'm going to go with the standard green dragon look.  Instead I'm going to take my inspiration from the time of year, and make him an autumn forest dragon, whose coloration changes with the forest around him.   So I'll be doing him in mostly golden yellows to oranges and reds, but keeping some greenish tones as the base of scales and other places, to kind of give a reminder of the verdent glory he was before.

One thing I'm choosing to see as an opportunity is that the tops of his wings are very smooth, ideal for some freehand work.  The question is, what to do?  Some kind of leaf like pattern, or perhaps a butterfly like eye pattern (in the leaf colors, of course)

Out of the box bag he was in pretty good shape.  The usual mold line cleanup, though he has some gaps that will need to be filled.  I followed up with reshaping the wings a little with some boiling water.  I forgot to get a complete before picture, but below you can see the before and after for the right wing

I've had to fully assemble him, I don't like the way the wing joins look without greenstuff, so that's going to be the first order of business.  So painting around the wings might be a chore, but it's nothing I haven't dealt with before (Although, not in recent history)

I begain the gapfill on the right side, but after sticking a finger in greenstuff twice and having to flip him back to touch up the texture, I decided to call it a night and do the left side gaps later.

• By Maledrakh
      Urutaa is a Maori word meaning "pestilence" and "plague" and "fever". It is also a sound that evokes "METAL!". So I will call the whole army Urutaa. Because they kill you FILTHY!
      I bought heavily into the new editon 40k and especially the Death Guard when they were released. At the same time I also bought some Daemons of Nurgle (Starting with the Blightwar set) as I always have been more partial to Nurgle than the other chaos gods and these would be a good fit both for the Death Guard and for my budding Maggotkin army for Age of Sigmar. Or so the self-justification for spending all that money on some rather expensive plastic went.
      And, as usual, I am getting round to them late. I begin with these Plaguebearers to establish the esthetic I would like to have across the army.

How I painted these:
      I started with a grey undercoat, and further undercoated by spray in an orangy leather brown from below and a sandy yellow brown from above. On top of this I painted assorted details in a lot of different colours, mostly purples and reds with a dash of green here and there. Light grey for the horns, dark brown for the claws. Pink for eyes. The weapons were basecoated in Scalecolour Caribbean Blue (a bright turquoise that is more or less the same as citadel nihilakh oxide) and drybrushed heavily with Vallejo Tinny Tin (a dark bronze like the old Citadel Tin Bitz).
      When I had had enough of dotting in bits and slopping on slashes of colour here and there I gave each mini including the weapons a heavy wash of Citadel Druuchi Violet Wash followed immediately when still wet with a moderate to heavy wash of just the head and upper body with Citadel Athonian Camoshade Wash (which is a greenish brown or a brownish green). This has the effect of clearing off much of the violet leaving the filthy green, and also mixing with the violet at the edges, creating a nice gradual colour transition effect.
      I take care to avoid the washes pooling by drawing off most of the pools with a damp brush.
      Also, the violet interacts with the sandy and orangy brown beneath, creating a rather splendig purple tone. It really is much more easy to do than it looks!
      When the washes are dry, I go over some of the details such as eyes and teeth, and add some more colour here and there.
      On the bases, I first glued down some black flock around the feet, and when dry I added a few appropriately dead-looking tufts and my normal flockmix. The effect is to illustrate how they pollute the ground they are walking on.
      I am pleased with the results, it is a slighly more labourious method than I did for my older plaguebearers sometime in the late 1990s (the balow have updated bases and three additional minis painted in the same style to make the legal unit size of 10:)

but is still quite quick and easy, and also looks much better.
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello all,
      another Shadowrun figure I just finished working on, a Tom Meier piece, Shadowrun Female Street Samurai with Gun.  There is also a male version of this gal that I'll be painting one of these days in the near future. With the rest of the Shadowrun figures I've done recently, I've done lots of vivid colors and makeup, but this lady looked a little more military-ish to me, so I kept her with a natural hair color, a white tank top and some military green shorts.  I just did a very single colored base that I might afterwards actually mount onto a plastic base, not sure about that.

It's kind of weird the glaring errors you don't notice until you get these hugely closeup photos, like the seam on her weapons side.  Oh well, when you look at her head one you don't really notice it I guess.  This hobby is just a continuous learning process!  So anyhow, hope you enjoy, even if you can see tons of imperfections!
    • By Morihalda
      Alternative Title:
      How Morihalda Achieved Maximum Distraction from 14 Other WIP Threads: A Story.

Chapter One
      6 November. My husband and I went on a date to the museum. We always have so much fun there and learn so many new things! I saw an absolutely gorgeous snake and thought, "Wow, that would be an excellent dragon pattern. OH WOW Ma'al could be five different reptile patterns!!" I'd been wanting to do a skeletal or blacklight theme for him for forever, but I decided those would be better suited on a smaller dragon.

I spent some time that night researching snakes, lizards (and the occasional amphibian), and habitats before settling on some patterns. I spent a few more hours cleaning up mold lines and convincing myself that I don't need to resculpt these perfect heads!

Red - Fire Skink
      Black - Lace Monitor
      Green - Green Iguana
      Blue - Blue Tree Monitor
      White - Blue tongue Skink
      Body - Fire Skink

This Boelen's Python didn't make the cut since I settled on lizards, but look at that good son! He's going to be my black dragon one day. 

The red fire skink will be inspiration for both the red head and body. It has so many amazing colors that will help bring all the faces together. I'm thinking the wings will be muted on the underside to match the black and white heads and more fire skink on the top. This means the black and white heads need to be the middle level heads - there's a beautiful curve from them leading to each wing.

My tentative color blocking. Good enough for an art gallery, yeah? ;)

Chapter Two
      7 November. I spent over three hours this afternoon pinning, gluing, and green stuffing specific sections. The wing gaps and one of the legs are pretty rough, but the head scales perfectly cover the neck scales! Almost like it was planned.  

Chapter Three
      8 November. I am still prepping. There is still barely enough done to warrant a forum post. All I have to show you are stabby holes in my hands (yes I will be using a holder/lazy Susan when painting, but I need all the angles while sculpting). Either I got one that was a little uneven or I'm just way more picky than some folks, but I have had a ton of gap filling to do for the legs.

How did some of you do this in 7 days?! Someone send me rations and supplies to survive!  

• Who's Online   27 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)