Mirya

Folkart color shift paint

7 posts in this topic

Hi y'all, I've been lurking for some time (and learning so much from all you amazeballs painters!), but this is my first time to post. I've encountered a (new to me) product I think has a lot of potential. Folkart has a line of color shift paints - I think it's basically an interference paint? (although I don't have a lot to compare to in that arena, so that may not be the correct term at all). It comes in 2oz bottles, and a larger, maybe 3 or 4 oz bottle. The 2 oz is 3.99 at Michaels. I've played with it a little on a primed, smooth ceramic tile just to get an idea of how the various colors look and it definitely has some interesting effects. It's on the translucent side, so whatever you undercoat with has a big effect on the final product. I'm looking forward to my next batch of minis to arrive so I can try them out properly. Dragons, yay!

Anyhoo, this may be old news to some/most of y'all, but I just discovered this product, & totally geeked out & had to share! :-D

5 people like this

Would love to see some photos of the paints "in action" so to speak.

1 person likes this

Sounds cool!  Did you get it in a regular craft store with the other Folk Art paints, or is some sort of specialty product?

And as Pochi says, some pics would be great.

Also, congrats on your first post on the forums! ::):

1 person likes this

@Chris Palmer You should be able to get them at most Michaels where they will be next to the other Folk art acrylics. I think Folk art rolled these about some time around the start to mid summer. Probably other hobby stores might have them as well but I'm just more familiar with Michaels inventory. 

I'm also interested In seeing how they work as they might make good paints for dragons scales and the like or maybe use it for like a prismatic spray effect.

1 person likes this

Hi Ducknuck and Mirya! ::): 

I have some nail polish that is similar: it's gray and shifts between green and purple. With a black undercoat it shimmered more purple, and with a white undercoat it shimmered more green. 

These sound awesome, I'd love to try them with dragons too. I do have a few to do.....

2 people like this

Little squareish bottle by chance? Sounds like a bottle I have too. Color dependent on lighting from my experience. 

I too am curious about this iridescent paint.

1 person likes this

This might be super cool on some dragon wings!  Please post some pictures when you got'em.

Welcome to the forums!  Lots of nice people and some tremendous artists around here!  If you need help ask questions, there is always someone willing to help out.

1 person likes this