Eyegazer

Green Stuff Paranoia

Hey all,

I have a history with health anxiety and am looking for some relief here. I was working with green stuff some hours ago (the thing I was working on has, mostly, cured, by now, and 15 minutes ago was when I grabbed the almonds),

and I can't remember washing my hands since then, which has left me wondering if depositing a bunch of almonds into my hand and chewing them all up (I realized it in time and ended up

spitting most of them out), not knowing whether I had washed my hands prior to that or not. There might've been tiny bits of green stuff left on my fingers, cured or not, of microscopic size or larger,
but I need some relief (and also some advice for future use) and would like to know if green stuff could ever possibly be toxic that way. Somebody told me it's very toxic when non-cured, and this was partially cured

and may or may not have been on my fingers. Any word on this and any confirmation on when it's toxic and when it isn't? One post I've read said it only wasn't toxic immediately, but (or so it seemed to be implied) eventually, which worried me and got the health anxiety thing kicking. Any help and advice would be great...

Thanks in advance.

Eyegazer

Edited by Eyegazer
  • Like 1

To be honest, I'm not sure.

There are people who say it is toxic and there are people who say it isn't.

You might want to take a look at the chemical ingredients and look for those.

However, what you described, you will either have ingested nothing or very very little.

I doubt this will harm you.

Just don't make a habit out of it.

In theory..everything is toxic, even water, depending on the dosage.

From your story I doubt you will experience any trouble.

• Like 1

I found these links on Google:

Health-Question about green stuff (Dakkadakka forums) Site is blocked at work so I can't verify.

And from CMON: Epoxy putty vs. health risks.

Thinking back at the amount of sculptors that lick their sculpting tools, if there was a health risk, we might've heard about it by now.

As a bonus: Kneadatite Blue/Yellow MSDS link.

What I'm finding from a quick review is that inhalation of green stuff dust is the worse case scenario. Anything else (like ingestion) is not known to be a significant health hazard.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

Here's the actual safety data sheet:

http://www.aplusbputty.com/PDF/MSDS 9900A.pdf

For your specific question, it is listed as "harmful if swallowed". Your exposure would have been quite minor in the scenario you described, but you don't want to eat it (ever) or eat food before washing your hands in the future.

I'm not a doctor, so I won't comment on whether you should worry, but I will say that I wouldn't worry much in your situation. If you're still concerned, you should talk to a health professional.

• Like 3

I have OCD (the real thing, not what the internet usually makes fun of*) and health and safety is one of my big triggers.  It is best not to eat when sculpting and I also wash thoroughly after sculpting (quite often more than necessary <_<).  That said, you are highly unlikely to get any dose high enough to hurt you from one instance of eating a small amount of residue.  Typically, if you couldn't notice or see the residue on your fingers, it was not enough to harm you.  That said, in the future, wash with warm-soapy water after mixing epoxies.  GS is quite safe unless consumed regularly.  Julie Guthrie has been sculpting with it for 40 years without gloves and is doing fine. I've been sculpting daily now for 7 years and have no issues.

* The internet jokes about obsessive ordering and such are quite offensive to people who deal with the hell of real OCD, just saying.

• Like 6

In the concentrations you're talking about having ingested there's no chance, besides allergic reaction, of negative effects.  While it's a good idea not do straight up eat uncured greenstuff, the trace amounts transferable from fingertips to almonds is non-toxic.  If you constantly stick your sculpting tools in your mouth while working, and you work 8 hours a day for years, there may be reason to be concerned (beyond bad habits).  Hope that helps.

Source:  20 years working between carpentry (was common to put galvanized nails in the mouth...  which CAN lead to heavy metal poisoning) and with chemicals in the biology lab.

• Like 3

Thank you, everyone who responded, that should help. I'll try not to worry about it and keep things in mind, henceforth.

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I have OCD (the real thing, not what the internet usually makes fun of*) and health and safety is one of my big triggers.  It is best not to eat when sculpting and I also wash thoroughly after sculpting (quite often more than necessary <_<).  That said, you are highly unlikely to get any dose high enough to hurt you from one instance of eating a small amount of residue.  Typically, if you couldn't notice or see the residue on your fingers, it was not enough to harm you.  That said, in the future, wash with warm-soapy water after mixing epoxies.  GS is quite safe unless consumed regularly.  Julie Guthrie has been sculpting with it for 40 years without gloves and is doing fine. I've been sculpting daily now for 7 years and have no issues.

* The internet jokes about obsessive ordering and such are quite offensive to people who deal with the hell of real OCD, just saying.

Certainly understandable. It's self-diagnosed OCD for me (complete with compulsive/intrusive thoughts and mild rituals), although a semi-therapist at least mostly confirmed my suspicions about health anxiety (and other anxieties). So I definitely wouldn't be one to joke about it, and sometimes I'm looking for solutions or ways to improve the situation for hours a day. It is tough, and health anxiety is a part of it for me, too. Do you, by any chance, have any advice for others who struggle with OCD, now that we are speaking of it?

Edited by Eyegazer
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Eyegazer said:

Thank you, everyone who responded, that should help. I'll try not to worry about it and keep things in mind, henceforth.

Certainly understandable. It's self-diagnosed OCD for me (complete with compulsive/intrusive thoughts and mild rituals), although a semi-therapist at least mostly confirmed my suspicions about health anxiety (and other anxieties). So I definitely wouldn't be one to joke about it, and sometimes I'm looking for solutions or ways to improve the situation for hours a day. It is tough, and health anxiety is a part of it for me, too. Do you, by any chance, have any advice for others who struggle with OCD, now that we are speaking of it?

You may simply be obsessive and compulsive.  For it to be a disorder it generally needs to be debilitating to some degree.  We all worry--sometimes a lot and often irrationally.  My advice (whistling in the dark here) is that if you're truly concerned, that you should talk to a professional in the field.  They'll be able to offer coping strategies (as many ADD/ADHD and spectrumites have learned to do) or further help if you need it.  Plus, being able to talk about it and get another perspective can only help.  Good luck!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eyegazer said:

Oh man, I wasn't trying to call you out at all.  I was trying to establish sympatico with you so you wouldn't think I was.  That totally back fired on me, sorry.

@talespinner   He is not indicating any kind of "calling out" in his responses but looking for some helpful hint that you may have to allow him to manage his issues.  Basically just like the forum is for painting he is asking for friendly advice as you have indicated your own management of OCD.

Edited by robinh
  • Like 1

A lot of people have some sort of obsessive compulsion(I can't go past my mailbox at home without looking, even on a sunday. And they don't deliver on saturday, either... ).

For me it's no big deal. (Besides the disappointment when it's empty)

If I started getting up in the middle of the night to check the mailbox, though...

The media stereotype of the sad tosser who lines up his pencils, places the eraser exactly 1" from the top of the paper and so on...  

Is pretty much just that; a stereotype you're very unlikely to ever find.

(Or he has other issues also. Aspbergers syndrome for example)

As for the issue in hand here... 

1. Never have any thing edible near your hobby table unless it has some sort of 'handle'.

(No, that was not an endorsement for lollipops... or was it?)  

In England, miners had the 'Cornish Pasty'(from cornwall), which is meats and stuff in a half-circle pastry dough. The held onto the folded-up edge while eating, and tossed that part of the crust away afterwards. Kind of useful if you had arsenic distt on your hands...

(Google tells me they're also found in Michigan)

2. Make it into a habit to ALWAYS wash your hands when leaving the hobby table. Go straight to the sink and wash, even if you only sat there admiring the minis. Remember, there may be dust on the table from working on metal or Resin minis, and you don't particularly want either of them inside you.  

• Like 3

pftt

worry when you use the cheap plumber epoxy that smell  like a mix of drainage/ammonia

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Goblyn said:

pftt

worry when you use the cheap plumber epoxy that smell  like a mix of drainage/ammonia

Don't use the cheap plumber epoxy that smell  like a mix of drainage/ammonia; just no...

• Like 3