Manateedream

Southern Belle miniatures

WHY is it so hard to find good civil war era southern belle style figures? I have been looking forever for something like this: 

blog1.jpg.12fe203d72d24093b059adc8b62acbe9.jpg

That big hoop skirt style dress. There has been only ONE actual figure that I've found that even closely resembles this style, and I have two of them: 

7539_f1_p_Marike.jpg.691676368e3f54ac3a81a1e17dddbeeb.jpg

Which works...but...it's boring having the same figure with different paint styles. Has anyone seen anything like these available anywhere?

• Like 5

One of the very first things I did when I joined this forum ... five? ... years ago was try to lobby for women in giant-skirted historical dresses.

A Queen Elizabeth I or Empress Eugénie or something ... anything.

Reaper's sculptors have since produced some nice steampunk ladies in frilly fancy skirts and a few late Victorian ladies in long but not voluminous skirts.

But yeah, those are tough to find.

• Like 4

Wargames Foundry, which are a little small and made of lead (!) seems to have a set DA018 - Roses of the Empire which are late Victorian and kitted out for African exploration. :/

• Like 1

Perry Miniatures has a set CAT16 Female civilians from the "Carlist War" (whatever that is) that look like Italian peasants from about the right time period.

• Like 1

I have the cinderella figure and it's alright....nothing is quite like what I'm looking for. 

7 minutes ago, Pingo said:

One of the very first things I did when I joined this forum ... five? ... years ago was try to lobby for women in giant-skirted historical dresses.

A Queen Elizabeth I or Empress Eugénie or something ... anything.

Reaper's sculptors have since produced some nice steampunk ladies in frilly fancy skirts and a few late Victorian ladies in long but not voluminous skirts.

But yeah, those are tough to find.

I would love to see those figures, we should lobby together for sculpts of that type. 

I did buy the fairy figure with a fairly large dress and just didn't install her wings, that turned out pretty nice although it's the wrong style. It's hard fitting a figure to a specific character.

• Like 1

Aha!  Old Clory has a set

Product ID: WBS-74

Civilians

Which is 25 mm scale (so a little small) and, like above, LEAD (!), but includes some women of exactly the correct type.

4 minutes ago, Manateedream said:

I have the cinderella figure and it's alright....nothing is quite like what I'm looking for. 

I would love to see those figures, we should lobby together for sculpts of that type. 

I did buy the fairy figure with a fairly large dress and just didn't install her wings, that turned out pretty nice although it's the wrong style. It's hard fitting a figure to a specific character.

One of them is this one:

Edited by Pingo
spacing in merged posts
  • Like 1

Those are exactly right....but too small! I use Reaper (much closer to the 25mm) and Dark Sword (true 28mm.) I think I will buy them anyway and enjoy painting them up, more as a good representation of what I'm looking for!

Well I ordered the Old Glory set...maybe someday we will get bigger scales of them to paint!

• Like 2

There are two that come close.

The first is from anima tactics. Though some modding would be needed as it come with a very large gun. The range is OOP but you can probably find it on ebay. The Name of the model is Cordelia.

The second is not quite as fitting but again close. Its the Governor's daughter from Black Scorpion miniatures.

The 3rd one is from Malifaux's  "Smoke and Mirrors"

FFGCS2011.gif

PIR_PIR15_1.jpg

33c51cc65ce8d0856b59e5e7fb309bf1_1024x1024.jpg

Edited by Smokestack
  • Like 3

That Cordelia one is really good! I could probably manage to green stuff the gun on the dress into a basic purse or something....I'm going to look for it now!

Edit: Lame...only one Cordelia figure on ebay and it's already painted. I think I'm going to need to get it unpainted because then I can modify it easily, it would be too hard to try and break off the glued rifle from the dress in a glued model. Gah!

Well if anyone has an unopened one they want to sell me, let me know!

Edited by Manateedream
  • Like 1

Western figure ranges often have pretty good Victorian figures:

Blue Moon's Tombstone Civilians (28-30mm or so) and there are other interesting figures in the Swashbucklers, Rogues, and Desperadoes line.

Old Glory's "Warpaint - American Old West" line (and the Civilians in their American Civil War line). Also 28mm or so.

Foundry's Victorian/Edwardian Civilians are quite nice and quite varied (in addition to some of the more martial figures in their Old West and Darkest Africa lines). They do run a bit smaller than the Blue Moon figures.

Most of those will, as Pingo noted, be lead-based white metal, so don't eat them.

• Like 1

Thought I'd give a quick in progress update. I ordered a Cordelia from a site and haven't received it yet...sigh....but I did get the civil war minis, and they are actually very pretty. Here is a very rough in progress shot. Note that I am using them in DnD, so the colors are not historically accurate.

I also thought the one holding a parasol looked like a wand, so snipped it down and it looks like what I want.

52722726189__CBBDF486-238C-4D21-BA49-9CE8C3929B9D.thumb.JPG.60ea0e3987121549003d030481699e1f.JPG

IMG_0050.thumb.JPG.877e1dfba3749fee7156ca156da0e9bb.JPG

they are are very nice for the price! I have a ton of civil war soldiers now too, lol.

• Like 11