jonaas33

Ogre Chieftain 77005

7 posts in this topic

This is an ogre that I painted last weekend. He's leaning forward a little more than I wanted, but I think I will eventually reposition him on a new base.  I've seen a few spots on the forums on base building, but I don't really know where to begin.  If anyone has any tips on the basics, I'd love to hear them. And as always, I appreciate any advice/critiques on the painting!  Thanks!

20170907_185931.jpg

20170907_185941.jpg

20170907_185959.jpg

20170907_190006.jpg

20170907_193447.jpg

15 people like this

Very Nice! Really like how you did the bandage wraps and the fur. Also did a really good job on the face. 

Only thing I can think of is adding some highlights to the club as its really hard to pick out the face on it, also you could add some highlights the items on his belt and the blue loin cloth to give it a little more pop as they really blend in right now with the tan skin of the ogre.

1 person likes this

Good job!

A little more highlights would enhance him even more!

Glue him to a base, maybe a little putty to build it up so the broccoli blends into the surroundings.

Then flock.

Keep 'em coming!

1 person likes this

nice job

1 person likes this

Thanks for the advice! Can I add highlights even after I put a sealer on, or will the paint not stick as well?

Where would be a good place to get "broccoli" and all of the other cool stuff I see on bases? Do local game stores usually have It? Or craft stores? Or is it something that you guys make on your own?

12 minutes ago, jonaas33 said:

Thanks for the advice! Can I add highlights even after I put a sealer on, or will the paint not stick as well?

Where would be a good place to get "broccoli" and all of the other cool stuff I see on bases? Do local game stores usually have It? Or craft stores? Or is it something that you guys make on your own?

The "broccoli" is the rough semi ground looking piece that the figure is standing on.  Since it is not well defined and doesn't really look like anything it is called "broccoli".  Some people will cut the figure off of the broccoli and rebase completely while others will keep it attached and just try to blend it in with some scenic materials.

As far as finding these materials, you'll just have to look around.  Only one of my FLGS carries descent basing material but they charge a lot for it.  The Hobby Lobby here has a descent amount of stuff for model train scenics and while the scale doesn't work for everything I have been able to get some descent stuff from there (especially with the 40% off coupon).  I would also suggest eBay or Green Stuff World (they have their own site but also sell on eBay too). 

1 person likes this

Ah, that broccoli bit makes sense now, thank you.  I'll check at my LGS for some of the larger bases and then Hobby Lobby this week to look for some grass or dirt effects.  

1 person likes this