Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clearman

Shading Pink

8 posts in this topic

Since I know not to highlight red with white because it turns pink, but I'm wondering if the reverse is true.  Is shading pink any different than other colors, or should I mix in a dark red? 

1 person likes this

I'd go for a low saturation dark purple instead of red for shading pink. Then pink + white for highlights. 

6 people like this

Yes, good idea.  I'm always forgetting purple. 

Thank you for the suggestion. 

2 people like this

Depending on your purple, which as my paint horde illustrates can cover quite a lot of territory, it might be an idea to add a little red to it.  If it's a purple more to the blue side then adding it to pink may look a bit pastel.  That's fine if that's what you want, but if you're looking for vibrancy a bit of red mixed in can help.  

These variations have actual technical color names, but all my paints are colorful variations on purple.  Imperial Purple, Nightshade Purple, Warlock Purple, Lich Purple, Dragon Tongue Purple... and so on endlessly.  So basically you may have to experiment some and remember that if the purple you use looks weird then red is your friend.  

3 people like this

When in doubt check out the masters. Botticelli clearly used a sort of deep mauve in the shadows of Venus' pink robe in this fresco, along with some more golden pinks in the highlights.

3 people like this

I'm not he best painter or artist around here.

Just throwing in how I did it..

Pink robes, shadow was a purple shade leaning to pink.

I believe it was GW Warlock Purple if I'm not mistaken.

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/60449-02967-alastriel-elf-sorceress-by-glitterwolf/&/topic/60449-02967-alastriel-elf-sorceress/?hl=alastriel

2 people like this

Oh, well, if we're including our own solutions, here are a few of mine:

This is a République Khaliman figure from Alkemy.  I painted his sirwal pink by basing it in a brick red, then deliberately highlighting with pink (the effect dreaded by those trying to highlight reds) and shading with some transparent violet.

DSC_0191.jpg.7345573666f964de41dec7e30689c2aa.jpg

DSC_0196.jpg.ffe30cc37e645a50d0911e3820bdacb6.jpg

This is a Wild in the Streets Murder Cult Girl from Slow Death Games (disarmed for more nonviolent gameplay).  I painted her hair bright hot pink, reserving the purest color for the shadows and then mixing it with some blue-purple to make darker, harmonizing shadows.

DSC_0989-face.jpg.fb503bfa74282b9e5bd6e17e3a800188.jpg

DSC_0986.jpg.c56c96d3454cbf499d29503698799547.jpg

This is a very small (based on a penny!) Tom Meier elf from Thunderbolt Mountain.  She is painted in almost watercolor-like layers of transparent color, starting with a thin wash of golden brown and going up through various shades of rose and violet, highlighted with paler mixes of the base colors.

post-8022-0-36694900-1452964812.jpg

4 people like this

My color choices will be HD Monster Maw as the base, and Imperial Purple for the shading.  I'm hoping to be able to put down the base coast a shadows tonight   Stay tuned. 

2 people like this