Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I've had these pics on my camera for a few days, and keep forgetting to upload them... Keep getting distracted by other projects, but nothing wrong with that I say... ^_^;;;;; These photos were taken using my previous way of doing things, and I definitely prefer the "newer" way even if it means a bit more work up front, but there's less editing, and my kit lens is a LOT easier to work with for such up close pictures. Kind of can't wait to get that Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro that's on my wishlist, but right now it's a debate between miniature supplies and camera gear, and the camera gear isn't currently on sale, plus we really could use a wider selection of paints in the house, so.....
Ingrid was definitely an.... Interesting challenge to paint, to say the least. She has a great deal of smaller details to her, aaaaaand she's pint shot glass sized, which adds to things. Interestingly enough, the biggest issue I kept running into was with her gloves, boots, and especially belt. Cloak also gave some issues, even having me somewhat frustrated at first that my initial shadow layer looked a LOT like vertical red and black stripes, I kept it as it was, and added additional layers on, which seems to have partially corrected itself, but looking at the photos, at the right angles it... Still kind of shows that way. Oh well, we learn as we go, right?
This was also the first mini that I attempted something resembling eyes, and I did my best to have it look like she was looking right at the gem itself. It took a few tries, but I managed to get some sort of hazel-brown eye going, although with just the one colour hazel eyes have (not the brown-green mix).
So been painting a bit, got a few things done but mostly stuff that's not quite as important and stuff I feel I have a decent grasp on so I haven't posted anything. Also had a weekend at @TaleSpinner and he showed me some stuff, which was quite helpful.
The guy I did the Minotaur for has a figurine of wondrous power and we picked up a gryphon for it on the way to the game. I've been working on it a bit the last week or so. I'm pretty happy with it more or less, but I'm not sure what else to do with the wings.
I'm basing it on a Golden Eagle, which is mostly brown but the wings have this flash of white on them.
The pics below are from a still in progress work. The lion part I'm quite happy with, the head I'm pretty happy with. The wings.. I'm going to do some more glazes of tan to darken them. Then I think I may try some light grey as a dark line. I've used brown liner on the head and the dark part of the wings. But I may need to do that a bit more yet.
So if anyone has any suggestions for things I could/should do I'd be happy to hear them.
Starting a new WIP for a mini I'm working on for one of the players in my D&D 5e campaign.
One of her characters is a Tiefling Eldritch Knight, so I have selected the glaive-weilding S'Kara to be the starting point for this project...
As you can see, I have just begun. I have primed the mini, and used a pair of pliers to slightly curve her horns, to achieve a more ram-like, less devil-like look.
I'm currently in the process of selecting colours for the cloth portion of her outfit. Any suggestions or ideas? (Fyi, she will have dark brown hair and olive skin).
As always, comments and constructive feedback are always welcome!
Been working steadily on Anirion from the Layer up! LTPK over the past few days, and I can say with certainty I like how the two learn to paint kits approach things very differently. I'm also rather liking how things come out with layering techniques...
Can't think of much else to add here for text other than I really REALLY need to get a proper lighting setup going to take pictures with >.>;;;;;;
Couldn't resist the silly-ish title - it was originally going to be "Novice Painter, versus LTPK:Core!" but I changed it a touch at the end.. Bonus points if you read that as the Innkeeper from Hearthstone. :P
While I have painted miniatures in the past, I've first and foremost never shown such results to anyone, and secondly went in blindly with those ones, and while I was happy with them at the time, I wanted to improve. Other things in life took over for a while, and then finally I said that's it, I'm either going to FINALLY paint my primered army of doom that was at Doom In June 2005 or I'm going to sell the minis I've had sitting in boxes for over a decade. So glad I found out about the Learn to Paint Kits, because that pretty much solidified that decision right then and there :P
Anyways! At some point we were all at this stage, and while looking over the pictures I can see a number of things I can improve on (*cough* like my up close photography skills *cough*), but for most things... I'm happy with them. Especially the chain mail on the Orc Marauder. I just might have to retake some of these photos, because I realize looking at them that, uhm, first and foremost f1.7 blurs half the model, and secondly, I didn't get a shot of the backside of the Marauder's Shield, which I was also happy about. Oops.
But before I ramble on for three pages......!
Drybrushing feels sooooo weird, but it was starting to click once I got to Magnu, even if I wound up overdoing it in a few areas and it so wasn't a dry effect anymore. But that's life, we learn from our actions!
Who's Online 15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)