57 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Can anyone tell me how shadows/highlights fall on skin? I guessed on my gnome, but I'm just not sure. 

It is possible you just asked the single most complex question in the history of painting the human figure.

But if you mean just in immediately practical terms, I would look at the figure under a strong overhead light and put the shadows where it appears dark and the highlights where the light hits it.

• Like 8

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Silvervane
      With the arrival of Zombicide Green Horde, I realized that I had yet to paint up any of the necromancers for the game.  So I decided to start a new thread for these guys.
      I decided that instead of starting with the one that came with the core set, I would paint up another one called Grin.  I had planned on just painting up a base coat today as I waited on the primer of another figure.  Then I just kept going.  Now the art for the figure has him with a very dark overall feel.  The figure's backstory has it that he's half zombie from a failed ritual.  So I Went with the zombie skin I had with the rest of the zombies.  I then added in a warm brown to try to give him a little more life than a regular zombie.  Looking at the image I think I need something else.
      Well here is the results of today's painting:

• By Schirf
      Ok, here is my first NMM paint job. I'm not sure if I dislike the technique, or just picked a bad mini to try it on first. I found it a bit fiddly and frustrating with all of the dully cast spikey bits. I did a pretty quick TT quality job on everything not NMM, so I know there are a lot of places to improve there. 
      Also, I feel like the photos make it look better than it really is. I'm pretty happy with how the front of the armor turned out, but the shield and shoulder pauldrons were frustrating.

Would truly appreciate any feedback on improving the quality of my NMM!
      I'll be doing Mangu next and tracking in the same WIP thread.
      Wip thread here:
    • By Sophie was taken
      The third and final mini from the Layer Up! LTPK, Julie Guthrie’s Hajad the Pirate:

Not gonna try for any better images, because then you would see how badly I messed up the eyes...
      Mostly by the book, but I skipped the lining as my little brush was becoming temperamental. Of the three minis in this kit, this is the one I was most looking forward to, as it has the most exposed skin of the three (one of my problem areas). Think I oversold the abs a bit too much though.
      Based on issues with the previous minis, I elected to basecoat both weapon blades with Ebony Flesh before applying the metallic. The Filigree Silver included in the kit was too watery to play nice with bare Bonesium, and in any case it was difficult for me to see where the paint actually stuck. Plus, it makes lighter metallics pop.
      It was nice to see darker flesh tones included in this kit. The darkest (non-dark elf) skin tone I had available before was Tanned Skin, but my attempts to mix in darker paints always resulted in a weird shade of sadness.
      All in all, this kit was a good learning experience. The instructions were clear and easy to follow, and it was neat seeing the colors build up with each layer. The cartoons were cute too. I just hope that my technique improves moving forward. And that painting eyes gets easier.
    • By Schirf
      Ok so I had picked up both LTPKs with the intent of hopefully learning some new stuff. Now not that they aren't great resources for new painters, but I had already read most of what was presented in them through a variety of sources on here and through other blogs. So I sat on them. Then I decided they offered a good opportunity to try a few other techniques and decided to give it a shot. So in the basic kit, I'm going to try my hand at some NMM. We'll see how it goes. The Layer up kit I plan to use for OSL. Anyways... onto the painting.
      77042 - Orc Marauder
      I started with  the Orc Marauder thinking he'd be a little easier. Probably should have started with Mangu. I went ahead an documented all of my steps, in case anyone is interested in the parts before NMM. I tried to stick with the paints in the kit for the most part, but decided that once I get to the NMM I'm going to use 1 or 2 colors not included. Pics in the spoiler tag.
    • By Xiwo Xerase
      I picked out 14352 Unforgiven, Crusader Grunt to practice the lessons in Bones LTPK #1.  I'm aiming for "tabletop" quality with this paint job.
      Here's the miniature with most of the basecoating done:

The colors in use are:
      09050 Antique Gold for the gold accents 09052 Shadowed Steel for the armor 09053 Honed Steel for the sword 09056 Templar Blue for the edge of the tabard, the sword hilt, and the edge of the tabard (or whatever that is) 09064 Brown Liner for lining between the blue and yellow on the tabard 09074 Palomino Gold for the tabard and the undercoat for the gold accents 09110 Oiled Leather for the belt 29843 HD Solid Black for the black  
      The white patches on the tabard are 09108 Brush-on White Primer because I scraped off the paint there.  (I got some basing material stuck there, decided I'd paint over it, and then decided to scrape it off and make it look better.)
      My next tasks are to repaint the reprimed parts of the tabard after the primer cures and fix any painting errors before moving on to the wash portion of the exercise.  (Any shadows you see in the pictures are probably a result of the lighting rather than any painted effects.)
      After I'm done with this, I suppose I should paint Sir Forscale.
  • Who's Online   48 Members, 3 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)