Paradoxical Mouse

Layer Up

52 posts in this topic

I thought there was a little too much brown wash in the creases. It looks much better.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I thought there was a little too much brown wash in the creases. It looks much better.

Yeah. I feel like the shadow layers for the pants were a bit thick, especially with how much the ebony skin over powers the blue.

1 person likes this

38 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Yeah. I feel like the shadow layers for the pants were a bit thick, especially with how much the ebony skin over powers the blue.

But that's good! The LTPK kits are all about learning things as you apply the paint.::):

5 people like this

Mr doxical from experience painting blues can be a real pain I actually went on a paint blue binge over several minis just to get down and what your posting looks great.  Keep it up mate

1 person likes this

I didn't take a picture, due to my phone being dead last night, but I finished the base coat on the sash yesterday, as well. I was a bit confounded as to where shadows would fall on it, though...so I got frustrated with shadow layer one and stopped for the night. 

5 hours ago, Limey72 said:

Mr doxical from experience painting blues can be a real pain I actually went on a paint blue binge over several minis just to get down and what your posting looks great.  Keep it up mate

Actually, it's Ms. I might end up trying that. Thanks!

2 people like this

I stand corrected Ms Mouse ;).  Is your unsure where shadows fall take your phone and take a Black and white picture white an appropriately positioned light source the shadows will show up and you will have a guide to work from.

3 people like this

9 minutes ago, Limey72 said:

I stand corrected Ms Mouse ;).  Is your unsure where shadows fall take your phone and take a Black and white picture white an appropriately positioned light source the shadows will show up and you will have a guide to work from.

Oooh. That's a good idea. I'll try it tonight. :) 

2 people like this

Some progress. It's been a bit since I last painted, so I brought my paints with me. Sorry about the light, working with travel kit.

15055818569991246196434.jpg

4 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By vegascat
      I decided that since there's no time limit,  that I'd give this fun challenge a go.  I didn't notice the screenshot requirement until it was too late.   I originally rolled:

10 - Imperial Purple
      19 - Pure Black
      19 - Pure Black

Thankfully doubles get resolved and the second 19 - Pure Black, became:

11 - violet red

Which I didn't have,  but the handy comparison chart allows me to use

Vallejo Game Color 14 - Warlord Purple,

which looks very close to the Reaper color.   I looked at the P3 Beaten purple,  but it's a dark purple,  not a reddish purple.  

Here's the paint dots next to their respective colors:

I did not roll a dragon because I need to look and see what I have in my box o' Bones.  That will have to wait until tomorrow as I'm working on homework.... Err, supposed to be anyways.   

*edit* I forgot to add that I'm going to attempt the three star challenge.  Thankfully, I think the warlord purple will allow me to highlight the imperial purple quite nicely.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with the pure black yet.
    • By Paradoxical Mouse
      So, Ebonwrath is the first dragon I'll be painting. Lucky for me, I actually had good dice rolls. 

Orange Brown, Lava Orange, and Violet Red. I had to order the paints. To practice with my colors mixing (and since I got a nice set) I'm going to be trying the 3*** star challenge.

This challenge is now awaiting the arrival of my paints and dragon.
    • By Corporea
      Why oh why did I read that forum entry?  Sigh.  I don't really have the time because I want to finish stuff for reapercon but I thought to myself... what's the harm in rolling and just seeing what colors I get.  I can always procrastinate and never get it done like everything else... double sigh. kyphrixis needs some love.  he's languishing in my box of bones.

So... that corresponds to: 6, 1, 10....

Crap.  Do you see the ginormous amount of chroma saturation in these colors?  The sheer magnitude of intensity here staggers the Corporea mind.  I mean... it's like taking the bestest of brightest shades and trying to make them work.  I can't help it... it makes me want to make it work.  To prove once again that you can use read and green together and not make it look like Christmas.  To take three saturated colors and make them work together breaks all the nice little Corporea Color Theory Rules of Engagement!  It says right here in my little handy-dandy power point that the only way to not make the viewer's eyes go all crossy is to at the very least use a complement with less intensity. I just can't take colors of the same value and use them and make them work.  I can't...

But I can't help myself... if I can make these insane colors work... I can become the COLOR THEORY MASTER!!!!

Plus, unless it's truly cheating... I knows some sneaky sneaky ways to manipulate colors.  So... can I mix to my heart's content as long as I just use these plus black and white? Cause that will let me shows these colors who's boss! Best way to take the mickey out of a color is to knock it down with its complement!

just cause I can't help but do my usual explaining... here's what I'm talking about with my crappy photoediting from the computer cause I'm lazy:

this is an image where I've removed the color saturation and just given us a grayscale.  see how similar those colors look? that is because they all have the same value.  value is something we don't always see when we first look at colors except to scratch our heads and know something is not quite right.  These colors lack value contrast. I often use this example:

see how the red and blue look similar but the gold and blue different when I take away their sneaky hues? When I put colors together I want colors with differing range on the scale of black to white- that's value

here's the pic from wikipedia.  does that make sense?  They've taken color and mixed in black and white in varying degrees to make a color paler or darker... sort of. Which means, if you're willing to work with pure shades and black and white... you can make anything! Problem is most paint has filler and additives that muddy the range and do unexpected things when you mix.

So... when I get three impossible colors... I must conquer them!!!!
      sigh.  And here I was actually hoping to get that diorama done...

• By Paradoxical Mouse
      I'm really bad at fur and texture, so I'm doing a WIP for the dire bear for advise. Will post updated pictures at each step. Comments and suggestions appreciated. Thankfully, I don't see any mould lines on him, so I'll start without any pre modification.

• By SamuraiJack
      Got my base coats on and a top glaze on the back..

• Who's Online   11 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)