The Seers and a Wizard Present a Random Rainbow Dragon Challenge!

Congratulations, by opening this forum post, you have received a quest!

This quest is a challenge created by the combined forces of @Sirithiliel the Queen Tiamacrab, a Wizard Most Wild @Pezler the Polychromatic, and myself – @Cyradis the Questgiver.

The challenge is this! Paint a small dragon, letting the dice control the colors!

The Rules:

• Post in the WIP Forums “_Your Pseudonym_ is taking the random rainbow dragon challenge!” or “_Your Pseudonym_ has accepted the d20 rainbow dragon quest!” something to that extent.

Select a figure from one of the following: Stormwing (from Bones III), Kryphrixis (from Bones III), Deathsleet (77110), or Ebonwrath (77102).

You must select the dragon BEFORE rolling for colors. Take a photo with the figure and a clock as proof of order of operations.

• Roll for colors! Use a d20 and a photo, or an online dice roller with a screenshot as proof of rolling. Or have a fellow forum dweller vouch for your rolls. Use the Color Chart below to determine what the color is that you rolled. There are three rolls. Below is an online dice roller. Most keyboards have a PRT SCRN button that can take a screenshot for you. Then you can paste the photo into Paint to save. I'm sure there are better methods, but that works for me. 

The first roll determines what your primary base color is. That must be the dominant color on the figure.

The second roll determines your secondary color. It should be the second color that catches the eye, and second most prevalent color on the figure.

The third roll determines your miscellaneous color. This should be most of the accent colors that you use, and third most prevalent color on the figure.

You might need to order paint or go to the FLGS after rolling if you don’t have a given bottle – we’ll be patient and wait for you. If you can’t get a bottle of one of these colors, here is a spreadsheet with equivalent colors from different brands. If you really can't get them, use the closest thing you got to your rolls (let us know what they are please). 

Reaper #

Color Name

Color Description

Fire Red

Bright red

Clotted Red

Dull red

Lava Orange

Volcanic orange

Orange Brown

Dull orange

Lemon Yellow

Bright yellow

Brilliant green

Bright green

Olive Green

Olive dull green

True Blue

Bright blue

Heather Blue

Dull light blue

Imperial Purple

Deep purple

Violet Red

A very misnamed color; somewhere between burgundy and magenta. Not violet.

Blush Pink

Very pink

Earth Brown

Generic brown

Terran Khaki

Light brown

Mint Green

Bright pastel green

Cloudy Grey

Generic grey

Marine Teal

Teal, blueish

Palomino Gold

Earthy gold yellow

Pure Black

Super black. Critical threat!

Pure White

Super white. Critical threat!

• You are allowed to use whatever colors to shade and highlight that you want, as long as the rolled colors are obvious visually.* Example: you can shade a red dragon with purple, brown, or black, but it must always appear as a red dragon. A white dragon shaded with grey must appear as a white dragon, not a grey dragon. 

• You are allowed to use colors outside the ones that you rolled, but they must not take up more visual surface area than any of the others.** Example: your pink, green, and gray dragon is allowed to have bone-beige teeth.

• The proportions of color on the figure can be however you want, as long as the 1st roll is dominant, 2nd is less, 3rd is less, and anything else smaller. Example: 70% pink, 15% green, 10% gray, and 5% anything else. Or it could be 50% pink, 25% green, 15% grey, and 10% anything else. The tidbit colors are fine wherever, as long as they are minor. 
  • Paint your dragon according to the rolls plus your tidbits. Even if it is outrageous. The goal is to make the dragon look as awesome as possible without the benefit of planning color themes. You can add spots, stripes, eye-spots like moths have, or nothing. This is the base challenge
  • Star 1* You may decide after your initial three rolls to limit your shading colors to your rolled colors mixed with pure black and white. You may still use tidbit colors. Declare this if you go for a Star 1 challenge!
  • Star 2** You may decide after your initial three rolls to not use colors outside of your rolled ones and shading colors (so no tidbits like beige teeth, only 3 visual colors shaded however you want). Declare this if you go for a Star 2 challenge!
  • Star 3*** You may decide to do both the Star 1 and Star 2 challenges, using absolutely nothing but your three rolled colors, plus black and white for shading. If you do this, you are allowed to use the white for areas like teeth and eyes that could be really weird otherwise (or not - up to you). Effectively, you have 5 colors to work with only, and three of them must be the majority (in decreasing order of prevalence). You gotta be nuts!
  • There is no time limit on this. However, if the WIP photos stop showing up at a normal rate and there’s never a Show Off thread, the forum dwellers may gently poke fun at you for adding this to your Shelf of Shame.
  • Post to the Show Off forums with a “_Your Pseudonym_ has completed the random rainbow dragon challenge!” sort of title upon completion. Brag about your awesome (or hilarious) dragon. Win all the internet-points. Receive experience and praise. Thus shall end the quest.
  • Once the first Random Rainbow Dragon has been completed, we will start up a group Show Off thread to compile all of the dragons in a great flock of rainbowy goodness. 

Current WIP List (started thanks to @Evilhalfling.) 

Little Bluberry

Paradoxical Mouse

Darsc Zacal

Cranky Dog

Phoenix Rising

Thes Hunter

Invisible Thumb

Eldamir v2

midshipmaneasy v2

Sophie was taken

Xiwo Xerase

WhiteWulfe & RuneLyall

Edited by Cyradis
  • Like 14

Interesting challenge. I love randomness of this sort.

So for colour selection, can we use close approximates if we don't own said colour? For example, I don't own Palomino gold but do have Griffon Tan and Olive skin tones that are pretty close. Or Punk Rock Pink instead of Blush Pink.

It may be beside the point as I'll be mostly away from home for the next two months.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6

I might corrupt this challenge by doing it twice on the same dragon.  Start at the head with two primary colors. At the neck the two colors swirl clockwise one turn to the body.  They continue to swirl down the body and tail at the same rate.  It will tell me if my concept for Ma'aul is doable.  Take the five Chromatic Dragons and the five Metallic dragons and mix them like I just described except at the end of the neck the ten colors swirl to the tail.  In front of the dragon put a wizard in robes of rainbow swirls.  He is the one that transformed the ten dragons into one.   Very ambitious and likely to fall to my procrastination. 

• Like 10

Another question. I just rolled three dice for fun, I rolled 2 - 19 - 2. What happens to double numbers? Or do we roll until we have three colors?

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Another question. I just rolled three dice for fun, I rolled 2 - 19 - 2. What happens to double numbers? Or do we roll until we have three colors?

A good question. Personally I would recommend rerolling, otherwise you're going to have a giant blob of one colour. Unless you want one of us to choose?:devil:

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 7

Eh...I don't know why I wasted 20 minutes trying to get a dice app to work with my recording software on my phone. I could have just used the phone to record actual dice rolling... :zombie:

• Like 7

I love it, I love it! Random dice rolls are amazing for inspiration, I use a set when I want to make up characters to draw. I can't wait to do this after my ReaperCon entry! :wub:

• Like 10

I have my dragon but I need to order paint!

i ended up with Cloudy grey, Imperial Purple, and Clotted Blood on Stormwing. Should be fun! I just don't have the grey or red on hand

and I am fine with liner ^^

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 9

I though we weren't allowed to post vids/clips on the Forum?

How do I show my dice roll then?

• Like 3