Cyradis

The Seers and a Wizard Present a Random Rainbow Dragon Challenge!

Mostly it's because we got a random set of paints, which comes with specific properties. 

(And some of those properties may make it easier or more difficult to paint, but that's all within the scope of the challenge)

If one could replace a paint with a similar paint with different properties it can be tempting for some to claim that they don't have the correct paint and swap in their preferred paint instead.

I'd love to use Dragon White instead of Pure white for instance, since it's a Bones colour and has much better coverage.

But that would in my opinion be cheating.   (Also, I have Pure White, so it would have been a lie also. That ain't happening.)

It may also be tempting to use an Iron Oxide based paint instead of a similar colour without Iron Oxide.  

Of course, the rules doesn't specify which primer is to be used. 

(So if one needs to paint the dragon with a Red base, it's quite possible to use a Red primer first. Vallejo have a few different colours... I have them all, I believe) 

Still, this is my opinion of the challenge, and may or may not be what the creators thought. Probably not, though...

Also, Dragons loves being airbrushed. The air moving rapidly past them give them a feeling of flying.

So, to make them more cooperative, give them a few blasts from the front, without paint before applying primer or basecoat. 

A wet blast to the nether area as the first thing, though... may earn you a sulking dragon, or a fireball when you least expect it.

• Like 6

Slight delay in the start of my challenge as I thought I had all of the paints but I only have Marine Teal. I've been meaning to make my October order just never have pulled the trigger due to I'm making sure I actually need everything in the order now vs pre-RCon'17 order which I didn't care.

I was gonna place it yesterday but found a couple of paints (ghoul & vampire skins) I already had so now I'm like 7 bucks less then the 40 required...AGHHH!! This is the main reason why it hasn't been sent!! I keep dropping below that magic number!! :lol: 

Once I get the paints (knowing Reaper, probably this Friday, if I place today), I'll get a WiP post up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

Still, this is my opinion of the challenge, and may or may not be what the creators thought. Probably not, though...

Ah I get it. Well, I don't have the listed whites and blacks either. I thought the intent was "paint with limited, random colors!" and the specific paints were more an on-the-fly selection of interesting colors, not an specific scientific decision, if you get what I mean. I am further ratified on this by the reply to my question "can I use other paints?". 

I would be interesting to know, either case.

1 hour ago, Gadgetman! said:

Also, Dragons loves being airbrushed. The air moving rapidly past them give them a feeling of flying.

So, to make them more cooperative, give them a few blasts from the front, without paint before applying primer or basecoat. 

A wet blast to the nether area as the first thing, though... may earn you a sulking dragon, or a fireball when you least expect it.

This made my day :lol::lol:

• Like 4

We're loose on the "rules". I didn't select the colors considering things like coverage. I picked them for color effect. Feel free to pick similar if you don't have an exact match. You are welcome to be a rules stickler. You are also welcome to try to work with a generically limited palette. The goal is to make the dragon artistically out of those colors. It is an *additional* challenge to limit yourself to 3 rolled + B&W. I am not doing that; I shaded my heather blue with worn navy instead of heather + black. My orange has poor coverage, so I will probably mix it with white to thicken it. Then I'll overlay some orange. 

The main goal is fun and the process of creating art pieces with color limitations. 

• Like 7

Diabolus was just released in Bones, at $19.99. That's about the right price point for the challenge. Shall we include him in the potential list of dragons (which is flexible anyway)? 

• Like 6

Apologies for the double post, but I am curious about one thing:

With the ability to use a "white or black for shading" in addition to your rolled colours...  Does this mean I can use a different black than the Pure Black i rolled to add in shading, effects, and whatnot?

If you want the 3 star bonus challenge, stick to pure white and black for mixing purposes (or equivalents). General rainbow dragon challenge? Shade with whatever you want, as long as the rolled colors are clearly the primary, secondary, and tertiary colors (like a red dragon shaded with blue is still a red dragon, not a purple or blue dragon). 

• Like 3

Is this still active for new joiners?  I was so busy last year I could barely keep track.  but I could use something like this to keep me doing something other than facing work issues.

Thanks

Roo

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Is this still active for new joiners?  I was so busy last year I could barely keep track.  but I could use something like this to keep me doing something other than facing work issues.

Thanks

Roo

Absolutely! Roll some d20s and get in there!

• Like 2

I think I will, though I have a lot of great competition out there!  You all have done some lovely things with a limited pallet!

• Like 3