Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CashWiley

Zombicide Season 1 Walker

8 posts in this topic

Been wanting to get back into painting a mini now and again, probably nothing more than tabletop for a while. So I took a couple hours to slap some paint on this guy I had sitting on the shelf, already primed.

Zombicide Season One Walker 2 Zombicide Season One Walker 2 Zombicide Season One Walker 2 Zombicide Season One Walker 2

So I think I’ve mostly forgotten how to paint minis. Didn’t help that I snagged the wrong paper for my wet palette, it was a square of tracing paper, so it was a total mess!

22 people like this

Love it Cash! He looks nice and grimy, the shadows are really nice. The detail work around his tie is well done.

2 people like this

You're too harsh on yourself.

This one looks great and many people would give their neighbour's right arm to be able to paint like that!

( Note: offering a neighbour's right arm will prevent losing yours, you need it to paint, right?)

3 people like this

Well, it looks like you used water based acrylic mini paint, and not oil or graphite!

So, it seems you retained your skill set!

Nice result for shaking off the rust.

2 people like this

Great mini and I agree on the neighbor arm part.. It is a post apocalyptic world after all.. 

2 people like this

58 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

You're too harsh on yourself.

This one looks great and many people would give their neighbour's right arm to be able to paint like that!

( Note: offering a neighbour's right arm will prevent losing yours, you need it to paint, right?)

A detachable zombie arm perhaps?

2 people like this

Thanks, everyone. The toughest part about painting with acrylics is the blending. So simply and lovely with oils :)

It was a decent project for reacquainting with the medium. While having the wrong paper on the palette meant I couldn't do much for mixing blends, I was able to cobble together a couple and kinda remember how it goes. And the pants were an exercise in saving an utter mess. I had been sticking to a somewhat limited palette of undead skin and blood triads (red/green), the undead highlight is heavily white and this went chalky and pastel really quickly. So I started glazing over, which gave him pink pants. I pulled out sepia wash because it was on the desk (the KS3 paint set), which skewed it too yellow. I was shooting down the middle for a brown (which is an orange), so I went back and forth until the stark highlights had been dialed down and fixed for hue. Then I (lazily) added black to add depth back to the shadows.

I painted the flesh with the dark red before going into undead skin, mixing the red in a bit as I went.

I'm a bit better about controlling colors, but it's tough when you don't see the constituent elements of the paint, and I'm really not too focused on color theory at this point (I work mostly in graphite and charcoal). I've just cobbled a few things together in portrait class. Once I get serious and learn Munsell bracketing, dialing in the colors should be a lot easier.

1 person likes this

I approve of this. Paint all the minis!

1 person likes this