Sylverthorne

Quest Accepted! Sylverthorne has gone on the Random Rainbow Dragon Challenge Quest

21 posts in this topic

Yah, I buckled. Lookit my arm, it's /all/ bent outta shape.. *cough*

Right then! So, there's a dragon in pieces on my desk. I have chosen my challenge level (3 STARS!) and rolled my colours.. and gurgled, because my dice roller thinks it's funny.

RainbowDargon.png.02b049f388e2609b1a81de04ffa9ad52.png

So! My primary colour is Lava Orange. My Secondary is Imperial Purple, and my miscellaneous colour is Cloudy Grey. Using Pure White and Pure Black for shading, and otherwise using /no other colours/, I will paint this dragon!

... no. Really. It'll be a nice change from all the !%$!@ draconians....

16 people like this

Awesome!!!!

Good luck!!!

2 people like this

That's a fine colour roll!

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

Sounds like a good set for a lava dragon. I like those colors! Good luck!

I was actually thinking something a little more autumn-themed; I already know purple and orange make a decent brown; going all the way up into that lava shade should be interesting; I've never done it deliberately before.

1 hour ago, Guindyloo said:

That's a fine colour roll!

I admit, I kind of went 'gak!' when I saw it, but then I started thinking about it, y'know, like you do, and... well, see above. ^^;

At the moment, I'm just glad I got colours I have in hand; however eye-shattering, /I have them/. Which means I can do something that isn't green and brass! Yay!

6 people like this

Good luck!  I think it'll be interesting! 

1 person likes this

Sunset dragon! Should be gorgeous!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwPv4nZ2sWqD7bBLYuz-b

Edited by Sirithiliel
13 people like this

Can confirm, sunset dragons turn out pretty great. ::P:

7 people like this

33 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

Sunset dragon! Should be gorgeous!

Yus.. but.. Guindy already knocked that out of the park! ..

Actually, I think she might have knocked it out of the solar system. ::D:

... and this orange /does not cover/! *mutteraddswhitegrumptransparentpaint*

Pictures .. eventually. Actually.. here! Have a wing I'm using as an unsuspecting test subject! The body behind it got to test the adding a dribble of white to knock the transparency out of the colour and make it cover better. That sorted that. 'Skin' is going to be purple, variously, with flashing on the outside wings. Inner wings, that don't see the sun so much, will be lighter. Scales will be orange, and may end up being mottled; I want something not unlike a maple in full autumn glory here.

RainbowAutumn.thumb.png.7d2fbed929f3f29bcb5d1100bb0c0162.png

I mixed rather a lot of purple into the grey for the base, which ... eh. pictures eventually, it'll be rocks. ;p

14 people like this

7 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

I don't know about that, but I do know that I would not want to try it again with such a limited colour palette!

Oranges are finicky with their coverage, I'm glad you got it sorted out!

8 people like this

Oh yea. Lava orange is one of those that are troubling to work with. Adding brush on sealer helped it adhere.

5 people like this

On 9/11/2017 at 5:34 PM, Sylverthorne said:

... and this orange /does not cover/! *mutteraddswhitegrumptransparentpaint*

Pictures .. eventually. Actually.. here! Have a wing I'm using as an unsuspecting test subject! The body behind it got to test the adding a dribble of white to knock the transparency out of the colour and make it cover better. That sorted that. 'Skin' is going to be purple, variously, with flashing on the outside wings. Inner wings, that don't see the sun so much, will be lighter. Scales will be orange, and may end up being mottled; I want something not unlike a maple in full autumn glory here.

RainbowAutumn.thumb.png.7d2fbed929f3f29bcb5d1100bb0c0162.png

I mixed rather a lot of purple into the grey for the base, which ... eh. pictures eventually, it'll be rocks. ;p

I feel you on oranges and yellows too for that matter. :P  I love the description of how you want it to end up. <3

2 people like this

I ended up taking yesterday to do Other Stuff ... okay, I slept in and played WoW. :p

But I did get a good long way ahead before that, and I got a little ways in today. Still have a lot of body-scale mottling ahead of me; I'm thinking I might have a colour-shifting forest dragon here; different colours depending on the season! (because I really didn't need a reason to go out and buy /more/ of him..).

RainbowChal.thumb.png.3df1b7880831c20d0bf4f0d0b7dcaadb.png

Anyway. Started here, with random slathering of Brown Liner (bottle not pictured; although all the others got in, one way or the other.

RainbowChal5.png.a008afeb47b85fa6264913090f888a41.png

This is a really terrible picture. But, blocking in head and body colours happened here. The base is there in the upper right corner; it looks pretty purple at this stage, but it'll lighten up later.

Much later, after some slopping and swearing and muttering, I ended up here:

RainbowChal2.png.009fa131c86e59874bfc6d72b56fa7a3.png

RainbowChal3.png.d9543ac2e312fd2a7e0d41c1f5c804a3.png

Told you that base would lighten up. Nothing's been glued; he's just hanging out dry-fitted.

Spent most of a day like that, actually; I was impressed!

I just now finished doing this:

RainbowChal4.png.42dcfff060e4ad1d2ed47cd6e169d593.png

.. I'd like it noted that before this, I really didn't bother much hitting individual scales; I like dry-brushing, and that's how I usually do it. But for this, I wanted something with a little more precision.

The wings have been gone after with a ratty brush that has definitely seen better days; and I'm still trying to decide whether I should aim for blending the inner wings (purple and white) or keep that rough, stippled effect. I like it, but it seems more appropriate for the outer wing surface, which.. I'm not done with.

15 people like this

ooooo i like it! I especially like his face 'mask' thing he's got going on with his snout

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

ooooo i like it! I especially like his face 'mask' thing he's got going on with his snout

Heh, thank you. ^^

@knarthex gave me the idea for the mask with the dragon he was testing his airbrush on. I note, with some amusement, that I'm using a very similar palette .. *headshake*

4 people like this