Valthorn_Illian

77152 Marsh Troll

Finished up my Marsh Troll that I totally didn't leave sitting on my shelf half painted for two years because I was procrastinating and painting everything else. That random severed head definitely surprised me.

20170911_204403.jpg

20170911_204345.jpg

20170911_204320.jpg

20170911_204304.jpg

• Like 19

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By cassault
      These are the first figures I painted after lurking around here for a few months. Think they came out well.

• By Geoff Davis
      02476: Lorna The Huntress sculpted by Bobby Jackson.  This is the P65 version.  A bit of a speedpaint in order to try out a different tartan colour scheme.  This one is based upon the Robertson Hunting Tartan.

• By NecroMancer
      It's been awhile since I posted some pics of my completed works so I thought I would get some put up here in hopes of some more insightful C&C.

Here is Mason Thornwarden which I recently got from the BoGW.

A couple comments about this guy.  I was going for a polished grainy wood appearance on the bow but not sure if I like the result (on the picture that looks like a white spot on he back of the bow is just the reflection of my lamp on the glossy bow).  On his quiver and scabbard I tried kind of a black leather look which I have mixed feeling about as they look better in person than on camera.  I also tried some NMM gold on the handle of the bow with my new MSP paints, again I have mixed feelings about how it turned out but I really like the triad.

I think my painting continues improving but I am still lightyears from where I want to be.  I know I can still be a little cleaner with my paint job and I could work on smoothing my blends (especially on the boots) but I would really appreciate any C&C that anyone has.

• By dmpv01
      Simple speed paint. All done except for the base.
      Edit: I've added my 2nd Cairn Wraith. I really liked Michael Proctor's example paint so I copied the color scheme for it.

• By Geoff Davis
      I've been working on painting tartan a bit (Ian MacAndrew Show Off)

A while ago I said I would post a step-by-step of painting a tartan(Painting Tartan).

So here it is:  02243 Robert O'Mannon sculpted by Bobby Jackson.

I started by deciding what colour tartan I would paint.  On the last project I used the Afghanistan Memorial Tartan ( Tartan reference material  ) but changed the blue to green and left off some of the highlight colours.  I've found that most patterns of tartan are really far too complicated for me to attempt to paint, so I pick out one that I can simplify into easily painted elements.  These elements often combine multiple lines from the original tartan into a single line of a similar colour.  The result is a pattern that suggests a tartan but without having to paint a lot of very fine lines.  Painting very long, fine lines is the particular challenge of painting tartan, so the fewer you can get away with the better.  So for this project I decided to use the same tartan pattern again, but to keep the blue colour and to add in the red and white lines.  This is risky because the white lines in particular can be very hard to paint smoothly and they stick out like a sore thumb when they are messy.  Mistakes will be highly visible, as you will see. 

Another consideration for selection of the tartan and the colour of tartan is the overall composition of the final miniature.  The very fine lines can be hard to notice, so adding a similar colour elsewhere on the miniature can help make the colour more easily noticed.  This is why I painted Robert's hair red and his amulet blue. 

Step 1:

Draw out the main lines for the pattern and select the colours.

I also test painted a swatch of the pattern.  From this I knew that the blue would need to have the intersection squares painted in darker or it wouldn't look right. 
  • Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)