Lord of the Dish Pit

77353 Ursula, Dwarven Bear Rider

Nice.  I need to paint all the mounted figures from my Bones up yet....this one is sitting on my desk too.   Have you done any of the other mounted figures or the Centaurs?  

• Like 1

This is the only mounted bones sculpt I've painted so far, I have one of the mounted knights, Sir Lorath I think on the shelf but I'm probably going to use him as the basis for a conversion. His horse seems like it would work with a mounted vampire. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bailey03
      This past weekend I started painting Brom, the 54mm scale dwarf from Enigma. The sculpt has got a mix of equipment and, to be honest, I'm not even sure what all of it is. It gives him a lot of character, but presents some challenges with the painting. I've been putting a lot of thought into how I want to approach the piece and finally decided to pick a color scheme and let that tie the figure together.
      I started with the face. Considering most of it is hidden by the hair, the beard feels almost as important as the rest of the face.  I used a mix of Reaper's Ruddy Leather, Secret Weapon's Orange Rust, and Reaper's Burnt Orange and Fair Skin Highlight.  I find the light skin tones are nice for highlighting hair, I'd do the same with brown hair.  For the blood stained cloth on his head, I used a mix of Carnage Red and Walnut Brown.  I wanted it to be darker near the center, so more brown, and the moving to pure red near the boundaries.  I applied the red as a glaze over the white cloth to give it the right look.  Instead of using the well palette that I'd normally turn to for glazes, I ended up mixing them directly on my wet palette.  Normally that produces a mess, but I used a bit of paint and then added a bunch of matte medium (plus a little water).  The matte medium is thick, so it creates the right transparency without causing the glaze to flow all over the palette.  Then I then it down slightly with water for a consistency that's easier to paint with.  The effect is the same as a regular glaze, but since it's on the wet palette it's easier for me to mix paints and create different colored glazes.  It's also easy to vary the consistency/transparency by changing up the ratio of matte medium and paint.  So I can quickly make a section more opaque and another more transparent.  Not something I do for all glazes, for in situations like this it's a nice option to have in my tool kit.

And here's the full figure.  Still a lot left to paint!

• By Pingo
      So I realized I only had one painted dwarf (!) when one of my GMs asked me if I had anything for the Jadeborn, a race in Exalted that is roughly equivalent to dwarves except for the 0.001% who are roughly equivalent to elves. And they are also sort of stone golems. Based on jade.
      I thought Reaper's 60184: Meyanda, Android Priestess, sculpted by Bobby Jackson, would do well for one of the elfy artisan Jadeborn and I pulled out a random assortment of seven (because of course) dwarves for the worker and warrior Jadeborn.
      All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.
      Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.
      This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.
      I left a few crystal and gem areas white so they will have more luminosity later.

Left to right:
      Reaper 60184, Meyanda Android Priestess; Ral Partha; Hasslefree HFD014 Hatherley; Oathsworn Miniatures; Oathsworn Miniatures; Red Box Games; Stonehaven Miniatures; Reaper 14143: Kara Foehunter, Dwarf Hero

The Ral Partha dwarf is tiny!

• By empi2k
      Hi there,
      I haven't been posting here for quite some time. But I have some finished minis I wanted to share with you.

This is a a player character in my recently finished D&D Tyranny of Dragons campaign. A shield dwarf warlock, Fey Patron (Prince of Ice) with Pact of the Blade (or here: an magical ice axe, that's why it's white).
      I really liked painting this miniature, it has great facial details. I hope you like it.
      Here are the rest of the player characters of the campaign. I posted some of them some time ago in 2016 ^^

• By Lidless Eye
      Just a few figures from the latest wave of Wizkid's Dungeons & Dragons: Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures line.  I think the line has improved a lot.

For whatever reason, my phone didn't want to focus on the thin Dragonborn faces.  

The only non-Dragonborn in the crew, a "Female Dwarf Barbarian".  She seems a bit heavily armored for that role to me, but I was impressed with her design from the first render preview.

• By Crowley
      My fellow 5e player who also plays a dwarf, asked if I would be willing to slap some paint on a dwarf for him after he saw my Ivar conversion. While the Dain mini is a little ornate, I think he'll paint up fairly quickly. Let's see if I can't get him done by Wednesday. 
      First I washed him in warm soapy water, and gave him a good scrub with a toothbrush. Then I clipped off his base, and used my trusty Happy Seppuku base stamp to help him match my Ivar mini.

After giving him a day to dry, I coated him in Brown Liner.

And painted the eyes with Linen White, and Viper Green.

Then did the skin with a 50/50 mix of warrior flesh and ruddy flesh, the beard and horns with auburn shadow, and the bedroll with muddy olive. 

More to come!
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)