Evilhalfling

Evilhalfling's search for a random rainbow dragon

thankfully I don't have to use the colors I randomly rolled from my collection of ~ 100 paints.  

rosy skin, military green and liche purple would have been really ugly. 

substitutions per the paint list.  

16 Primary Cloudy grey = Dirty Grey 
15 Secondary Marine Teal = Winter Blue 
17 Accent Mint Green = Will Buy  (I have a craft paint stand in to mint green, but the coverage is rubbish,  its unusable at the miniature scale.

ill be at the FLGS for paint day on Saturday and then gaming on Sunday, I don't need another trip.  

Ill go 3 stars. the permitted use of black and white seems forgiving. 

Im looking forward to mixing the mint green with the other colors and see what kind of weird effects it has. 

The dragon is currently covered in grey liner, which should disappear easily under the dirty grey primary color.  

I left one wing off so I can paint the back scales more easily. 

rainbow challenge.jpg

• Like 16

@Evilhalfling

is your PM inbox full or otherwise in working order? In other threads, folks were wondering. 

• Like 1

Elder spawn is looking over my painting desk - "This dragon looks so cool! " 

"Its primed in grey liner,  see this leg is where I am testing out scale colors." 

"That doesn't look as good, you should keep it black" 

sigh. 

I'm still thinking grey, leaning towards white with blue stripes, and belly.  not sure where the mint green is going. 

• Like 5

The mint green could do patterning within the blue stripes perhaps? Could also use the green pattern to tie onto the gray. *shrug* You'll figure something out! 

• Like 3

Insomnia Painting 

got up at 4am last night and spent at least 30 min painting.  Went back to sleep but when wife went for a run 530 started painting again. 

this is mostly just primer, dirty gray, black and white. t

Not sure why I put white at the base of each scale, then faded to black at the edge, but I tried the other way on him and this just looks better. 

And my secondary color makes an appearance! 

this time the bright side of the blue scales is towards the edge, done on a whim, but it increases the contrast between the colors.  Forward into the breech! 

looking at photos it is obvious that the thin line of scales on the rear of the front leg need to be blue too.  this is going to be a very stripy dragon.  the little claws on the sides of the legs are going to be mint green.  cause yeah.  

ip.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 20

I may need to experiment with my last color.  I want the blue to "Pop" a little more than it does. 

otherwise I am having a blast painting this dragon.  

He is moving at the speed of Nathvarr the bacon-colored, and I did that dragon in a week.   

this close-up really shows which scales are simply not well blended.

much of the blending I am doing is wet blending, difficult in this dry climate. 

- I started on the other side as well, but its not much to see.

I am considering doing mint green on the top of back crest, but ill have to see how it looks.  

There are these jewel things on the chest that are definitely going to get some mix of mint green.  

day2.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 15

Paint day ! 

Cyradis bought the last mint green , as I arrived late.

but I discovered that the copper verdigris from the last KS is nearly identical. So I can move forward again. 

And So I did. 

Michael Proctor also came to the even and had some advice on the wings. 

and adding some lines to draw interest to the neck crest.   

right wing.jpg

leftside.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 17

keeping it up :) 

I was thinking a cloud base - possibly made of expanding insulation foam.  But trials proved unsuccessful and the best cloud base examples I found online seemed to sculpt the entire cloud, or use cotton.   Added to this is the difficulty of building a base at the varying high levels of his claws.  

So ill put him on his rock base (will paint brown /red for contrast)   and then add some cotton to fill out a circular base. 

If anyone has done/seen a good cloud base I'd love a link. 

Unless ..I switch this concept for a sea base - I know I can sculpt waves, crashing against the rocky outcrop.  hmm. 

A9_19.jpg.a1789c0b25cd10ae1e07fa827c488d43.jpgB9_19.jpg.198a7dea94212465c8edf1c7c2357153.jpgC9_19.jpg.e0b728c0a9e17a3cc36869f49b5b9019.jpg

wings are still rough/wet blended, lots of detail to add. 

I think ill tint them a bit grayer, leaving the outer tips the full brightness. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 16