Logos

Bones or Not Bones?

23 posts in this topic

Even though most of us were able to pick out the Bones vs Metal minis, both paintjobs are awesome.

2 people like this

The tell for me was the odd little bumps that bones tend to have.  They're small enough to be missed when cleaning, but just large enough that they give it away. 

Edited by Clearman
2 people like this

1 minute ago, Clearman said:

The tell for me was the odd little bumps that bones tend to have.  They're small enough to be missed when cleaning, but just large enough that they give it away. 

That's totally true.  But I really like the durability of the things and how the paint just sticks to them.  Don't get me wrong I like the detail you get with metal and higher quality plastic or resin but I really love the fact that I don't have to worry about dropping these things.    Which I have done on numerous occasions already.  You factor in that with the price and it's more than good enough for me.

As a side note I have noticed that Wizkids is trying to get into this game now by releasing their painted figs as unpainted figs with prices even cheaper than bones.  Anyone ever look at those?  I would be interested if I hadn't spent so much on Bones already! lol.  I think once I have all the bones up to 4 done I and just going to focus on board games.  I am already running out of room to put this stuff on display. :(

2 people like this

For me the tell was the harshness of the metal pose. For some reason, the metal casts always seem too...stiff to be real to me. 

Actually her being obviously bigger was a big clue.

Also some minor details are less sharp, like the cup and the wristband.

The larger the monster in Bones, the better the detail though.

I paint for display and fun, but I got lots and lots of Bones.

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, Logos said:

That's totally true.  But I really like the durability of the things and how the paint just sticks to them.  Don't get me wrong I like the detail you get with metal and higher quality plastic or resin but I really love the fact that I don't have to worry about dropping these things.    Which I have done on numerous occasions already.  You factor in that with the price and it's more than good enough for me.

This, so much this. Painted Bones (even unsealed) stand up to tabletop punishment/drops/kids very well. More than good enough for the tabletop usage scenarios I've got planned. Haven't sealed any of mine yet, and haven't seen any paint damage, other than the scratches I made with fingernails when testing how well the paint stuck.

35 minutes ago, Logos said:

As a side note I have noticed that Wizkids is trying to get into this game now by releasing their painted figs as unpainted figs with prices even cheaper than bones.  Anyone ever look at those?  I would be interested if I hadn't spent so much on Bones already! lol.  I think once I have all the bones up to 4 done I and just going to focus on board games.  I am already running out of room to put this stuff on display. :(

Have not noticed WizKids unpainted minis. Haven't really been looking though.

3 people like this

I got two female elf wizards.  They seem skinnier that Reapers.  They were preprimed and had clear spell effects in their hands.  The materiel was also stiffer and seemed more brittle.  Too soon to tell how the hold up.

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I paint for display and fun, but I got lots and lots of Bones.

^^OMG, this!^^ 

1 person likes this