Logos

Display cabinet advice

15 posts in this topic

Hi:

I am trying to use my space more efficiently to display all of my bones figures.  I have been using some cheap spice rack stands from amazon but do any of you have any cheap ideas for 4 or 5 tier stands or something better than using book cases?

Note on the black case I added cheap 30 dollar led light bars that come as a set of 4.  I really like these and I am considering adding it to my other cases.  Especially since they consume so little power.

IMG_20170801_114236438.jpg

IMG_20170910_105559837.jpg

Edited by Logos
7 people like this

IKEA Kasseby works well for the few minis I have finished...   

(I cut some Foamcore to make shelves in it)  

You could get an IKEA BILLY bookshelf, with OXBERG glass doors, and replace the shelves in the top half with glass shelves. 

3 people like this

Unfortunately IKEA stuff isn't the greatest option.  Nearest store is like 900km away and their shipping sucks in Canada.

Everyone's shipping sucks in Canada...  

But if you're a bit handy, you can rebuild most bookshelves with glass shelving. 

For minis with small bases, you can use the same clear plastic nail polish racks that work so well with paint bottles. They come in a variety of designs from the usual general merchandise online retailers.

For larger stuff, it's not all that difficult to build clear plastic shelves from sheets.

:lol: Don't know if I need glass stands actually.  I am really looking for a away to get them more densely stacked on my selves with more tiers or something.  Modifying shadow boxes to hang on the wall is an idea I have not thought of though.  I do have some room yet on my walls.::P:

Just now, Doug Sundseth said:

For minis with small bases, you can use the same clear plastic nail polish racks that work so well with paint bottles. They come in a variety of designs from the usual general merchandise online retailers.

For larger stuff, it's not all that difficult to build clear plastic shelves from sheets.

I've looked at that.  The prices are cheap on Amazon.com but on Amazon.ca the prices are like triple or quadruple for some reason.

I have been looking at something like these from bed bath and beyond.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/expand-a-shelf-cabinet-shelf/1010166667?skuId=10166667

They are expandable up to 20 inches but they are only 3 tiers.  i would like to use something that is 4 or 5 tiers so I can get the most out of the book shelves vertical space.

78574910166667p.jpg

2 people like this

Can't speak to Canadian prices, but it looks like 6-tier clear acrylic racks are pretty widely available online at Amazon, WalMart, Alibaba, ..., for what look like fair prices to me in the US.

3 hours ago, Logos said:

Unfortunately IKEA stuff isn't the greatest option.  Nearest store is like 900km away and their shipping sucks in Canada.

Sigh! I know right. Unless you order a whole bunch of stuff, even their collection points aren't necessarily worth it.

But those Billy cases + glass doors would've been my choice too. Glass door cabinets just aren't a thing in home design anymore.

I like the IKEA Detolf cabinet, but not sure if there is a non-IKEA alternative.

15 hours ago, Clearman said:

I like the IKEA Detolf cabinet, but not sure if there is a non-IKEA alternative.

I have 4 of those I use to display my Macross toys and some Masterpiece Transformers.  They are really nice for the priece but it's allot of wasted space to display 28mm to 32mm scale figs.  I did see some nice stuff for displaying shot glasses but at $100 a display stand that's a bit pricey.

19 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Can't speak to Canadian prices, but it looks like 6-tier clear acrylic racks are pretty widely available online at Amazon, WalMart, Alibaba, ..., for what look like fair prices to me in the US.

yeah I found some 6 tier acrylic racks for like $30 Canadian but they all have lips at the front of each tier.  Good for paints.  Not so good if a display base is 1.5" or larger and won't fit in there.   Still might have to pick some up just for standard 1" sized based figs.  These are starting to pile up to as I finish most of the large sized stuff that I have and moving to the mountain of standard sized figs that came with all of my Bones.........There is a joke in there somewhere. lol.

2 people like this

Still doesn't help you in Canada, but you can add extra shelves to DETOLF to get a good miniature display cabinets.

On 9/16/2017 at 6:54 PM, fanguad said:

Still doesn't help you in Canada, but you can add extra shelves to DETOLF to get a good miniature display cabinets.

Is there a kit to add shelves to a detolf?  I have 4 of them and that would be great.  

I have a Clear Display Box from Amazon ( Odoria Clear UV Acrylic Display Box Case 9.4" Long 4 Step Dustproof For Amiibo Funko POP Figure Display Protection ) that I desperately need another of (or a better option entirely) since it's getting quite crowded.

Has 4 1.5" shelves .. not great for a ton of minis,  but it's covered

59c13821ebe6b_2017-09-1910_25_17.thumb.jpg.7a47724a0373bfafd7376526ff72ee8b.jpg59c1382a136a1_2017-09-1910_25_32.thumb.jpg.f7c8504538d60874b43b23b6f1933458.jpg

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Logos said:

Is there a kit to add shelves to a detolf?  I have 4 of them and that would be great.  

No kit, but depending on how nice you want it to look, it's pretty easy.  Get some wire clips from the hardware store ($.40 each) and some glass from your local glass place.

Example instructions here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/ikea-detolf-modification-1-adding-additional-shelves.423114/

or some nicer looking clips here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/202040915247

for lots more suggestions search google for something like "add shelves to IKEA DETOLF"

I am not sure as to your space availability or what aesthetics you desire, but on the real cheap side, I went to a Crushed Stone business that sells concrete/cinder blocks in colors.  They are in various sizes and I wanted 6 blocks and they gave them to me as they wanted to get rid of project leftovers.  Those along with some boards made perfect shelves.  I left the boards natural, but could be painted, varnished, shellacked, etc.  Shelf spacing will vary depending the thickness of the blocks you find.