Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paradoxical Mouse

Mixing Metallic Paints

17 posts in this topic

I'd like to do a wrought iron fence for my Bones 3 Graveyard, but I'm worried about how my metallics will mix with a black. I have some Army Painter metallics, and I planned to mix one, such as their Platemail Steel with the Army Painter Pure Black to get the color I want. Does anyone have experience with mixing colors with metallics? 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I'd like to do a wrought iron fence for my Bones 3 Graveyard, but I'm worried about how my metallics will mix with a black. I have some Army Painter metallics, and I planned to mix one, such as their Platemail Steel with the Army Painter Pure Black to get the color I want. Does anyone have experience with mixing colors with metallics? 

I have mixed normal paints with metallics a lot and never had any trouble.

Although I don't use Army Painter Paints, I use Vallejo, Scale 75 and Reaper mostly and some P3 and GW.

If you prefer it there are Black Metallics available.

Reaper - Adamtium Black

Scale 75 Black Metal.

8 people like this

Vallejo has something called Metal Medium.  Its for mixing with normal colors.  So if you want metallic red or green or purple....you just pick the darkest version of that color and mix it with this stuff.  It will give it that metallic shine and brighten the color up a couple notches.  As far as black goes.  You might have to use a bit extra black to keep it from turning grey. 

As to normal metallic and mixing Ive never had an issue with Reaper or GW paints.  Army painter though I have no experience in.  Should be fine though. 

However, I agree with glitterwolf its way better to get a premixed black metal paint.  Reaper has adamantine and shadowed steel. Which as metals go get an A from me. 

3 people like this

I prefer Scale 75 metallics over any brand these days.

They need to be shaken vigorously and pierce the tip when you get them because those are sealed ( I use a paperclip) but I find their Metallics the best.

Good coverage!

1 person likes this

Wrought iron doesn't normally have a lot of metallic shine, you might want to just paint the fence black and then dry-brush either a dark metallic color on the edges or mix a dark steel with black.  

I've been mixing metallic paints of all sorts with non-metallic paints for ages, and while it works you usually lose the sparkle that the metallic paint had.  Vallejo's metal medium is the only thing I've found that keeps the sparkle, but it does lighten up the color a lot.  Alternately you could start looking at shaded metallic tutorials, but that's a lot of work for a wrought iron fence.  

8 people like this

Any links to an US distributor that sells it?  I haven't been able to find any.

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

Any links to an US distributor that sells it?  I haven't been able to find any.

Vallejo Metallic Medium? Amazon has it, though the price is higher than I've seen it for in a hobby store. Probably not higher than it would be in a hobby store plus the time and fuel to get there and back, though.

2 people like this

As an alternative, could I get a wrought iron effect by washing with a black wash mix (like, 1 pure black to 2-3 drops water) for a few layers? It is a matted metal...I don't want a super shiny metallic, either.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I do this with my tabletop Mantic Orcs army. Paint with 50/50 black to metallic. Then hold the miniature next to bright light and paint pure metallic wherever the light hits the metal. You might end up with 25/75 metallic or just semi-gloss, because wrought iron fences are painted with enamel (?) paint (search on "how to paint a wrought iron fence"), not left as bare metal. 

Mixing will do what you need, especially Army Painter black because you need very little of it to have a big effect.  Your ratio won't alter enough to change how you use the metallic, though it may separate some and may possibly retain a touch of semi gloss from the army painter black.  If you have Reaper Brown Liner it can substitue to make a very very dull dark metal but you'll need to use more to do the job.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Vallejo Metallic Medium? Amazon has it, though the price is higher than I've seen it for in a hobby store. Probably not higher than it would be in a hobby store plus the time and fuel to get there and back, though.

No, I looking for scale 75 paints...

Edited by Bane Of Humanity

Scale Colors (the name of the paint line) should give you results. ..

Make sure you use the us website though 

Michigan toy soldiers for another...

(Links to stores are a no no on the forum )

2 people like this

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

Wrought iron doesn't normally have a lot of metallic shine, you might want to just paint the fence black and then dry-brush either a dark metallic color on the edges or mix a dark steel with black.  

X2. Just use a flat or semi-gloss black. In addition to the above paints, you can drybrush some powdered graphite on the upper edges OR use the side of a soft drawing pencil point (like a 6B) and hit all of the upper horizontal edges.

11 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Scale Colors (the name of the paint line) should give you results. ..

Make sure you use the us website though 

Michigan toy soldiers for another...

(Links to stores are a no no on the forum )

Yep...found it....no wonder I couldn't find it lol thx

Look up "iridescent medium." You can add it to ANY color to give it a metallic or shiny look. I found a big bottle at Michaels arts/crafts store for like $6-10 and they always have a 40% off coupon on their website.