Corporea

curse you and your fun ideas!!! ie: Corporea is accepting rainbow dragon challenge thingy

20 posts in this topic

I feel like you just dead-dropped atomic secrets.  Perhaps there is something to this "Colour Theory".   My government will pay handsomely for the microfiche.

15 people like this

haha glad to see you join our madness!

That's going to be one bright dragon!

5 people like this

14 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

I feel like you just dead-dropped atomic secrets.  Perhaps there is something to this "Colour Theory".   My government will pay handsomely for the microfiche.

I hear she teaches a class on this....  :devil:

9 people like this

Just now, LittleBluberry said:

We all know I ain't got no class.

13 people like this

yeah- things were simpler when I just got to pick pretty colors that I liked.  Then I learned this arcane science stuff and it made me have to think harder.  Not to say it isn't fun... it just makes me take an extra step when planning a mini and finding maximal contrast.

It's kindof cool though, to know there really is some method to the madness!

13 people like this

I always intend everything I do, especially the accidental stuff.  

Now I'll stop messing about in your thread so you can fill it with many beautiful pictures.

12 people like this

I like your colors! And if you aren't doing the extra challenges, you still get tidbit colors and/or shading colors. 

The imperial purple is darker than the patch online, I believe. That might be a relief for you. Seriously though, this should turn out fabulous. 

Welcome to the madness! Take all the time you need - wouldn't want your diorama to suffer! 

4 people like this

Art Science?  In one of the only art classes I ever took, we learned a rule of thumb to squint and look at colors for values like this.  For a rule of thumb, it works surprisingly well.  Good luck with figuring these out.  At least you can add black and white to provide more separation.

4 people like this

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

And now I'm really excited I was able to enroll.  

6 people like this

Corporea, are you familiar with the Munsell notation? I'm still mostly working in graphite and charcoal, so I haven't dug too deeply into color. But it's set up to account for the relative values of different color, and there's some good lessons out there on using it for bracketing and mixing colors to control all three axes.

http://munsell.com/about-munsell-color/how-color-notation-works/

3 people like this

I hope you enjoy this mind-crushing challenge, Corporea! I'm incredibly eager to see how you in particular approach it. Keep in mind that there's absolutely no time limit, so don't sacrifice other projects until you have more time. Eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

4 people like this

Great you're joining us!!!

Looking forward to see how you handle it.

As for me, I just splosh colours I like  on a mini hoping it will look decent enough.

Wolf's head gets confused with theory..

3 people like this

Cash- yeah I've looked at the munsell system- it works, but since I learned on the traditional I tend to think that way still!

Ok, got Mr Dragon all greenstuffed. I'm waiting on the tail and the wings because they'll make it harder to reach areas.  It's always tough to figure out how much assebly beforehand is best.  I tend to err on the less is more side and just be gentle when I do attach things.  Right now he's just resting on his base.

rdragon1.jpg.33b1d82d12930355b7e040b2929bbdf1.jpg

I always saw him a a good bronze so I may have to pick up another copy later.

rdragon2.jpg.c8bf0bbb5bfd892de708b1c98cdd2dca.jpg

Then I decided to play around and see what I could come up with.  I took the brilliant green and basecoated, then mixed the imperial purple with black and shaded quickly.  I like to slap on color and wet blend because it's fast and it gives me a rapid sense of what the colors will look like. I mixed the green, white and purple for the highlight.  I think a yellow would work better than the white, but it's ok.  Since pure white is such a cool white, it's going to make Mr Rainbow Dragon look a little on the minty fresh side.  Linen white or buckskin pale would probably be killer, fyi.  But, the purple and the green are playing with each other and sharing, so I call it a win.  Now... to go make friends with the red...

21 people like this

well, your first color looks greate ::):

3 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Cyradis
      Congratulations, you have found the thread for posting your completed Random Rainbow Dragon!! The original quest can be seen here: 

Please provide a link to your Show Off Thread (which should include the model # you chose in its tags), a link to the Work in Progress thread, a brief statement of what colors you rolled, a statement of what dragon you painted (for search purposes), and photos of your lovely dragon. 

The Mods may make grumpy faces and remove chatter-posts from this thread. For chatter, please go to the original quest thread. 

You receive +5000 experience, +3 to skill Crafting (Mini Painting), and over 9000 Internet Points (redeemable whenever, wherever, for bragging rights on the internet) for completing this quest. 

Thank you for your participation. May our flock of dragons fly together forever in the pixels of this thread! 
    • By Cyradis
      Congratulations, by opening this forum post, you have received a quest!
      This quest is a challenge created by the combined forces of @Sirithiliel the Queen Tiamacrab, a Wizard Most Wild @Pezler the Polychromatic, and myself – @Cyradis the Questgiver.
      The challenge is this! Paint a small dragon, letting the dice control the colors!
      The Rules:
      Post in the WIP Forums “_Your Pseudonym_ is taking the random rainbow dragon challenge!” or “_Your Pseudonym_ has accepted the d20 rainbow dragon quest!” something to that extent.

Select a figure from one of the following: Stormwing (from Bones III), Kryphrixis (from Bones III), Deathsleet (77110), or Ebonwrath (77102).

You must select the dragon BEFORE rolling for colors. Take a photo with the figure and a clock as proof of order of operations.  
      Roll for colors! Use a d20 and a photo, or an online dice roller with a screenshot as proof of rolling. Or have a fellow forum dweller vouch for your rolls. Use the Color Chart below to determine what the color is that you rolled. There are three rolls. Below is an online dice roller. Most keyboards have a PRT SCRN button that can take a screenshot for you. Then you can paste the photo into Paint to save. I'm sure there are better methods, but that works for me. 

https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm

The first roll determines what your primary base color is. That must be the dominant color on the figure.

The second roll determines your secondary color. It should be the second color that catches the eye, and second most prevalent color on the figure.

The third roll determines your miscellaneous color. This should be most of the accent colors that you use, and third most prevalent color on the figure.

You might need to order paint or go to the FLGS after rolling if you don’t have a given bottle – we’ll be patient and wait for you. If you can’t get a bottle of one of these colors, here is a spreadsheet with equivalent colors from different brands. If you really can't get them, use the closest thing you got to your rolls (let us know what they are please). 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit#gid=5
        Number
      Reaper #
      Color Name
      Color Description
      Fire Red
      Bright red
      Clotted Red
      Dull red
      Lava Orange
      Volcanic orange
      Orange Brown
      Dull orange
      Lemon Yellow
      Bright yellow
      Brilliant green
      Bright green
      Olive Green
      Olive dull green
      True Blue
      Bright blue
      Heather Blue
      Dull light blue
      Imperial Purple
      Deep purple
      Violet Red
      A very misnamed color; somewhere between burgundy and magenta. Not violet.
      Blush Pink
      Very pink
      Earth Brown
      Generic brown
      Terran Khaki
      Light brown
      Mint Green
      Bright pastel green
      Cloudy Grey
      Generic grey
      Marine Teal
      Teal, blueish
      Palomino Gold
      Earthy gold yellow
      Pure Black
      Super black. Critical threat!
      Pure White
      Super white. Critical threat!

You are allowed to use whatever colors to shade and highlight that you want, as long as the rolled colors are obvious visually.* Example: you can shade a red dragon with purple, brown, or black, but it must always appear as a red dragon. A white dragon shaded with grey must appear as a white dragon, not a grey dragon.   
      You are allowed to use colors outside the ones that you rolled, but they must not take up more visual surface area than any of the others.** Example: your pink, green, and gray dragon is allowed to have bone-beige teeth.  
      The proportions of color on the figure can be however you want, as long as the 1st roll is dominant, 2nd is less, 3rd is less, and anything else smaller. Example: 70% pink, 15% green, 10% gray, and 5% anything else. Or it could be 50% pink, 25% green, 15% grey, and 10% anything else. The tidbit colors are fine wherever, as long as they are minor. 
        Paint your dragon according to the rolls plus your tidbits. Even if it is outrageous. The goal is to make the dragon look as awesome as possible without the benefit of planning color themes. You can add spots, stripes, eye-spots like moths have, or nothing. This is the base challenge. 
        Star 1* You may decide after your initial three rolls to limit your shading colors to your rolled colors mixed with pure black and white. You may still use tidbit colors. Declare this if you go for a Star 1 challenge!
        Star 2** You may decide after your initial three rolls to not use colors outside of your rolled ones and shading colors (so no tidbits like beige teeth, only 3 visual colors shaded however you want). Declare this if you go for a Star 2 challenge!
        Star 3*** You may decide to do both the Star 1 and Star 2 challenges, using absolutely nothing but your three rolled colors, plus black and white for shading. If you do this, you are allowed to use the white for areas like teeth and eyes that could be really weird otherwise (or not - up to you). Effectively, you have 5 colors to work with only, and three of them must be the majority (in decreasing order of prevalence). You gotta be nuts!
        There is no time limit on this. However, if the WIP photos stop showing up at a normal rate and there’s never a Show Off thread, the forum dwellers may gently poke fun at you for adding this to your Shelf of Shame.
        Post to the Show Off forums with a “_Your Pseudonym_ has completed the random rainbow dragon challenge!” sort of title upon completion. Brag about your awesome (or hilarious) dragon. Win all the internet-points. Receive experience and praise. Thus shall end the quest.
        Once the first Random Rainbow Dragon has been completed, we will start up a group Show Off thread to compile all of the dragons in a great flock of rainbowy goodness.   
      Current WIP List (started thanks to @Evilhalfling.) 

Little Bluberry
      Sylverthorne
      Glitterwolf
      Cyradis
      Corporea
      Sirithiliel
      Morihalda
      Evilhalfling
      Guindyloo
      Maledrakh
      Eldamir
      pcktInt
      Talae
      nakos
      Kate
      midshipmaneasy
      Paradoxical Mouse
      Darsc Zacal
      vegascat
      Cranky Dog
      Auberon
      robinh
      Ulfheathen
      Phoenix Rising
      NebulousMissy
    • By NebulousMissy
      This is the first true dragon I've ever tackled. Hordes minis don't count

I went with Deathsleet for his rearing pose and...

01: Fire Red
      09: Heather Blue
      20: Pure White

...... It's a 4th of July dragon!

No, no, bad Neb. Not painting a dragon covered in stars. Too weird. I can... wait... Eeeeeeheheheheheee...

I'll see how these paints mix when I get them. Because even with a 3-star challenge I can blend through purple.

And now the waiting begins...
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)