Jeremy-Smith

Jeremy-Smith Sculpture stuff (Image Heavy)

8 posts in this topic

I don't know if digital stuff is allowed here, if not I'll delete the thread. 

Here's a handful of stuff I've done, professionally, and personally.  If the digital sculpt thing isn't a problem, I'll be posting updates with more stuff later, including information and images for my next kickstarter.  Thanks for checking out my work. 

Raynard_01-2.jpg

Resh_01-1.jpg

Thrawn_01-1.jpg

Necro_01-1.jpg

screenshot002.png

Sagat_01-2.jpg

Solomon Grundy_01-1.jpg

screenshot003.jpg

Cthulhu_01-1.jpg

Darth_Talon_07.jpg

9 people like this

I don't think the digs are a problem.  Just don't post any commercial threads.  Might try with the Kickstarter page (Samurai Jack posts lots of KS campaigns, which is helpful for those of us on the hunt) and if the mods don't like it, they'll let ya know.

I like your work:  Great anatomy with natural and visually interesting posing, fantastic armor details, love your take on Cthulhu and Sagat.  And the scrawny, brain-multi-skulled thing?  Like a nightmare brought to life!  Cheers!

3 people like this

Definitely use the Kickstarter forum for anything related to your Kickstarter..  It's worth talking to some of the other resin companies just to get prices.. 

<Edit by TaleSpinner: commerce issues>

1 person likes this

Thanks so much for the comments. 

BLZeebub:

I'm glad you like my work, and thanks for the compliments.  I'll be sure to keep the KS information to the KS pages. 

SamuraiJack:

Thanks, I'll look in to resin companies, and generally doing more research on companies before I settle with one. 

<TaleSpinner Mod edit in italics>

4 people like this

I like the Not Pleasure Demoness.

1 person likes this

I'm curious, since I'm looking for commission/contract work, are there any job forums for minis sculpting?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

16 hours ago, Jeremy-Smith said:

I'm curious, since I'm looking for commission/contract work, are there any job forums for minis sculpting?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There was one, but there weren't many good sculptors on there and it sort-of dwindled. The problem is that there aren't that many of us working professionally to keep a forum going and those that are there tend not to have/take time to post on forums much (I'm kind of weird, in that respect). On this forum, you can post your work but not advertise. You can put a link to your own website in your signature.

In my experience, most sculptors do not get commission work until they have proven themselves.  What this means is that you need to sculpt something and then offer it to the various companies.  If what you sculpted is good and the art director wants it for their line, they will buy it from you.  I worked in that mode for about 3 years before people started offering me commissions.  Other sculptors had given me the same advice I am giving you now back then, so I know I am not an isolated case.

The key to getting sold is to not always sculpt what you want, but to figure out what the clients will want.  I have a lot of crazy ideas that will never sell, so they just don't get done at this point.  To get sold, a sculpt needs to fit the style and mission of the company you are targeting.  Then you have to be lucky enough to hit them at a time when they don't have anything like what you have done. (I once did a set of goblins that a client really liked, but didn't take because they had just accepted a set of goblins from another sculptor the day before.) This can all take a lot of research and time.

Networking is also VERY important.  Getting to know the people in the industry, not just the art directors but the other sculptors and top painters really helps as well.  Attending miniature based Cons (such as ReaperCon) and being active on forums like this one and WAMP will really help.

<MOD VOICE>

Be careful about discussing sales and clients here.  This is a location for showing and discussing the sculpts only.  We cannot go too far into the specifics of the business aspect of sculpting here.  I personally never reveal my clients here (and only post work that my clients give me permission to post).

I got busted for this a few years back; it is easy and natural to talk about these things, but it is against the commerce rules.

Posts above edited to remove company names.

</MOD VOICE>

3 people like this

Thanks for the information, TaleSpinner, I"ll keep it in mind.  And don't worry, I don't discuss client stuff, or sales.  The only time I'll mention a company/client, is if I'm posting work I did for them, or if someone asks.  And I never post stuff that's still under NDA.  I'm really just looking for places to post work, as I'm available right now.  I just started this mini's thing about 3 years ago, and since I'm not a big forums guy, I haven't really looked in to any that have the pages I'd need.  I used to be heavy in to forums, back in my video game art days, but haven't been active on any forums in a long time.  But this seems like a good place.  People have been friendly so far, and I might get in to seeing what the other threads are like. 

Anyway, thanks again for the information.  I'll be sure to keep all that in mind. 

3 people like this