Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
My birthday is imminent (precioussss), and my husband gave me this resin ship model from German manufacturer Gelaendestuecke.
I've never done anything like this before: Never worked with resin, never made a ship model, never tried to figure out rigging and sails (they aren't included in the model and even the masts are just dowels at the moment).
So ... Woohoo, I have no idea what I'm doing. But I figure it'll be fun figuring it out.
Here's the box
And the instructions in their entirety
The hull and the deck
The wooden bits, the mast, bowsprit, and railings
The cabin has a few issues. Note the little spot the arrow points to. That becomes relevant later.
It also has a big missing spot from a bubble in the back
And a crack and missing piece on one side
Okay, so here's how I've begun it.
First I scrubbed the resin pieces with a toothbrush in very hot water and dish liquid. There was a nasty waxy substance under the hull which I assume is mold release.
Once cleaned, the bottoms of the pieces were really shiny, which seemed like it would cause a problem with the epoxy adhering.
But sanding resin is problematic. Its dust is very fine and lightweight and highly toxic. Bad stuff to breathe.
So I sanded them underwater, with a few drops of dish liquid add to break the surface tension so the dust wouldn't float on the water. Resin really wants to float.
Sanding on the cabin exposed a greasy, waxy white substance where that little splodge was, something like a white oil pastel, and kind of gross.
Scraping it out exposed more of it within the resin and lost a few flakes of the surface. It can be seen, rather big in this picture of the ship as it is at present.
And here's a side view.
This is the Sea Ghost from AD&D module U1: the sinister secret of saltmarsh. It will hopefully be used in my group's upcoming D&D pirates campaign set in 1600's Jamaica.
Its layers will be separable, with each surface being a sort of game board for each deck of the ship, from forecastle/poop, to main deck, to cargo deck, to bilge. I'm going to try to pin the layers together so they don't just fall apart by using the mast and rudder to keep the layers aligned when they are stacked.
It is made of 3/4" polystyrene insulation sheets, cut, stacked, and sanded down with a belt sander. In the end it will have paint and probably balsa wood details.
That's the Barnabas Frost mini that I posted in the show-off forum standing on the deck in a few of the photos.
By Chris Palmer
Ever since I started working on my Frostgrave waterfront last year, I have thought that the Reaper "Dark Maiden" figure would make a cool addition to my Frostgrave figure collection; taking the roll of either a dockside Construct, or even a Wraith or Demon. I was lucky enough to pick one up in a Box of Goodwill a while back, and it's been lingering on my painting table until I built up the courage to tackle it. I finally decided with the River scenario from the Frostgrave Thaw of the Lich Lord supplement on our schedule for next month, that it was time to build up my courage and tackle this beautiful figure.
In mulling over paint schemes, I decided that I wanted to do something like the grayish-brown of the masthead shown on the shipwreck of the Charlotte during the opening scenes of the movie "National Treasure."
This seemed simple enough, just some brown and grey drybrushing over a dark base. The hard part was going to be that I wanted to make it look possessed, with glowing eyes and glowing swords; and Object Source Lighting (OSL) still is not a strong technique for me. In the end I'm really happy with how it turned out. While I wish it had turned out a little more aged grey, and less brown; I still think it looks properly demonic. :)
These are from the Boat Pack, part of the Renaissance Miniatures East Asian line. I made them up for my husband's birthday.
On the whole they went together fairly straighforwardly. I found the cabin support hoops on the larger boat (they call it a "twakow" but "tongkang" may be a more common term -- I just think of it as a riverboat with a sail) needed a little shaving to fit into the openings on the deck. The planks that go over the hoops, making the shelter, were a little fiddly on both the sampan and the larger river boat. I ended up leaving off the top central plank on the sampan.
I include the Reaper Sea Lion and a Dark Sword mermaid warrior figure for scale.
These are the outrigger canoes, one with a sail:
This is the larger, sailed riverboat and the sampan:
Who's Online 24 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)